Angus has a split nail UPDATE
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Angus has a split nail UPDATE

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultAngus has a split nail UPDATE

Well, we're back from the vet.

We went to our old vet, the one we used with Crash. Downtown was just too far to come all the way home and tote him all the way back down, so it seemed like a good time to utilize the closer/less expensive vet.

So, I didn't really realize how long it had been since they had seen him. :-[ No one there had seen him since he had gotten all grown up! The last time I talked to our favorite vet down there about him, I was discussing how he wouldn't stop ripping my hands to shreds. He had recommended a behaviorist for me. Needless to say, he was very impressed with the reformed, good citizen he was now presented with. It made me feel so good to see him smile and say, "He's turned into a really good dog."

We also used the opportunity to work with distractions, so we did some stays, heeling, etc. while we were waiting. Everyone who came in was like WOW! Your dog is so good! ;D ;D ;D

So, I am pretty much glowing.

They trimmed his nail so it wouldn't catch on anything, then put a little antibiotic cream on it and bandaged him up. I said, "He's going to eat off that bandage on the way home..." so they put some nasty-tasting stuff on the outside. We'll see. They said not to worry if it came off, but to try to keep it on 3 days or so, until it heals up a little.

Oh...we also weighed while he was there. He's right at 70 lbs. I asked their opinion on his weight, and everyone there seemed in total agreement that he looked perfect. Fantastic, even. I don't know...I still don't think it would hurt to lose just a couple more pounds. But it's good to know he's not the porker that our private trainer seemed to think.

Anyway, thanks for all the thoughts and advice today! I love y'all!

:'(

Poor baby!

A couple of nights ago we were playing fetch in the backyard when suddenly, he stopped short and started holding up his front leg. I thought maybe he had picked up a thorn or something. Checked his paw, checked between his toes, the back of his foreleg, couldn't find a thing. He was still favoring it a bit, but after a few moments he seemed alright again so I just thought maybe he jammed it up or stubbed his toe or whatever.

Since then, he didn't seem to be putting as much weight on that leg. It was barely noticeable, and if I hadn't been looking for it I'd have never seen it, but he was still a bit ginger about the way he put that paw down.

This morning I came downstairs and Kevin said, "Angus is licking his paw a lot." Sure enough, he was out there going to town on it. Kevin pointed out that he seemed to be licking the area of the dew claw. Ah ha! Bingo.

His dew claw is split. Hard to describe, but it goes right up the middle pretty high up. I'm sure it must be to the quick. :'(

I am not sure what needs to be done about this. I'm wondering if a vet visit is in order. I don't mind trimming nails, but this one looks out of my league.

Thoughts?

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Angus has a split nail

I would say take him to the vet to get it cut back. I hope that's all it is.

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

after my nail incident with Buck...um yeah anything nail related like t hat...I'd take him to the vet
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Connie, this happened to Frankie yesterday, too! His was torn in the back of the dew claw though so I was able to cut it off. If you don't feel comfortable cutting it, take him in.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

If it's that bad, I'd take him in.* I'll warn you, depending on how deep it split, it may never grow back normally.* My Rottie split his nail deep into the quick, damaging the nail bed, and it always grew back with a split.

Kathryn Guest

Poor Angus! I hope he feels better soon!
    All out puppers have their dew claws taken off. But with our golden I didnt feel I could clip it. So we had the vet do it.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Poor Angus...hope he feels better soon!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Lydia, oh no! How did you keep it trimmed after that?

It's not split all the way back to the nail bed, but I'd say it is split halfway up the nail. If I had to guess I'd say it is a 1/3 to 2/3 ratio of split. So it seems to me that this would have compromised his quick. ??? He doesn't seem to be in a tremendous amount of pain, as far as walking, but then again I am fairly certain Angus has an astronomical pain threshold.

Oh boy. If it's not one thing it's another.

:

I wonder if it's worth me trying to do something about it myself. I have guillotine clippers, which obviously aren't going to work for fine detail. Would it be worth a trip to the pet store to find something else?

Connie and "The Boys":

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

How about trying to file it down?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

I do have a file, but have never used it :-\

Naturally, we have to leave town overnight first thing in the morning, so I can't even get it taken care of tomorrow morning. They always do something like this when we're going somewhere...

Connie and "The Boys":

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast