another post made me think( long)

Thread: another post made me think( long)

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

Defaultanother post made me think( long)

I was reading another post warning against BYB. It made me think I guess how I got my three was all wrong. I understand the warnings about BYB and they are all very true ,in fact some ads I read make me cringe. Even when my vet tech keeps trying to promote silver I just keep my mouth shut very hard, but I don't feel like matching wits with someone like that. It seems unfair to her. All this being said let me tell you about my crew.

Brodie: I was 20 years old getting my first apartment living in VA. I saw an add for Scotties I called her and she said he had a 12 week old boy that really was developing a personality. Through the years that is an understatement that still makes me laugh. I went to pick him up, everything screamed puppy mill. Everything the books warn you about was there. Right down to not being allowed to see where the dog was kept. I looked at this little black dog and had to save him from that. I took him and he has been my best friend ever since he is a great boy. It will be 8 years I have been laughing at this clown.

Zoey: I was looking for a chocolate lab. A friend at work had a neighbor that wanted to give a black lab away. She was just a year old and they had not time for her they worked 12 hours out of a day and had not time for her. They gave her to another family that ended up not being able to keep her. They had adopted a little girl and Zoey scared her half to death. Then we get her. i have every piece of paper work on her and guess what. While I believe her breeders to love their dogs. They bred a litter with a sire with known constant ear trouble guess what my girl inherited. Yes the ear constant trouble.

Dakota: Again i was interested in adopting a different color. I was dealing with American lab rescue. I can not say enough good things about this group. I agreed to foster Dakota while waiting for a dog I wanted to adopt. I fell in Love with him he fit into the household so well, I called the rescue and told them he is home. They were great about it. Dakotas history is unknown but he is tall lanky and grey hound thin. I'm try to put weight on him. I'm guessing his lines are not that great either, just bred to be a lab. While I do not support the BYB I do whole heartedly support the rescue groups for any breed. With Dakota some threw out a perfectly good dog. He is lover dog he loves his people and the other 2 dogs.

I love my motley black dog crew they provide hours of love and entertainment. I think Labby said my dogs hold many titles but the most important title is beloved pet. The only reason I decided to share this is I did everything wrong when selecting a pet. I think I'm very lucky to have the crew that I have. The unwanted band of black gypsy dogs. I guess some things just work out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: another post made me think( long)

I truly think your post is a wonderful statement to all the great dogs and their owners who aquired there beloved pets the way, lets face it, most people do. I had tears in my eyes just reading how great your story turned out. I too understand why BYB is not a good thing, but it will always be a reality of life and thank god there are great people in this world to adopt these wonderful pets. I chose to do my homework this time and we adopted Ruger from a wonderful kennel close to my home town, but my wonderful golden who passed away last year ( Gunner) was also from a BYB who thought her little little golden would have great pups with very large golden just because the males owners wanted to see if their would be another pup i the litter who looked like their dog. At that stage of my life I never gave their reason a thought,nor did I ever find out if any of Gunners sibings looked like the dad ( he sure didn't) but my neighbor and I both adopted one and now Gunner and Maxi crossed the bridge in the same month last year, but they had a great run while they were with us. I appreciate everyone's opinion on this board and yours is just one more to add to my list.

Thanks
    Jan & Ruger

georgie is offline Senior Member

Your story is so heartwarming. I feel all dogs deserve a chance...they can't help how they got here. Your crew looks wonderful. Who can put a price or titles on unconditional love? That is what is important.

Also, I think there is a difference in BYB's & Puppy mills but that is another thread.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

I think there is a big difference too. Just so happens I guess my case covers both. I hate to think of Brodie being sold in a pet shop or his litter mates. However I would not have put it past that woman. i took the puppy a ran, it just turned out well.