How do I train Boo --

Thread: How do I train Boo --

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow do I train Boo --

when she takes something out of your hand to take it E A S Y? She doesn't bite hard but you end up with your hand in her mouth. Also any suggestions how to settle her when we get company and she is out of control? It's like she turns her ears off. REALLY frustrating. ??? ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How do I train Boo --

I trained Henery to "take it nice" or "gentle" this way (we learned in puppy kindergarten oh so long ago!! LOL!):

We used kibble, high enough value for him to want it, but not like steak or cheese! LOL!

I held one kibble at a time between my fingers. I told him to "take it nice". If he took it in such a way that I felt any teeth at all, I'd say, "Uh-uh!" and palm the kibble. Then we'd try again.... and again.... and again. Eventually he got it!

If Boo is especially teethy, I wonder if you could do the same but start by giving her the kibble if she's gentle with her teeth, but not if she's hard, and then phasing that out over time by only giving her the treat when you feel no teeth at all? I guess you want to set realistic goals so that Boo isn't frustrated and is getting rewarded appropriately.

Good luck!!
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

pj
    pj is offline Senior Member

theo used to be a TERROR with this when he was a puppy and our puppyK trainer taught us this technique (along the same lines as henery's mom ):

she said to hold the treat in your closed palm, present it to him along with a command word (we used "gentle") and only let him have it when he used his lips and tongue to take it. if he used his teeth at all, we immediately took our palm away and said uh-unh. we repeated this over and over and over and then over again and now he's really good.

i think we used the closed palm technique b/c it would make theo have to nose/lip for the treat -- he used to be a chomping monster!
    <br />pj, theo &amp; dexter

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I remember now!! We did similar as for Theo initially, then between the fingers!

Also, if you have little kids who want to feed Boo, teach them to put the treat in their open palm.
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Great!!! Boo is pretty smart and learns quickly. Hopefully this will be learned quickly too. No little kids, but I'll keep that in mind.
    Thanks for the response. I really appreciate it. When I do post, I don't usually get much response so you know how much this means to me.

No problemo!! Hope it works for Boo!

I just re-read your question and realized there was a 2nd part to it... as far as teaching settle when company comes, well, we're still working on that with Henery!

If you can get your guests to co-operate, have them ignore Boo completely until she's relatively calm. It's hard to do, train your guests. I have friends who come over who love to ring the doorbell repeatedly to get Henery all riled up and then rough house with him immediately when they come in. Seriously, it's easier to train a dog than a human!! LOL!

Pretty soon Boo will learn that the quicker she settles, the quicker she gets attention and treats! And if you figure out a good way to train your guests, let me know so I can train mine!!

putertutor is offline Senior Member

We did the closed palm technique for Lexie too...She's always gentle when she takes a treat or object in my hand now. We taught her "leave it" and "take it" at the same time, I'm trying to work on her only taking a treat from my hand now if I give her permission, she's getting better with that, I'm the one that has to always remember to tell her to take it.

Lexie is still confined to the family room when she's in the house. When company comes I give them a treat and she has to sit when greating them in order to get the treat. Of course all bets are off when we're in the backyard and someone comes over. :
    <br /><br />http://www.lexiethelab.com<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />http://lexiethelab.com/shopping-resources