Time to do some serious recall work

Thread: Time to do some serious recall work

DefaultTime to do some serious recall work

Preface:I am posting this as a humorous story. I know I should not let Kimba off leash since he is not 100% on recall, so I am not looking for people to criticize or remark on the fact. Thanks

I thought I had finally found a place to take Kimba where I could hike and he could run free and use up some of that energy!!
    So much for that idea. He now knows what trail leads to this residential area where there are kids and LOTS of kids toys (his absolute favorite thing in the whole world and we do not have any at home bc he would destroy them).....he bolted the first time we walked up the trail although I started heading down it bc I saw there were apts and did not want to go too close. Then this nice girl had him on a leash until I showed up. I apologized but she did not seem to mind and had a leash on hand (aka dog owner), so I think she was ok. But some cranky old lady was standing in her doorway watching the whole thing and I am sure she was not too happy (you know the neighbors who never leave the house but watch everything from the window or porch so they can complain or make gossip???). I thought maybe he ran into her house bc the path leads to her back door and it was open- OY! Yes Kimba runs into people's houses like they are his own if given the opportunity (like our neighbors who have a black lab as well and 3 small children with the best toys on the block...Kimba never forgets where to go when he escapes from our yard).
    So then we head back down the trail and when I think we are far enough I unleash him- I KNOW, I KNOW- BIG MISTAKE, he turned and ran right back to the same place where I caught him with a tennis ball and one of the kids toys in his mouth. By this time, old lady is still watching the commotion and the girl who caught him was not out. I cornered him at the apts and then I am badgered by a 3 year old who was yelling at me bc MY dog took her toys!!! :-\
    OH LORD!!!!! Maybe I should write a damn book.....Marley aint got shit on Kimba.

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Time to do some serious recall work

Hah, I wouldn't worry, even the best dogs slip up. I don't believe there is no such thing as a 100% recall anyway.

Mine sometimes do what you described. If I come across something on the trail (animal poop, discarded food, manky tennis balls, etc.) and get to it before the dogs I will tell them to 'leave it'. Then, very obediently, they leave it and walk ahead. Then they stop ahead of me and give me what I call "the look", which means "shall I continue walking ahead or run back and get that tasty treat?". They usually respect my commands enough to leave it but sometimes the treat is too hard to resist. :

Small problem, I know for a fact if I ever ever take him into those woods again (even though this particlular trail to the houses is off the trail we are walking) that he will make a beeline for it AND remember EXACTLY where to go!
    Funny thing is, when we are in the woods he has a 99% recall with a whistle that I give, BUT the moment he sees or smells some kind of community, houses, neighborhood he bolts!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Funny thing is, when we are in the woods he has a 99% recall with a whistle that I give, BUT the moment he sees or smells some kind of community, houses, neighborhood he bolts!
    Kimba sounds like a cleaver boy. He has probably learned to associate houses, neighbourhoods, etc., with food, toys, people and other fun things. Neighbourhoods are full of distractions visually which can really push a dogs senses into over drive. Woodland is also full of distractions but of a different sort (emphasise more on smell than sight) which could be why he is more reliable in that sort of situation.