Tatum update - small update at post #18
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tatum update - small update at post #18

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

DefaultTatum update - small update at post #18

Hi everyone.* I've had some people ask for a Tatum update, so I thought I'd share with all.* Constructive criticism welcome, but if you have anything blatantly negative to say, please keep it to yourself.

Tatum is making progress towards becoming part of the family routine.* She now understands many phrases and commands such as:
    Sit
    Come
    Lie down
    Let's go outside
    Everyone come in the house
    Let's go upstairs (to the bedroom)
    Let's go in the basement (family room)
    Everybody come
    Get in your kennel
    Dinner time
    Breakfast time
    Okay free (free to exit kennel, break a sit, get up from a lie down)

Of the commands above, she is about 100 percent on Sit and the rest still need to be enforced sometimes.

We are working on:
    Tap (touch nose to hand)
    Shake (she acts offended in a funny sort of way)

She still trembles at what seem to us to be random times, but I'm sure they aren't random to her.* I just don't see a pattern.* We ignore it and she stops.

Sometimes she eats her entire meal and sometimes she turns her nose up entirely.* There doesn't seem to be a pattern to this, either.* Decreasing the amount we give her hasn't done anything for her appetite.

She doesn't drink much water but the vet says she is not dehydrated.* I'm pretty sure she goes several days without drinking, although there is a bowl next to her favorite spot in the living room which she is able to and does drink out of.

She no longer seems to hate walks now that Aly is not acting like a complete loon.* I have been working on properly teaching Aly to heel, and it has done wonders for Tatum's interest in walks.

The thing that I am having the most frustration with is that she won't approach us.* I wish so much that she would come up to me.* She does sit immediately if I approach her and flicks her tail.* When she is lying down she will happily (from what I can tell) let me pet her for hours.* She tolerates being brushed but we haven't tried clipping the nails yet or brushing the teeth (I know we need to).

She eats in her crate (door ajar) and stays in it when DH and I are out of the house but otherwise she sleeps on the area rug in the living room.

I think that is it for now...thanks for reading and for any ideas anyone might have.*

I wish I could post a picture, but first, I always get ghost eyes, and second, she goes from this:

to this (notice the ear position):

whenever she seems the camera.* I don't have a chance to set up a tripod before she starts looking sad and she really seems to hate the flash.*

I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Tatum update

I think it is wonderful what you are doing for her and it seems to be coming along well. She is a beauty and you are an angel for saving her...that is all I wanted to say.

Dani is offline Senior Member

I don't know about getting her to approach you...I think it will come with time...but I have to say SHE LOOKS AMAZING! Even with her ears.

Jenn...you're doing good! How's her butt?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dani

Jenn...you're doing good! How's her butt?
    Hi Dani, thanks for reading (you too Kimbabear )

Well, at first I had no idea what you were talking about.* It was only after I thought about it for a moment that I realized that she had chewed the hair off her butt.* Right now, you would never be able to tell.

Oh, and she now sleeps sprawled out at night rather than curled up into a little ball.* It is all the little things that touch my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

Sounds like you are making good progress.
    The only thing that seems bad is the water thing..I'm sure she's not going days without water, maybe you just aren't noticing she's drinking. Maybe she's sneaking a cool drink out of the toilet!!

She's a beautiful girl. I understand your frusteration at times. Things that should seem so normal (i.e. coming up to you) are not learned behavior more in so I think it is earned. Haley blew my husband and I off so many times when we tried to be affectionate with her it actually hurt my feelings thinking she doesn't love us. I gave her space and time and continued my offering of affection at times and it all paid off. Things I know she would have never done in the past she does now. I feel her complete trust and admiration in almost all aspects and the reward is endless. What I am trying to say is maybe with more time she will come around. I know your working with her on her commands is a type of bonding and it's the little things earn you trust. Keep doing what you are doing and it will all come full circle. Her devotion for providing her a home with structure and love will be your most rewarding gift.

Quote Originally Posted by bearsdad
    Sounds like you are making good progress.
    The only thing that seems bad is the water thing..I'm sure she's not going days without water, maybe you just aren't noticing she's drinking. Maybe she's sneaking a cool drink out of the toilet!!
    I really worry about this. No, we keep the bathroom doors closed and the toilet seat shut. The bathroom is off limits to all dogs unless accompanied by a person.
    I'm quite certain she is not drinking much water. I wish I knew what to do. We asked the vet, and he said that she would drink when she is thirsty and is not dehydrated.

There are two water bowls in the house and she just isn't interested...

Throw the ball, damn it!

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I think what you're doing is amazing and it sounds as though things are coming along. When I first found Brigetta and even after I brought her home she wouldn't approach me. She would act as though she wanted to, but wouldn't. It was awful because I had to trick her to come to me so I could get her in the car to bring her to the adoption center (needless to say I adopted her myself* ) This changed in time as I'm sure it will with Tatum.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

The progress sounds great. She must be drinking water from somewhere, maybe the toilet or another bowl? She is beautiful. Having rescued an abused dog I can tell you it takes time to build trust. She will come around.

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job with Tatum.

Brookville, Pa.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast