I am at the end of my rope, I need help with

Thread: I am at the end of my rope, I need help with

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultI am at the end of my rope, I need help with

getting Boo to listen. She was doing fairly well with her training, but now she has the worst case of selective hearing I have ever seen! She will not listen when she is excited. If we have company, the first 5-10 minutes she is totally deaf. Not one bit of training works. Nothing! I know at 8 months she is still a puppy but we can't have her out of control around people. What do you suggest??
    I am truly at my wits end. :-[

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I am at the end of my rope, I need help with

I can recommend keeping her on leash when you are expecting guests and use corrections until she is calm, then you can unleash her. When she's excited and not listening, ignore her, pay her absolutely no attention until she calms down...then reinforce the good behavior. Don't know if this will help but the "ignoring" works well in our home.

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I agree with putting her on leash when guest first arive. Or you can put her in her crate for the first 10-15 minutes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

What Randi said. ;D

Henery still can be a monkey when guests come over. I used to have to keep him on a leash, because he used to jump up on people, but he's gotten better. The trick is to train your guests to ignore Boo when she's being silly (and deaf). This may be harder to do, train your guests, than to train Boo!

When Boo is relatively calm, then she gets treats and lovin's. She'll learn that the quicker she's calm, the faster she'll get the good stuff.
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

pj
    pj is offline Senior Member

oh boo, you silly puppy!

i agree with all of the suggestions above. theo (almost 2yrs old) will still have his episodes of going bonkers when company comes over, but he's gotten much much better.

we have been able to make great strides by leashing him and trying to stress to company not to pay attention to him until he calms down. like henry's mom said, this is more times than not the harder part. we often forget that the "eeks" and laughs or other reactions by guests are just reinforcing his craziness. even constant correction reinforces the behavior, after all negative attn is better than no attn at all in their minds . of course all of this is much easier said than done ! it just takes consistency, consistency, patience, and a little more patience.

good luck, keep us posted on her progress!
    <br />pj, theo &amp; dexter

georgie is offline Senior Member

I wonder if it's the age. Molly did that & even though she is obedient with everything else, she still needs corrected when people come. She gets so excited she can barely remain in her sit/stay position. She even has her CGC but still gets excited when people come to the house. She is fine after the initial greetings but it's like she has to be first to greet everyone. :

The leash being on when people arrive works well.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Hang in there they do get better. Kassa was so bad people couldn't open the door and she drove everyone so insane I had to lock her away. I then read this isn't good.

I left a note on the door telling people to ignore her when they came in. Once they were in I told them not to look at her, pat her...nothing at all for 5 mins. I also did the same thing when I came home at night. It was working well, but she got sick so don't know how it would have been long term.

When I got Ernie I did this and he now sits by the door until I open it, tries to get attention then goes away when he realises he wont get any. He doesn't demand the attention as Kassa did. some Labs can't help themselves they are so friendly.

I wish I had done something with her when she was younger. I had let her go thinking it was cute and she was being friendly, but as she grew bigger it became more annoying.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Don't give a command that you can't back up with a correction and that means with the leash.
    Olie

Debbie S. is offline Senior Member

Ok, I'm laughing because my Lab is 9 1/2....but I well remember her puppy days...she was not my first dog either, but she was the hardest as far as training...I'm laughing because I was at the end of my rope many times with her...you did get excellent advice...get the leash , and if you believe in the choke chain collars, put that on (but don't leave it on when you are not with the dog) if you have not used one before an obedience instructor who does use them (I know some don't now a days, but I don't know how I would have trained my Lab without one) can show you the correct way to put it on and use it...Always praise them well when they are being good, but don't get them all worked up..
    You will need a lot of patience, at least my Lab was very much a puppy until after the age of 3...then things do get better....I promise....
    Also I did find it worth the extra money to have an obedience instructor come over and give me a couple of private lessons...I had had a couple of other dogs before Katie, so I was no stranger to obedience training...but like you, I was losing my cool with her, and I knew that was not good for me, or for her...she was my first Lab....I had a sheltie, a chow, and a collie before Katie, and all those dogs were not difficult to train at all, they all had a "willingness to please" attitude.. which Katie just did not have as a puppy..
    So, hang in there..
    Debbie