lots of questions (long one..)

Thread: lots of questions (long one..)

Defaultlots of questions (long one..)

Hey everyone, I just joined and even though my pups are 9 months old I have a lot of questions...

1- We switched the dogs from puppy food to adult about 2 weeks ago and Gracie who has never been much of a food motivated dog has no interest in eating now. We feed them Nutro Lamb and Rice. It seems really hard for her to chew and even when I have tried wetting it down shes not into it to much. Is there a food one might suggest? We tried Iams and we switched when I started reading how everyone thought it was garbage food. She is been prone to uti's and about a month ago chews her feet on and off (not to bad, but is any foot chewing to much??) Also, I was brushing Tundras teeth last week and I noticed a row of larger teeth on both sides missing. Is this normal?? Its about half way up on the same tooth on both sides. It's just gums, doesn't even look like they ever came in.

2 - for moms and dads with two dogs. How rough do you let your pups play?? Gracie and Tundra get going pretty bad sometimes and although they have never drew blood, I wonder if its a bad idea to even allow aggressive play.

3 - Neither pup was a "chewer" up untill a couple weeks ago we have been so lucky and have let the dogs have run of the house when we were gone. We crate trained untill they were potty trained and then tried to leave them out and they proved themselves to be trustworthy - UNTILL NOW... They have ripped wall paper off the walls, chewed wood work, hole in the wall, shoes, etc. We work long days and I hate the idea of crating them but for there own safety I think we have to. Could this be a stage? Will we be able to trust them out again? Also, just to add we leave them with stuffed kongs, marrow bones, toys galore and one day a week they do get to go to daycare.

4 - we need some suggestions on good books to read for training or tips from othere owners with littermates. I always here you can always teach an old dog new tricks - we dont want tricks, we want manners, manners, manners... I often read about NILF would you all suggest that method?? If so, is there a book on that? Also a side note for the training- Gacie has shown some "personalities" lately im not to fond of, like growling at people and acting timid around new visitors. I think this was the same way her Mom was, and up untill now shes been so friendly and loved people I never worried. She seems distant lately. At night she will go lay alone, and just seems depressed. Can dogs go through a depression?

5 - (Sorry, I know this is long...) Ticks, scabs, and bumps. I try and brush and check the pups a lot. Would I know if they had ticks? They have scabs and I think its from where they play with one another and grab on a little to tight. (they seem to go for the ears/neck) But would I know it if they had a tick? I have also noticed on Tundra's front legs he has there bumps that almost look like bites. When I pull the hair back it looks like a white pea sized bump. I tried squeezing it and nothing comes out. I was just worried it might be a tick that got under the skin or something. They are up to date with advantix but we are out in the woods and swim a lot.

6 - nail clipping.... Where to start. From day one I have tried to touch the dogs feet alot so they would be ok with us clipping there nails. Well, we were doing good and then I think I may have got a little close a time or two and they HATE it now. Can we change this?? Gracie go's and hides now when she sees them and the other night I felt so bad, I was litteraly holding her down. She was crying, whining and wimpering and pulling away every clip. I have never made them bleed, but is it just the feeling they hate? I have tried holding peanut butter containers for them and clipping and it was working, but not now. How can I make this work? We live a ways away from the vet and they charge 40.00 to do them.

I cant thank you enough if you are taking the time to read this and reply- im new at all this and I feel like Im failing as a Mom. I want my pups to be healthy and happy and Im such a worry wart - so any advice will help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: lots of questions (long one..)

Quote Originally Posted by Heids533
    2 - for moms and dads with two dogs.* How rough do you let your pups play??* Gracie and Tundra get going pretty bad sometimes and although they have never drew blood, I wonder if its a bad idea to even allow aggressive play.
    Littermates seem to play rougher with each other than with other dogs. I wouldn't be overly concerned unless they're injuring each other, but it is a good idea to teach them a 'settle' command when you have had enough of the noise and roughness.

3 - Neither pup was a "chewer" up untill a couple weeks ago we have been so lucky and have let the dogs have run of the house when we were gone.* We crate trained untill they were potty trained and then tried to leave them out and they proved themselves to be trustworthy - UNTILL NOW...* They have ripped wall paper off the walls, chewed wood work, hole in the wall, shoes, etc.* We work long days and I hate the idea of crating them but for there own safety I think we have to.* Could this be a stage?* Will we be able to trust them out again?* Also, just to add we leave them with stuffed kongs, marrow bones, toys galore and one day a week they do get to go to daycare.
    yep, back to the crate or a completely dog-proofed room (and with two adolescents, I would remove everything, down to the carpet and light fixtures )

4 - we need some suggestions on good books to read for training or tips from othere owners with littermates.* I always here you can always teach an old dog new tricks - we dont want tricks, we want manners, manners, manners...* I often read about NILF would you all suggest that method??* If so, is there a book on that?* *Also a side note for the training- Gacie has shown some "personalities" lately im not to fond of, like growling at people and acting timid around new visitors.* I think this was the same way her Mom was, and up untill now shes been so friendly and loved people I never worried.* She seems distant lately.* At night she will go lay alone, and just seems depressed.* Can dogs go through a depression?
    With almost all of the littermates raised together I've known, there ends up being one confident dog and one timid/insecure one. With Gracie, you MUST get her out and socializing without her sister, and the sooner this happens the better. Make sure she meets a variety of people of all ages, sizes and ethnic backgrounds. Take treats with you and have people feed her, or you feed her when other people are nearby. Don't force the issue, let her approach people on her own volition. A good obedience trainer will help you with this.

Here is my favourite "NILIF" programme: http://www.dragonflyllama.com/%20DOGS/Writing/LTD.html

Trickster is offline Senior Member

1- We switched the dogs from puppy food to adult about 2 weeks ago and Gracie who has never been much of a food motivated dog has no interest in eating now. We feed them Nutro Lamb and Rice. It seems really hard for her to chew and even when I have tried wetting it down shes not into it to much. Is there a food one might suggest? We tried Iams and we switched when I started reading how everyone thought it was garbage food. She is been prone to uti's and about a month ago chews her feet on and off (not to bad, but is any foot chewing to much??) Also, I was brushing Tundras teeth last week and I noticed a row of larger teeth on both sides missing. Is this normal?? Its about half way up on the same tooth on both sides. It's just gums, doesn't even look like they ever came in.
    Have you tried soaking her food in warm water? fussy eaters often prefer this. Don't add anything like pieces of meat to her kibble unless you want to continue doing it for life!

Persistant UTI's, feet chewing, etc., is often a sign of a food intolerance. There are SO many brands of high quality food out there I do suggest switching from Iams. You will probably find switching them from Iams to a premium brand will make a huge difference in their health overall. As for which brand to pick...research and experiment.

I'm not really sure about the teeth...are they in the back? canine molars take longer then the front ones to come through. I also wouldn't bother with the teeth cleaning. Have you tried giving them raw marrow bones? they work wonders for keeping teeth clean AND they entertain them for hours.

2 - for moms and dads with two dogs. How rough do you let your pups play?? Gracie and Tundra get going pretty bad sometimes and although they have never drew blood, I wonder if its a bad idea to even allow aggressive play.
    Labs LOVE rough play. I wouldn't worry about it at all. They are not being aggressive...just having fun.

3 - Neither pup was a "chewer" up untill a couple weeks ago we have been so lucky and have let the dogs have run of the house when we were gone. We crate trained untill they were potty trained and then tried to leave them out and they proved themselves to be trustworthy - UNTILL NOW... They have ripped wall paper off the walls, chewed wood work, hole in the wall, shoes, etc. We work long days and I hate the idea of crating them but for there own safety I think we have to. Could this be a stage? Will we be able to trust them out again? Also, just to add we leave them with stuffed kongs, marrow bones, toys galore and one day a week they do get to go to daycare.
    It sounds like they are just bored. Do you exercise them before you go? do an hour of running, swimming, retrieving or a combination of both before you leave and I bet you won't have any problems.

4 - we need some suggestions on good books to read for training or tips from othere owners with littermates. I always here you can always teach an old dog new tricks - we dont want tricks, we want manners, manners, manners... I often read about NILF would you all suggest that method?? If so, is there a book on that? Also a side note for the training- Gacie has shown some "personalities" lately im not to fond of, like growling at people and acting timid around new visitors. I think this was the same way her Mom was, and up untill now shes been so friendly and loved people I never worried. She seems distant lately. At night she will go lay alone, and just seems depressed. Can dogs go through a depression?
    Good advice from kaytris on this one.

Another thing you must work on with littermates is alone time. Littermates or any two dogs reared together from a young age can become overly attached to one another. You MUST spend time with them individually daily to avoid separation problems occuring in the future.

5 - (Sorry, I know this is long...) Ticks, scabs, and bumps. I try and brush and check the pups a lot. Would I know if they had ticks? They have scabs and I think its from where they play with one another and grab on a little to tight. (they seem to go for the ears/neck) But would I know it if they had a tick? I have also noticed on Tundra's front legs he has there bumps that almost look like bites. When I pull the hair back it looks like a white pea sized bump. I tried squeezing it and nothing comes out. I was just worried it might be a tick that got under the skin or something. They are up to date with advantix but we are out in the woods and swim a lot.
    The white pea size bump sounds exactly like a tick. You should remove it ASAP. Here's how;

http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=2383

I would not worry about the scabs. Mine get a lot of these from rough play and they heal up just fine.

6 - nail clipping.... Where to start. From day one I have tried to touch the dogs feet alot so they would be ok with us clipping there nails. Well, we were doing good and then I think I may have got a little close a time or two and they HATE it now. Can we change this?? Gracie go's and hides now when she sees them and the other night I felt so bad, I was litteraly holding her down. She was crying, whining and wimpering and pulling away every clip. I have never made them bleed, but is it just the feeling they hate? I have tried holding peanut butter containers for them and clipping and it was working, but not now. How can I make this work? We live a ways away from the vet and they charge 40.00 to do them.
    A much better way of nail care is to wear them down naturally. I do some roadwork several times a week with my dogs and I have never had to cut their nails. Try doing some road walking once or twice a week and see if you notice a difference.

Hope that helps.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Janna and Boomer is offline Senior Member

3 - Neither pup was a "chewer" up untill a couple weeks ago we have been so lucky and have let the dogs have run of the house when we were gone. We crate trained untill they were potty trained and then tried to leave them out and they proved themselves to be trustworthy - UNTILL NOW... They have ripped wall paper off the walls, chewed wood work, hole in the wall, shoes, etc. We work long days and I hate the idea of crating them but for there own safety I think we have to. Could this be a stage? Will we be able to trust them out again? Also, just to add we leave them with stuffed kongs, marrow bones, toys galore and one day a week they do get to go to daycare
    They are probably just beginning the naughtiest phase of their lives. Exactly what you want to hear, huh? Boomer was not consistently trustworthy enough to have the run of the house until he was 3 years old. We had to start with him having the run of the house only at night, and gradually worked into evenings when we were gone, and then daytime. Also, your dogs may be totally different, but Boomer tends to choke on marrow bones. I would not leave them alone with anything but a kong, or some other indestructive rubber toy.

Boomer hates this as well. It used to be a fight every time for us. Once my husband got a pretty hard kick to the crotch, and now refuses to trim nails. The only way I could get Boomer to not fight me was to make him sit, and then I held out my hand like "shake" and I guess I just act very VERY calm during this. Now he doesn't fight, he just tolerates it. Sometimes he tries to walk away but no fighting or moaning. This will probably come in time for you.