Breeder Help

Thread: Breeder Help

EH

DefaultBreeder Help

Hello,
    I live in Northern California and am looking for a family pet. We lost our 11 year old family member black lab a year ago to cancer. We live on a ranch on 40 acres and offer lots of love and attention. We have a 4 year old and a 6 year old that miss their "Roo" so much. Unfortunately we cannot take a chance on a rescue because we have a lot of visitors at the ranch and we feel we need to bond with our newest family member. I know a family that has gotten 3 labradors from Micon Labs (a yellow, black and chocolate). They are all GREAT family dogs that visit the ranch with the owners. They are wonderful around my children and completely a joy to be around. I am looking at placing a deposit with Micon because I believe the three dogs I do know are great pets. I am not interested in breeding or showing, however a mellow loveable, not the hunting (hyper kind) family dog is what I am looking for. Any suggestion on other breeders in Northern California as far as I can tell Micons have a great corner on the market. I am not ruling them out just want to get feedback.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Breeder Help

Interesting that you would post this as your first post when there was just a thread on the very same topic going... https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,12467.0.html The general concensus was we'd look somewhere else. Just because you don't actually want to show your dog doesn't mean someone shoud breed simply to pump puppies into the pet market. Check out the breeders that theoconbrio sugested.

PS. I'm giving you the benifit that you're not a troll, so stick around

Dani is offline Senior Member

Unfortunately we cannot take a chance on a rescue because we have a lot of visitors at the ranch and we feel we need to bond with our newest family member.
    This is one of the most uninformed things I have ever heard. If you think you need to get a puppy to bond you are sorely mistaken. Rescue dogs are socialized and fostered in a home and family environment before they are adopted out. They are treated just like part of the family. If you don't understand a rescue, then don't make ill informed statements about them please.

I have a foster right now that I have bonded with...I have bonded with all but 1 of my fosters, cry when they leave, and worry about their futures. Get a Micon dog if you want...I'm guessing your decision is already made so do what you have to.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Unfortunately we cannot take a chance on a rescue because we have a lot of visitors at the ranch and we feel we need to bond with our newest family member.
    Ditto to what Dani said. I have 6 labs; 5 of them rescues. My bond with some of my rescues is much closer than some I've had since they were puppies. Rescue dogs has a special sense about where they have come from and who has given them the good life.

I think it was two days before my rescued lab started to sleep next to my door at night. Within a month she was sleeping in the bed with her head on the pillow.

Like my aunt says about children, "all they need is for someone to love them."

You may get a puppy and it will be lovely, but if you rescue a dog you will know for the rest of its life that you made all the difference in the world. Why not check out the black lab rescue group...black peals I believe it is called. You will see!

Morgan with Lya and Friend Rocco

One Lab one Rhodesian both rescued

I understand where the original poster is coming from. Dogs are a liability whether they are raised from a pup or brought in as an adult. Someone who has a lot of interaction with the public at large has an even greater exposure to that liability so if the OP isn't willing to assume that risk with an adult then a pup "might" be a better choice.

That being said, Labs as a breed are very people oriented. Most love people and enjoy being around all kinds of people. Of course there are always exceptions and you may find yourself with one that doesn't particularly care for strangers. This could happen with a puppy just as easily as with an adult though. The only difference is it could be months or even years before you find this out about the puppy.

In case you aren't aware, most rescues foster their dogs in a home setting. The fosters see how this dog interacts with different people, animals, places, situations. They know a lot about the dog before it ever gets adopted. Of course they can't know EVERYTHING about the dog but they have a pretty good idea. I think what Dani was trying to say is don't rule out rescues so quickly. There are some awesome rescues out there that just need a second chance and yes they even get puppies in rescue. There are many rescues on this board. My Murray is a rescue and he is an awesome dog, but I may be a little biased.

Ditto what everyone else has said about rescues. My Cassie (in my siggy pic) is a rescue that I adopted through Golden Gate Lab Rescue (labrescue.org). She's the sweetest dog and LOVES everyone she meets. She especially loves to be around me and I'm positive she understands that I brought her into the good life she now enjoys. She and I bonded within hours of when I picked her up and our bond has only gotten stronger. Don't rule out a rescue - it could be the best thing you could do (and I highly recommend you check out GG Lab Rescue). Good luck!

I think rescued dog are more grateful as you are changing their lives, I've never had a rescued dog, but every street dog or even dogs in houses that were neglected, have build a strong bond with me (even when they dont live with me) maybe because they know I was the one person giving them affection and love. I would say, to at least go look and maybe you would connect before bringing him home.

georgie is offline Senior Member

And to add my 2 cents. We have had all field bred labs & not a one was hyper. Our newest lab, Abby, is a terror in the field but she is so mellow in the house. I could not ask for a better temperment in a lab. Also, not one of our labs had a mean bone in their bodies & we have 6 small grandchildren that give them labs a run for their money.
    Our girls are couch pototos when in the house.

I am new to the forum, but I just had to add my two cents worth. I feel I have to defend Micon Labs somewhat. We're no experts, but our experience with Sierra has been incredible. We got Sierra from Micons as a retired breeder 2 yrs ago and she has been the most precious thing we could have hoped for. We actually were put in touch with them by the lab rescue at the Davis Farmer's Market...what a break! Sierra is always the belle of the ball wherever we go...she was perfectly socialized and needed no time for adjustment. This is especially fortunate since we had NEVER had a dog before...she was the perfect starter dog. Perfectly housetrained, friendly to every other person, kid, dog, etc. Perfectly mellow yet very playful when appropriate. Our only regret was getting her when she was already 8 yrs old...the thought of losing her is just unbearable. With this in mind, we sought another dog this year. We had moved to Texas and found a local breeder (Cygnet Labs) through the local lab society who had an available adult dog (Maegan). She was 6 yrs old, had just one previous litter of puppies, and seemed to have a complimentary calm disposition to Sierra. Cygnet labs bills themselves as hobby breeders. The owner was as nice as she could be and obviously loved her dogs. Unfortunately, Maegan was not properly socialized. Anytime a stranger came to the door, she would go crazy barking, then she'd pee and go hide. It was even worse with children. Although she was just fine with Sierra (no dominance issues from either of them) and was adorable with us, and despite all sorts of advice from Cygnet, we had to give up after a few months with her after she took a little nip at one of the neighborhood kids. Fortunately, Cygnet had said that Maegan always had a home for her, and she took her back with no regrets. The point of this long post? Well, in our limited experience, we'd go back to Micons in a heartbeat for a dog with a temperament similar to Sierra. Sorry I don't have access to our pics of Sierra right now.

[attachment deleted by admin]