question about chewing bones....

Thread: question about chewing bones....

eklind51 is offline Senior Member

Defaultquestion about chewing bones....

A friend of mine gave me a Choobles Knuckle Bone for Ginger. I haven't given it to her yet but is this a good bone for her to chew at 4 months old? I will keep a close eye on her while she's chewing it. Also after she done chewing do I put it in a ziploc and freeze it or just leave it in a ziploc?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: question about chewing bones....

Yep, it should be absolutely fine. I gave my dogs bones when they were pups providing they were supervised.

Is the bone raw or cooked? cooked bones can splinter easily and I wouldn't recommend them for any dog. Raw bones on the other hand are one of the best things you can feed. Great for keeping them entertained as well as satisfying a dogs natural need to chew. They also maintain teeth brilliantly.

If the bone is a raw bone I would allow her to chew until she has enough. After that I would either freeze it if it is worth saving or chuck it out. Don't store it dry in a ziploc bag because it will go off.

I think it's smoked....I know it's not raw. Smells kinda like beef jerky...so it's not a good idea to give it to her because it can splinter?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Most people feed raw beef marrow/soup (thigh) bones sawed into, say, 6" 8" pieces.

I'm the only person I know of who feeds raw beef knuckle bones. That's because my Puff (YF, AKC field line, 63 lbs., dob: 8-'01) doesn't like to chew on the much harder marrow bones.

Parts of a knuckle bone are somewhat softer and will erode with constant gnawing and grinding.

I get frozen knuckle bones from a butcher and have them sawed in half. Puff gets a new one each Sunday.

BEFORE she gets a new piece, I trim all the excess fat and cartilage away. Within the cartilage, there are several smaller bones that could easily be swallowed so I remove those before they could cause trouble. Also, since knuckle bones can erode, pieces can break off which could be swallowed so, when Puff is worrying a bone, I check on what she's chewing on every so often. When it's a smaller piece, it goes in the trash.

There's little reason for me to pick up a bone after giving it to Puff. She's wiped it clean so there's little to decay by the time she's stopped the first time. She'll return to it off and on through the week.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

I feed both to my dogs; raw marrow and raw knuckle. They have also had the smoked knuckle before I knew anything about the raw ones. As long as you keep an eye while he has it, you should be okay. I wouldn't make a habit of feeding the smoked ones; there are smoked bones than can splinter, but I never had it happen with a knuckle. Again, please supervise your dog while chewing any type of bone and/or treat. I wouldn't let him have it for a long time since it is his first, maybe 10-15 minutes then put it away (fridge or freezer) for later.

Ok so I gave it to her just to see how she liked it. I only gave it to her for 10 minutes since its her first one. When I went to take it away she did a low growl like for me to leave it alone. Also I dont't know if this means anything but her tail was down but not curled between her legs. How do I correct this before its gets worse?? Oh and she doesn't do this with her regular food. I think when she eats her regular food her tail is either straight out or completely up...I'll have to check tomorrow when I feed her breakfast.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by eklind51
    Ok so I gave it to her just to see how she liked it. I only gave it to her for 10 minutes since its her first one. When I went to take it away she did a low growl like for me to leave it alone. Also I dont't know if this means anything but her tail was down but not curled between her legs. How do I correct this before its gets worse?? Oh and she doesn't do this with her regular food. I think when she eats her regular food her tail is either straight out or completely up...I'll have to check tomorrow when I feed her breakfast.
    Seems as though she is guarding her prized possession.
    Zoe did this....ONCE... and we put an end to that right away. She has learned that all that we give her are OURS, to take away at any time, for any reason.

what we did was when she's chewing, we'd go up and hold the bone while chewing. Take it away w/a command like "share". Give her a small treat. Then give it back. This is a win-win situation for her. She gives the possession, gets a treat, and then gets the possession back! How cool is that?

Repeat, repeat... oh and yes, repeat again. She'll get the idea. If she growls, take it away. Game over.

Hope that helps. Others may have other techniques, but this is the one that worked for Zoe.
    At this stage in her life, anyone (even visitors) are able to take a bone/rawhide/whatever from her. : )
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by zoesmom

what we did was when she's chewing, we'd go up and hold the bone while chewing.
    This is what I do with Brigetta. Brigetta never actually growled or anything, but my little dachshund mix does and I didn't want Brigetta to start. I'll hold the bone or pet her while she's chewing it.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Barney and Bailey is offline Senior Member

I agree with Zoesmom. Every once in awhile just say "let me see" and take it and look at it and give it back. When you're ready for her to be through, say that's enough and give her another toy or treat.

I give Bailey smoked knuckle bones, but we supervise her while she has it.
    She loves them, and she does chew them but they haven't splintered. I just don't want a raw bone all over my house.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Definately do not get any of those smoked bones they sell at the petstores...I think they qualify as cooked and besides...who knows how long those things have been sitting on the shelf. Scary.

I go for raw. I get the marrow bones, knuckes, these riblet ends. Grace loves them...they are always frozen.

Do not tolerate the growling. If that happens again, you can't back down, do what you need to do to get the item away. Grace is our youngest, and she'll come into the room with a full-on body wiggle and you can tell something is in her mouth, but you don't know what. I can put my hand out and ask for it .... I change the words...she knows what the hand means... and she'll drop whatever she's got for me. If it's allowed like a toy or chew, I give it back, and she wiggles away. If it's contraband, like a tissue or a bottle cap, I keep it.