speaking of breeders..
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: speaking of breeders..

Defaultspeaking of breeders..

Just wondered what you guys (those of you in or around Northern California) know of/think of Micon Labs: http://www.miconslabradors.com/
    These are the breeders we got Storm from. I had a great experience, but was totally inexperienced at the time. After lurking here for the last year or so I'm wondering how they rate? She had a lot of labs and always has litters available, after reading all your thoughts on this I'm wondering what constitutes a puppy mill? Did I unknowingly get Storm from a puppy mill?

Don't get me wrong, I love Storm and wouldn't trade for the world, regardless of where she came from, but we're thinking of getting another dog and wondered after seeing the previous poster whether we should look for a different breeder?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: speaking of breeders..

They seem to have a lot of dogs...some pointed a few champions...but I don't see anything about OFA ratings or anthing.

I personally don't really like the over look of their line which seems to be inconsistent to me...it's a bit more bulkier than I prefer...that is just me though.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    They seem to have a lot of dogs...some pointed a few champions...but I don't see anything about OFA ratings or anthing.
    Go the OFA website, their dogs have plenty of ratings.

Some people are set up to have several litters at time. In fact, there are many prominent kennels in Europe that have several litters a year. They are set up for it and they show and breed dogs full time. Does not mean they are a puppy mill. Micons show their dogs and seem to be active in their club. I would not worry too much about them being a puppy mill.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks. It just made me wonder what makes a breeder a puppy mill vs. a reputable breeder.

Quote Originally Posted by stormsmom
    Thanks.* It just made me wonder what makes a breeder a puppy mill vs. a reputable breeder.
    http://www.puppymills.com/

If you are able to call your breeder and talk to them at any time during your dog's life about any questions or concerns you may have, and you are comfortable with their responses, etc., then I pretty much wouldn't worry what anybody else thinks.* The only thing about their site, which is new, is the statement about White labradors.* There are no white labs, just really, really pale yellow ones.

WigWag Guest

Good pedigrees on the dogs and they are good examples of the breed and have health clearances, however they do have a LOT of litters (3 per month for the next few months) and they are simply breeding to their own stud dogs. I'm not saying you won't get a great pet from such breeders (most do), it's just that I feel differently about my dogs and I don't like when so many are living in a kennel and not in a home/house. I do know several people just like this that have 20 - 30 dogs and 10 - 20 litters per year and they make a lot of money off puppy sales. They do care for their dogs appropriately and sell quality puppies but again I personally don't like to see Labradors kept like cattle.

Quote Originally Posted by WigWag
    ...Labradors kept like cattle.
    Somehow, that remark came across to me as catty. :

WigWag Guest

It wasn't meant to be "malicious or cruel" so no it wasn't meant to be taken that way. I reiterate that I know people who are like what these breeders *appear* to be based on their numbers and the people that I personally know keep all those dogs in clean and airy kennels with adequate outside areas that are much like barns and stables where large animals are kept. They are not house dogs nor do they live the life of a *normal* pet hence the cattle comment. To me it's fact and not mean to be catty.

Dani is offline Senior Member

I wasn't saying that they were a puppymill...just noting the number of dogs...I personally know that I could go to the website and look up clearances, I just like it when it's all there for me and I don't have to go some where else to get that information.

Again, while they are fine in general...I personally care for a little more moderate of a dog. That is me...nothing against the kennel.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

It sounds to me like they have a family business going and I don't see anything wrong with that as long as the kennels are constructed well, kept clean and the dogs have play areas.

Our breeder has about 40 dogs at this time, all of varying ages. They are in beautiful kennels with 3 separate play areas where the dogs are separated for age appropriate socialilization once per day and then a large area for a free for all. The play areas were full of toys etc.

All of the dogs they keep are either currently being shown or are in training to be shown; they are shown by the breeders daughter, trained by the breeder and the daughter. They breed from their own studs, however, they are retiring them (and probably rehoming them to people who have adopted their retired dogs in the past) and bringing in new "blood" due to almost every dog in their kennel at the moment being related. They have two - four litters each year.

Since the dogs travel to showsin their RV and stay in that vehicle with them, each dog is taken inside with the family at different times for socialization, manners, house training etc. The breeder has hired help to keep the kennels clean and provide one on one time with the animals outside of just their training session.

MICONS seems to be set up very much like our breeder. I personally agree with WigWag that if I were a breeder I would NOT do it with so many dogs because I also feel they need to be major family members, but it works for our breeder and they are doing a very good job of it. Without any further information, I have to say that it looks to be working for MICONS as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast