Help!

Thread: Help!

amurphy08 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHelp!

I want to adopt a male lab from a rescue organization. I have a couple questions I need some honest answers to.
    The male is about 8 yrs old and about 85-90lbs. Great disposition, walks well on leash, not hyper and a big lover boy.

I live in a 1200sq. ft townhome with no fenced in backyard to let him out in unsupervised. Do you all think that would be an issue?
    I have had a bigger dog (Golden) in the past and would just be vigilant about walking her, taking her to the beach and to interact with other dogs. We raised her from a puppy though and that's all she knew. I just want this dog to be in the best situation for him.
    He stays inside now with his foster family and is let out in the fenced yard occasionally when they are home.

Also, my roomate has 2 small cockapoos and do you think that would be too many dogs? I need a dog of my own. I had to put my baby of 14 yrs. to sleep in April and I am just now ready to add another one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Help!

If this dog is good with other dogs, I'd say go for it. Being 8, he should be more mellow so you won't have to worry about him accidently hurting the little ones. It sounds ilke he's used to be inside (they really are happiest whereever you are). I think it sounds like a great idea. How does your roommate feel about it?
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

deneen is offline Senior Member

with no fenced in backyard to let him out in unsupervised.
    As long as you don't let him out unsupervised/off leash it shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

He appears to be great with other dogs. On the walk he was basically almost bitten by a small dog (thru a fence so no harm) and didn't even flinch. Tail kept wagging.

Ever since I put my dog to sleep my roomate has been very supportive of me getting another dog. I told her last night about meeting this dog and that I was interested in him and that I may take him for a couple days to see how things go.
    She surprised me be saying that she thought that I should go for it but if things got messy and he sheds to much that she would just move out. Now, that thru me for a loop and made me a little mad. I clean up after my animals and I always have, I feel like she is changing her tune now.
    Now I don't know what to do. HE is a big boy. Any suggestions??

Trickster is offline Senior Member

It sounds good to me. I'd also say go for it.

No, I don't think several dogs in a townhouse of that size is too much providing you give them plenty of exercise.

Hmm...I think you should inform her that Labs shed not just a bit but a LOT.

Can you come to some kind of compromise? for example, that you vacuum every other day and/or brush the dog regularly?

Would never let him out unsupervised...that's part of the problem, I feel like he may need more room to roam.

I am going to have to talk to her some more about it. Having had a Golden, I understand the importance of regular brushing and cleaning.

KristinB is offline Senior Member

I have had dogs in an apartment and they always did fine, as I made it a priority to get them out often and give them plenty of exercise and time. I do not think it will be a problem. If he is around eight years old, he will not need nearly as much exercise as a puppy or very young dog, and will probably be happy to be inside, especially in the Summer.

I don't think he will need more room to roam at all providing he gets his daily walks.

As an older dog he won't need to get out as much in terms of exercise needs as a younger dog would.