Why can't they all be on a leash??? (vent)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why can't they all be on a leash??? (vent)

DefaultWhy can't they all be on a leash??? (vent)

I walk my dog almost every day in our neighborhood and I have had some issues with her before when she sees other dogs, she will jump at them and whine and stuff like that, and it looks like she is wild to a passerby and to be honest it can be hard to control but we are working on it every time we walk. She is a lot better when we pass dogs in a fenced in area and she has been to playschool and plays well with all the other dogs...we think she just wants to play with every dog she sees. Anyway some people let there dogs run loose and when they run up to us she freaks out...I hate this situation so much that I want to quit walking her. Trust me I am working on controling her in these situations but so far nothing I have tried has worked. I just wish people could keep their dogs on a leash or in a fenced in yard! Guess this is more a vent than anything else, thought you all could understand my issue here. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Why can't they all be on a leash??? (vent)

I agree and you are right, they should be leashed or supervised. I cringe any time a "free" dog comes our way. Not so much for my Darla but if it gets ugly the free dogs owners never think they are in the wrong if their pooch gets the short end of the stick.

I agree with you.* I have 3 and I can only take one for a walk at a time because of that.* My aussie X saw someone walking a dog across the street, in the opposite direction, a busy road and I literally had to make her sit and stay sitting between my legs, holding with all my might, until they were far enough in the other direction to keep her attention away.* And that dog was on a leash too!* I do believe that a dog somewhat feels trapped and not in control when they are on leash and another dog is off.* *Almost like they are saying "That is not fair Mommy. Let me go too". They tend to get more anxious when on leash than off.* I understand you and will vent with you because I love to take my dogs for walks once in a while and we can never walk past that house on the corner with the Golden Retriever because they would be too tired to even go for the rest of the walk! At parks when I can let them off leash they play so nicely with the other loose dogs. But on a leash it seems like they want to kill them!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

I don't like free running dogs coming up to Molly. She gets nervous when on a leash & she loves other dogs. I think it is the fear of not being able to get away because they are on a leash. Do you know whose dogs they are?
    It is a shame to quit your walks becasuse of the loose dogs.

I am sorry that you have had the same problem that I have had but it is good to hear that I am not alone with her behavior. I will continue with out walks and I am hoping that if I continue to work on her behavior when she sees another dog on leash or in a fence that the good reaction will trickle down to off leash dogs too. I have been reading some articles that someone recommended and they have helped so hopefully the behavior will eventually trickle down

We have a huge problem with that here. Many are aggressive and sneak up behind Barnsley snarling. I get so scared that a fight will start. He gets so hyper when this happens that my shoulder aches for days. It is almost every other day it seems. There are so many irresponsible people out there. It is a shame that our dogs have to suffer because of that.

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

I can't even imagine. Moose used to really pull and try to get to other dogs as well and I have worked really hard to get him to stay next to me. Because he would lunge towards other dogs I finally had to keep him at heel all of the time. Kind of the Ceasar Milan method. This has worked so much better for me. My SU actually calculated the amount of pull a dog has at the end of a leash vs a short hold on the leash and the delta is huge. I now keep the leash loose in the shape of a J but it isn't any longer than about 3 ft. It allows me to provide a correction much quicker. Both of my dogs now also know the "halt" command. If they start to go away from me I issue the halt - that usually gives me time to redirect. Moose can only greet dogs after he has sat and shown he is in control. I guess the good side of living in a very suburban area is that you never see stray dogs - it is pretty much unheard of unless someone's dog has gotten out of there backyard. THe down side is that we don't have any good places to go off leash.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I totally agree with Sharon(Dakkerdog). Keep the leash short and keep them at your side, walking at a steady pace. When you pass anything they want to pull toward (rabbit, cat , dog,etc.) , just give your stern command, "leave it", "no","chshh", or whatever you use, but don't change walking pace or seem concerned. They pick up on your anxiety.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

You are not alone with this problem. I can't stand loose dogs.

One woman who lives near me has a Bearded Collie and claims that "she doesn't need a leash". Enough said. :

What kind of collar do you use when you are walking your dogs that tend to pull when they see other dogs? I have used the gentle leader and the prong collar. i was reading that the gentle leader is better b/c the correction of a prong can be an issue when correcting aggressive behavior, can't quite remember the reasoning in the article i read but it made sense. Just wondering what you have found to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast