Has anybody used Duralactin?

Thread: Has anybody used Duralactin?

Debbie S. is offline Senior Member

DefaultHas anybody used Duralactin?

Katie is showing stiffness when she gets up after laying down (she is 9 1/2) Started her on Glucosamine/Chondrotin a month ago...was hoping to put her on ascriptin (asprin with malox) but when I called the vets office today they said no because she is also on Prednisone, and the combo may cause ulcers...the vet tech said something about trying Duralactin....I just hate to put her on the stonger stuff already...she has a vet appointment in about 3 weeks, for a blood draw, but also asked to see the vet so we could discuss options...don't know with her already being on this prednisone, what that will mean as far as mixing with arthritis meds as she gets older. She is on a low dose of the Pred. but she does have to stay on it for the rest of her life. It's been to hot here lately to do much walking, even at night, and since we lost our Collie last year, she doesn't get as much exercise as far as running around the yard. We are suppose to be getting a puppy in December(Aussie)...but with this stiffness getting worse, I don't know if this will be a good idea or a bad idea....tossed around the idea of putting in an applicaton for an adult dog with the Golden Retriever rescue that we have here also....I do know years ago when we had our Chow, when we put her on the arthritis meds (this was 10 years ago) that it made a world of difference, she was like a new dog. Will be discussing this with our vet of course..but if anyone has any adivice to offer...I'm all ears...we have not put down a deposit yet on said puppy, Mom is suppose to come into heat in August...so I still have a little bit of time...
    Debbie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Caseys Mom Guest

DefaultRe: Has anybody used Duralactin?

Duralactin is another OTC nutriceutical like glucosamine/chondroitin. It's not an NSAID (i.e. NOT the "strong stuff") but is made out of dried milk protein and seems to have some anti-inflammatory effects. You can read more about it here:
    lhttp://www.duralactin.com/index.htm
    My old guy, Hershey, takes it in addition to his G/C and Metacam. Does it help him? At this point I'd have to say not much if at all but his arthritis has reached the point where even the NSAIDs can't do a whole lot. My general feeling is that the nutriceuticle type supplements can be quite effective in mild to moderate cases of arthritis but considerably less so in severe cases. One thing in their favor is that they seem to be quite safe for long term use.
    About all you can do is try Katie on it for a month or so and see if you notice any improvement in her condition. I'd also suggest that you up her exercise if at all possible. It doesn't have to be strenuous exercise but just anything that will help keep her muscles in tone. Swimming is good as are long walks. Keeping her in good physical shape can really help alleviate arthritis pain.

Debbie S. is offline Senior Member

thanks for the info....will probably be trying it soon, have nothing to loose it sounds like...I wish we had a pool...I do walk my Lab a lot when the weather is good, July and August are usually tough months here because when it gets over 110, it does not cool down much at night, and nobody feels like being outside....so I try to walk her on the cooler days like today....the good thing is here that we have good weather here the rest of the year...so I'm hoping we can both start our exercising again soon..

Debbie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

FieldLabLover is offline Senior Member

Duralatin is safe but I had a dog that was having problems getting up and I tried Metacam and it was a miracle. She now runs. Why does she need to be on Pred for the rest of her life? I hope not for the arthritis because I would find another vet if that's what they are saying to use it for aging arthritis.