100 degrees, 7 Labs, 7 adults, 3 preschoolers @ LabFest-Topeka today.

Thread: 100 degrees, 7 Labs, 7 adults, 3 preschoolers @ LabFest-Topeka today.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Default100 degrees, 7 Labs, 7 adults, 3 preschoolers @ LabFest-Topeka today.

With the incessant heat, our attendance at our Saturday 2-3 PM Topeka LabFest has sometimes dwindled down to 3.

So I e-mailed everyone and extolled our location (in the shade of a tall stand of pines with their lowest branches at least 20 ft. off the ground) on a knoll where -- if there's any breeze at all, we'll have it.

So 10 people and 7 Labs showed up and we did have the breeze.* It was strong enough that one of our members with 2 preschoolers flew a kite for their amusement.* *The wind was coming from a point that he had to stand in the sun to fly it.* The kids, wisely, stayed in the shade and watched.

We had one guest from KC, MO, and her Lab, a BF ("Jordan") who was a cousin visiting one of our regulars.

To my surprise, Puff instigated a couple rounds of "Catch me if you can"* in which she played the part of the uncatchable mechanical rabbit at dog races.

Several people brought jugs of ice cubes along with the usual water and most Labs enjoyed those.

Two Labs with unquenchable desires for swimming wandered off about a quarter mile away and found a branch of the Shunganunga River and swam.* Their owners had to help them find a way out because they'd scampered down a bank too steep and crumbly to climb back up.* That's the first time THAT'S happened (swimming) in 4 years.

It was comfortable out there -- while we stayed there.* On the quarter mile walk back, everyone unconsciously headed for the islands of shade -- "connect these dots" -- to escape the searing sun on the way back to our cars.* It reminded me of how we crossed Vermont brooks when growing up, jumping from one big stone to another.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lab addict is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 100 degrees, 7 Labs, 7 adults, 3 preschoolers @ LabFest-Topeka today.

Reading this makes me want summer! It is 4 degrees celcius here and all my labs are hogging the fire! Sounds like you have a great group of labs to meet up with!

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 100 degrees, 7 Labs, 7 adults, 3 preschoolers @ LabFest-Topeka today.

Man, you really, really need to bring a camera with you to all of these outings you guys have...you do a great job describing them, don't get me wrong, but I always hope to see some more Puff photos!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

"Man, you really, really need to bring a camera with you to all of these outings you guys have...you do a great job describing them, don't get me wrong, but I always hope to see some more Puff photos!"

One truth is, I've always far more enjoyed trying to accurately describe something so people can see it (in their mind's eye) and feel it rather than trying to be a photojournalist.

Another equally important truth is that while I can use my old Olympus OM-2 SLR without any problem, reading the manual of the digital camera I bought each time I want to use it, going through its myriad menu screens and options, etc., is just way too much of a PITA.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Paola is offline Senior Member

Sounds like fun, other than the heat. We're having a bad heatwave - I only take the dogs out early morning and in the evening. Mid morning is just a quick pee.

SamIAm is offline Senior Member

Sounds really nice!

Frances

clancey canuck Guest

;D ;D