Camping with your Lab (picture update)

Thread: Camping with your Lab (picture update)

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultCamping with your Lab (picture update)

I took my 4 month old puppy camping with me last weekend for the first time. I was a little unsure how she would do and what I should do with her at night.

I was afraid of keeping her in the tent with us; I didn’t want her to chew either the tent or our air mattress. I didn’t want to leave her tied up out side because of other animals. I had considered bringing her crate that way she would be safe from other animals but we didn’t have the room to pack it. And it would have been too hot to keep her locked in the car and again she may chew things.

I did wind up keeping her in the tent with us and she did well. No chewing and after about 5 min of wandering around she plopped down and crashed for the night. Of course she had plenty of walks and a swim in a river to tire her out!*

Unfortunately it rained a lot of the time so she was miserable poor thing couldn’t get clean and dry she spent half the trip on the picnic table so she wouldn’t have to lie in a puddle.

I was just wondering what other member do with their dogs on camping trips.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Janna and Boomer is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Camping with your Lab

Boomer sleeps in the tent with us. We bring a wad of blankets for him to lie on, and I think he pretty much just sleeps on those. He gets up and moves around a lot the first night, but after that he's used to the new sleeping arrangement. During the day we have him tied in the campsite on his rope and he lays on a sheet or something. He LOVES camping because he gets to lay in the dirt and just be icky and dirty all the time. Every time we go swimming, we come back and he rolls around in the dirt. He's like a muddy piglet when we're camping. ;D

DefaultRe: Camping with your Lab (picture update)

A swim toy makes a great air mattress for a tired camper!

Our pup loves camping! We took his crate the first two times, so that was easy, and the last time he slept with me... kept me warm!

He likes to sit on the ice chest for some reason and Monday when we loaded up for a quick overnight at a local lake, he hopped in the car and jumped on the ice chest, like he knew we were going camping - very cute.

The rain thing is hard. When we lived in the NW we always rigged a tarp to keep us dry, whether rain was in the forecast or not. One time a bunch of water had collected at the edge and our lab bumped a support pole and it splashed down all over her - poor baby was so confused!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mel
    Mel is offline Senior Member

This looks like such fun. My husband isn't into roughing it though, so I don't see this ever happening in our future.
    It must be a glorious feeling to wake up surrounded by nature......sigh.

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

Ours sleep in the tent with us. I have to say though that when we took Sky for the first time she was very nervous and peed on the sleeping bag and mattresses. It was quite a mess. I now have a soft sided crate that folds up really small that I will carry for her. She just seems to be so much happier when she can be in a crate. Moose however is a trooper. He has been camping with us several times and does great. We are going camping labor day weekend to the beach with both dogs, so hopefully this will be a better experience with Sky.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I have only been camping with two of my dogs (Trick and Murph) and we just had them loose in the tent. We brought along their bedding and it went fine. That said, we were on a long 8 day hike so by nightfall they were totally wiped out. We covered at least 10 miles a day so them being badly behaved was out of the question!

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I haven't been camping in so long! I really hope to be able to go sometime soon with Brigetta.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence