Rejecting stitches from spay

Thread: Rejecting stitches from spay

DefaultRejecting stitches from spay

Jaden was spayed back at the end of May. A few weeks ago (six weeks later),I noticed what looked like a blister on her belly near her scar from the incision from the spay. It was a Sunday, so we called the hospital. They did not seem concerned and they said to compress it with a hot towel to see if it goes down. Well, since we brought attention to it, she punctured it. We had to take her in. They found 3 inner stitches that she was rejecting. They told us some dogs just reject them. Has anyone ever heard of this or had this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rejecting stitches from spay

I don't know if it's the same thing...but Brigetta was spayed in June and she developed what the vet call a "reaction to her stitches" she said it wasn't uncommon. She has a lump about the size of a golf ball near the incision. After her stitches were removed the lump went away within a few weeks. I hope Jaden feels better soon.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

I don't know if it is the same thing but years ago I had a skin cancer taken off my leg. It was deep enough that it required dissolveable stitches inside. About 3 months after it was removed I notice a piece of suture material sticking out of my leg when I shaved. Thay had to go in and remove all 3 internal stitches because my body rejected them and caused them not to disolve and they were working their way to the surface as the top layers of skin shed normally.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

Molly had a small lump in the middle of her incision after her spay. I took her to the vet & she said it was just a reaction to her sutures & it would go away. It did. I guess that is common.

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

My silky had shoulder surgery and rejected his stitches. They had to go in again with a laser and clean the incision and then stiched from the outside with silk. It's was a sort of involved healing process for him. be very careful and watch the are very carefully.

Jaden is fine! She is all healed now, we hope! I guess she was just unfortunate to have the problem. We had never heard of it happening. And unfortunately for us, the vet bill on the procedure cost almost as much as her spay. We got her pet insurance afterwards. Lessons learned for us!!