Growth on Lip

Thread: Growth on Lip

DefaultGrowth on Lip

I was rubbing Cinnamon after dinner and notice a growth on her lips in the fleshy part of her jowl on the inside. It hangs loose like a skin tag but it kind of rough. It is about the size of a pea. It hides inside her mouth most of the time. It is the same color as the interior of her flesh of her mouth.

I am trying to get a picture but I am home alone and she is not cooperating.

Of course she is going to the vet on Monday. In fact I may see if I can get her in tomorrow at the clinic I take her to that is open 7 days a week.

I am hoping it is nothing but who knows. If anyone has seen any thing similar I would appreciate knowing what you found out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Growth on Lip

How* old is she?

Do you have a copy of Giffin & Carlson's "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook"?

If so look up oral papillomas.

It looks like it could be that.

They're common in dogs less than 2 years old and usually remit spontaneously within about 6 weeks.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks Bob,

I googled it as I don't have the vet book I will be ordering it ASAP.

It looks just like that. She won't be 2 until November 18th. So I will keep an eye on it and take her to the vet just to make sure.

Karon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

exactly what Bob said..

shadow got a few of those
    it reminded me of a wart
    one time she had one when she had a vet appt for something else
    the vet squished it - then it was gone within a few days or so.
    he told us it was common for younger dogs

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

(Papillomas are warts and caused by a virus)

We "vet" at K-State's CVM Tchng Hospl.* Overall, I've been generally pleased with the quality of service, the expertness of care, and the reasonableness of the fees.

One of the rare times that was an exception was when I took Puff (YF, AKC field line, 63 lbs., dob: 8-'01) in for some other problem and we saw a new young male vet we'd never seen before.* Puff had 3-4 small papillomas on her lips on one side -- the largest, as I recall, was about half the size of the eraser on the usual #2 lead pencil.*

This vet, possibly practicing his skill for when he was in private practice?, suggested I make an appointment to have them surgically removed.

BUT I'd previously read G&C which had advised if they DO NOT remit spontaneously in 6-12 weeks they can be surgically removed.* However, as the dog's immune system gets stronger, it usually overcomes the virus that causes them.

I declined his offer and they did go away.

Without G&C, I would have made the appointment, subjected Puff to unneeded surgery, and me to FAR more expense than the $25 (US) + S&H the book cost from Amazon.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

georgie is offline Senior Member

It sounds like it could be a papilloma. They go away on their own in a few weeks. But it is always best to have the vet check them.

PhoebeJeebies is offline Senior Member

Phoebe had one of those as well - papilloma wart...it just cleared up on its own...shrunk away and died.
    Becca & Phoebe

That book has paid for itself when I had to treat Oona for a sprained hock rather than take a trip to the vet. Plus when the vet asked me how I treated Oona's sprain he looked at me as if I were a genius from my response. ;D
    Olie