Tucker's behavior has changed?? (long)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tucker's behavior has changed?? (long)

DefaultTucker's behavior has changed?? (long)

We were on vacation last week, and Tucker stayed with a woman in her home. She's a dog trainer, and I was told (jokingly) by some people that she'd make him tow the line, boy.

She said he was fine, listened, and has a great temperament.

It's now 5 days home, and he's different. Not entirely different, but not acting the same as usual. He's a pretty quiet, laid-back dog...but he's even gotten quieter.

He goes between my legs to greet me when I come home, but other than that, he's avoiding me when I try to pet him...he actually moves away. He's never been a hyper, overly-exuberant dog, but he's still enough of a puppy that he'd act like one, and act like a goof a lot of times. That's mostly gone. He lays around for the most part, doing nothing. He doesn't seem to want to play much.

The g.kids were here all day Monday, and after playing with them some, he just laid by the front door, quiet.

He's been swimming, and was the same as always with swimming. But with most everything else, he's acting different. He's not going into the fields to explore....when he goes out to potty, he's back at the door pretty quickly, sometimes whimpering to come in.

One thing he's always done is whimper at me in the mornings to get up....I never minded; it makes me laugh. He's not doing that....he just waits quietly now 'til I get up.

Hub and I have both noticed the changes....he seems to have lost his 'puppy-ness'. Seems like he's just suddenly matured into a quieter adult dog?

One good example: when I get home from work, he and hub are on the deck. Hub tells him to wait...and when the car's stopped, tells him OK, and Tucker runs down to the car to greet me...always. Not now, though. Last night he stayed lying on the deck; I got out of the car and called him, he walked down the 1st set of steps to the landing and just stopped.

I think just to have him checked out physically, I'm going to call the vet tomorrow for an appt., for a quick once over. I don't think it's anything physical, but we can't believe he'd suddenly mature and change in a week's time? I didn't call yet, 'cause we're still watching him, waiting to see if he comes back to his old self.

I can't believe leaving him for a week would be the cause of this....but we're stumped as to why this has happened.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Tucker's behavior has changed?? (long)

I have no explanation as to why he is being the way he is.
    All I can say is that I left Buck only for two days at a kennel with doggy daycare and when I brought him home he was pretty mellow and low key for atleast 3 days and thne he was back to himself.

Maybe it's the same way with Tucker? Since he was away longer maybe it will take him a couple more days before he is back to himself? Or maybe he did mature...
    Buck kinda stopped doing a few of his crazy puppy things over night...like playfully attacking my face and ears every time I laid down. He did this since the day I brought him home at 8 weeks old but then suddenly once he turned 6 months old he stopped now he just lays next to me and chews on his toys...

I hope that's all it is with Tucker...maybe he did just grow up...
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buckyball
    I have no explanation as to why he is being the way he is.
    All I can say is that I left Buck only for two days at a kennel with doggy daycare and when I brought him home he was pretty mellow and low key for atleast 3 days and thne he was back to himself.
    I'm going through this exact thing with Brigetta. She was at the doggie daycare kennel this past Saturday through Monday- just 2 1/2 days and she has been acting different and her stools have been loose. I even called my sister this morning because she hasn't been getting into as much (which is so out of character for her- I get suspicious if she's not trying to get into something!) She just seems different to me. Then I thought maybe she didn't like it or something happened- I even cancelled her daycare yesterday or maybe she's just really calming down. I don't think anything is physically wrong with her either. I'm really hoping she's just reacting to the change from being home then at the kennel then home again. I hope Tucker gets back to his old self!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

When we board Larry if we go out of town, he is normally very, VERY unlike himself for the next few days. Whereas he is normally bouncing off the walls with energy, he will get on his bed and sleep all day.

I think that they get SO excited about playing with other dogs, they overdo it and need some time to rest and recuperate. I'm not sure if that is what's going on with Tucker. Hopefully your boy will be back to his old ways soon.

I hope Tucker is okay..he's probably just feeling out of sorts from being away from home. I'd be feeling the same way as you too and be a little worried about the sudden change in behavior. I'd really enjoy it, but be worried at the same time!! Tucker sounds like our dream dog...do you think your friend would take Fergus in for a couple of days ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus6644
    I hope Tucker is okay..he's probably just feeling out of sorts from being away from home.* I'd be feeling the same way as you too and be a little worried about the sudden change in behavior.* I'd really enjoy it, but be worried at the same time!!* Tucker sounds like our dream dog...do you think your friend would take Fergus in for a couple of days ;D
    Haahaa...she probably would take Fergus for a few days, and straighten that boy up!

She had 2 (small) dogs Tucker played with; we've wondered if he misses not having other dogs around, even though we have a neighbor dog that usually comes here every day...they've been playing like normal.

Maybe it is just the adjustment to back home, as some of you have experienced...we'll see as more time goes by.

One odd thing that happened the other day..Tucker's not a counter-surfer, but hub left the dinner table, I was just walking out of the kitchen, and Tucker jumped up to hub's plate (he's done this at times with the g.kids). I told him No, get down....then stood in front of him and shook my finger at him. He ducked his head and blinked his eyes over and over...you'd have thought I hit him! I've shook my finger before when he tried to get the g.kid's food, and it never had an effect. That's the kind of thing I mean about behavior changes.

And if he has something, and I say drop it, he usually does, but not always and not right away. Now though? Boy, if he has something, and I say drop it, it's NOW he does. Maybe all the changes aren't sooo bad.

I still think I'm gonna have the vet check him out, just to make sure everything's ok physically....he looks like he's lost weight.

Thanks for the replies...helps to know other dogs have been a bit out-of-sorts after having been away.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

i'll be waiting for your next post saying something about how tucker is back to his ole self.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

How old is Tucker?

You weren't around here when Angus was a puppy, but let's just say that I got a few more gray hairs that year. :P And then, at about a year, suddenly it just stopped. VERY suddenly, it seemed. I could not figure it out. I took him to the vet for just about every month, trying to find a reason. Never did.

Not saying that it's not worth a quick look-see. I certainly thought so. Well, more like five look-sees. : But it could be just maturing.

Angus would sometimes go back to his silly antics, but those times get farther and farther apart. I was watching old videos of him last night. Sigh. I do miss all that craziness. But this is much easier to live with.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Tucker's 17 mos....1 1/2 years now. Yes, it could be just maturity, but it's happened so suddenly, that's what has us stumped.

We've been outside tonight, I got Tucker to play, bringing back his favorite ball. He did it as usual for a bit, then just quit. He just seems to lack the drive or interest, or something, that he had before.

He's never been a really high-energy, crazy sort of puppy; more mellow and quiet.

I'm spending more time getting near him and petting him when he's laying down...that has me stumped, the fact that he's moving away from me and doesn't seem to want to be petted.

I'll post again maybe next week; we'll see how things are.

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Isn't it funny how when we get all exasperated with our labbies we wish they'd chill out and be more mellow and when they do mellow out we get all sorts of suspicious even if there is nothing to be suspicious about heheh

Just tonight my mom commented how she thinks Buck is "growing up" both physically and mentally. She sighed and said that soon he won't be the crazy puppy he is and will just be lounging around. This comment is really funny coming from her because she is the one who always gets worked up about his butt tucking ways indoors and constant stealing lol

Take Tucker to the vet for peace of mind. I am sure he is alright though

Brigetta's mom - Buck had one funny poop after I brought him home. But when he went for his next potty outting it was normal. Maybe all the changes tire them out just like we get jet lag or something...
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast