Dani?? and dock jumpers question.

Thread: Dani?? and dock jumpers question.

DefaultDani?? and dock jumpers question.

At Stony Creek (Rocherster Hills, Mi area) this weekend the park is hosting some dog dock jumping and was thinking of taking Darla.

When they land in the water from such a distance and speed does it ever knock the wind out of them or are there any other injuries to worry about? Too much water in the nose... etc?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dani?? and dock jumpers question.

Not an expert, but we've taken Emilu "dock-jumping" a few times and she loves it. When they first do it, they probably won't jump real far anyways, and I never worried about water up the nose or whatever and she kept doing it, so I guess she liked it.

First Jump

Maybe just a little water up the nose.....

Dani is offline Senior Member

Isn't that event the weekend of the 12th? http://www.splashdogs.com/rules/detroit2006.htm I haven't run in a splashdogs event...but the rules seem to be the same as Dock Dogs or Ultimate Air Dogs.

How does your dog jump in the water now? It wont be any different with the exception that they may bulk on the first run. The dog is 2 feet above the pool...and the dock is about 5 to 6 feet above the ground. There are a lot of dogs that are excited to get the toy that is thrown...but get to the end and stop...which is fine...you never want to push a dog in...either they will go with some coaxing or not. The first time Rider didn't know how to get out (there is a ramp coming out of the pool) so I had to get his attention to come to me to find the ramp.

I have never seen a dog get the wind knocked out of them...but each dog lands differently. Alot of the smaller framed dogs like the field labs and pitt bulls almost land in the water on their butts. Alot of the larger framed dogs and the border collies fly like Rider in my signature picture.

If they have a charity jump or a time when anyone can jump without competiting, I would suggest taht...otherwise, no...I don't believe their is anything major to worry about. My problem is not getting pulled up the stairs to the dock because Rider is impatient as all hell!

Have fun, ask questions! The people are great in dock jumping.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dare1969 Guest

Dockdogs were at the county fair this last weekend. What a huge event!!
    I could have stayed there and watched all day. I think Sydney would be
    perfect for that. You should see her fly off the poorch when she sees
    a bird in the yard.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I am going to give it a try on Sunday so if anyone else is up there let me know. Could use any tips I can get.

It will be an experience and will be interesting to see how Darla reacts to lots of other testosterone/estrogen charged dogs. I envision throwing the toy and instead of going after it will go play lickey face with another dog.

Wish us luck!

Quote Originally Posted by BradsDarla
    Could use any tips I can get.
    Most dock dog competitions have a practice session before each wave.* Take advantage of this.* As Dani says, some dogs balk the first time they reach the end of the dock.* Murray is psycho for fetch and water so I'm not even sure he realizes he was high above the water.* He jumped off the dock like he had been doing it for years.

Some dogs are too amped to listen (that would be Murray) so you may or may not get a "stay".* You want to know this before you try for the official jump.* You also want the dog to leap from the very edge of the dock.* For every inch back from that, it shortens the distance of the jump by that much.* Use the practice session to figure out exactly where to sit the dog for the start (go as far back as possible so the dog can gain speed but you need to figure out his stride length so he doesn't leap too early or stutter step to hit the end of the dock).*

You should also try a few different techniques for the throw during the warm up.* My SU races Murray then tosses the toy at the last second because Murray is so competitive he wants to get to the water & toy first.* Some people put the dog in a stay, walk to the edge of the dock and toss the toy as the dog reaches the end of the dock.* Some people lead the dog to the dock edge, toss the toy in making sure the dog sees it, then bring the dog to the far end of the dock and let them go.* Every dog is different, you need to figure out what works best for your dog.* When you toss the toy you are going to want height as well as distance.* The dogs with the longest leaps are those that have good air.* When they leap they will be almost vertical but with lots of forward momentum.

I've never seen a dog get the wind knocked out of them.* I assume this is because the dog brings his back legs up under him as he hits the water so he really doesn't do a belly flop even though it may look like it.