Give a dog a cookie and they are spending the night too. lol

Thread: Give a dog a cookie and they are spending the night too. lol

Kathryn Guest

DefaultGive a dog a cookie and they are spending the night too. lol

I was told a million times lastnight NOT to let the dog in the house. I stayed up with him till about 1 this morning and had to go to bed. my mom got up at 3 and put the fan in the front door and as soon as she was in her chair this big black thing jumps the fan and knocks it over. So has been in the house ever since. we have the front door open if he wants to leave but has yet to leave. He was so cute this morning. I was sitting with Dakota on the love seat and he comes over and puts his head in my lap and I start petting him. When I was done and stopped he took his HUGE! paw and slammed it on my lab. I learned NEVER to do that again.
    We are going to let him stay in the house. I will cal Metro this morning and let them know I have him. His name might be Dakota. He comes EVERYTIME I call Dakota. I did feed him but he didn't eat much. Hes an older lab and VERY nice. Lastnight he didn't much mind the cats. this morning he went after my huge black cat, Dusty. So he got in trouble for that.
    When I call Metro I am not going to have them come and get him. They will hold him for a week and put him down and I don't want that. Hes knew where to find a safe place and did.
    Ill try and get some pictures today if he will hold still long enough lol.
    Any other ideas of what I can do? I'm going to see if Robin will come and look at him when she comes this way this after noon, Shes a tech out at our vet and LOVES animals. Maybe she can help me out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Give a dog a cookie and they are spending the night too. lol

You may want to take him into your vet to see if he has been micro chipped. If he for some reason has been separated from his family they may be looking for him. If he is microchipped they can reunite them

I would try to post some flyers around the area with his picture and your number just to make sure his owner isnt looking for him. He sounds like a good boy though so it's nice of you to take care of him.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bacatherine
    I would try to post some flyers around the area with his picture and your number just to make sure his owner isnt looking for him.* He sounds like a good boy though so it's nice of you to take care of him.
    theres a dumb law aginst posting flyers of any kind outside here. Im calling Metro when they open and then at noon we are going to take him to our vet and have him checked for a chip. Hes a good boy alot older than I thought lastnight..

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Awww, so sweet of you to take him in! Bless you for helping him! He sure does sound like a sweetheart. I loved his picture - saw that in the other thread.

There is an article in BARK magazine this month about a pet detective. She helps people locate their lost animals. Very interesting. Anyway, I bring it up because she has a checklist of myths about stray dogs or dogs that get lost. One of the things she mentioned that really stuck with me is, just because a dog looks neglected doesn't necessarily mean that it was dumped. A dog that has gotten away from home and can't find its way back could lose weight, be covered in burrs, matted fur, dirty, etc. I know the time Simon got out, and he was only out for a few hours, he came in not looking NEARLY as good as when he left.* :

Anyway, just something to consider. He may just be separated from his home. I'd certainly investigate it! Just think, wouldn't you want someone to do that for you? Gosh, I would.* :'(

Great job on calling animal control and letting them know! I'd also call all the area vets and report it (this is most often what people who have lost a dog do...first they check the pound, then they start calling vets).

Have you had him scanned for a microchip? Long shot, but it could pay off.

Your local newspaper might let you run a "Found Dog" ad for free. I did this with a GSD I picked up earlier this year. Be very, very careful about giving any information to the people who call, though. I got more than one phone call from someone who was obviously just fishing for a free dog.* > It was truly sickening. They would call and start pumping me for info: "How much does he weigh? What color is he? What kind of collar was he wearing?" I'm sure their plan was to call back and describe him perfectly and hope I would release him to them. I would just say, "How much did the dog you lost weigh? What color is the dog you lost? What kind of collar did the dog you lost have on?" After a few minutes they realized they were not going to win. :P When the right person finally called, SHE described him to ME in great detail, and an outpouring of emotion. It was crystal clear that she was the right person.*

You might also put up some flyers. I wouldn't use a photo, and I would keep the information to a minumum. Same as with the ad...don't give too much away. My ad said something like, "Male German Shepherd, found at Elm Street and Main Street on February 1st at 12:00. Call to identify." It was up to them to fill in the blanks.

I know this all sounds like a lot of trouble. I was worried I wouldn't find the owner there for a while, and even had another home lined up which (thankfully) fell through. I was boarding him at a kennel, so it was costing me $$ every day he stayed there. But man, when his owner showed up, I cannot begin to describe how it felt to see that reunion. I met them at the kennel where he was being boarded. He came out and saw Mom sitting there, and he leaped into her arms and covered her face with kisses, whimpering softly. Then he jumped on me and Kevin and licked us too, as if to say, "THANKS! This is just what I wanted!" To make it even more picture-perfect, he was a gorgeous GSD, and his owner was a police officer. She was wearing her uniform that day. Man. I get chills just thinking about it. It looked like something out of a movie.

ANYWAY! Sorry, I went off on a little tangeant there didn't I?* Yours may be a stray indeed, and if he is, I know you will do just the right thing for him and find him a great new home. I guess I just wanted to say that in any case, no matter how it looks, it's worth checking around for an owner.

Thank you again for your kindness!!* ;D

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Kathryn Guest

Id love to put flyers up but we cant put them up around town with out getting fined. that sucks big time!
    At noon when I get my car we are going to take him out to our vet and have him checked for a chip.
    I tried to call Metro but they don't open till 10, So I have an hour to Wait... He seems to be an outside dog for the most part and only get to come in every once in a while, I can't leave him out in my yard with out him finding away out..
    Id things don't work out with finding his home, I think he already found one ;D ;D *shhh* don't tell my mom yet! lol

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

If I remember right you are in Wyoming? How far are you from Denver Metro?

Safe Harbor our local lab rescue might be able to help,
    www.safeharborlabrescue.org They have a very active website that gets a lot of people looking every day.

Kathryn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder4evr
    If I remember right you are in Wyoming?* How far are you from Denver Metro?

Safe Harbor our local lab rescue might be able to help,
    www.safeharborlabrescue.org They have a very active website that gets a lot of people looking every day.*
    Um I think we are like a hour drive from Casper, Wyo into Denver.
    I contacted our animal control people here and they come by and scan the dog for a micro chip YAY! (I was worried about putting him in my car) Im waitting on them so we will see. I don't think he is chipped and no one has called looking for him :'(