Bloat, continuing stories

Thread: Bloat, continuing stories

DefaultBloat, continuing stories

Many of you here have already visited the website I created years ago to educate people about the dangers of Bloat after my then ten year old Lab survived an episode. If you haven't visited the site please take a couple on minutes to do so at: http://home.flash.net/~jdebess/index.htm
    Since its creation over 9000 people have visited the site. Just about every other week I receive an email from someone telling me about their experience. Unfortunately most are very sad to read. Occasionally I do get to hear about a successful recovery. Yesterday I received two emails. One sad, one happy.
    The first:
    "Hello, I recently ( last week) lost my buddy Jake to bloat. I am angry at myself for not knowing what bloat was. I saved him from a terrible home and family ten years ago. He was a bout 18 months old. I have been spoiling him since. he has been my best friend for the past ten years. Ii didn't have a chance to say good bye to him. Ii miss him terribly. Ii cant stop crying. here are a some pics. "

The second:
    "Hi,
    Great websites!!
    Our dog Sidney (12 year old Lab Mix) just had a severe case of bloat.... we got him to the vet within 5 minutes.... same as Jake a 3.5 hour surgery.... it went great!
    We are having trouble with the recovery... Sid seems to be doing fine, but we can hardly get him to eat the 6-8 mini meals....
    What did you do with Jake... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!"

I always reply to every message but sometimes it is difficult because I know how much grief the people feel when they have lost their best friend and companion.
    I was fortunate to have my Jake survive the ordeal. He lived another five happy years after his bloat surgery before his old body finally wore out.
    Bloat is a condition that everyone should be aware of and know the symptoms. Labs are not even on the top ten list of dogs at risk, Dobies hold the number one rank, but many of the notes I have received were about Labs or Lab mixes.

Just a few minutes ago I received a reply to my reply, further describing what happened to Sidney:
    "I thought I would share my dog story with you.... Sidney had another major set back... we were in Michigan visiting Joe's sister and we were 5 minutes from heading back to Chicago... we decided to feed Sid and then hit the road...

Joe fed Sid and then the trouble began... Sid tried to throw up and couldn't and within minutes his stomach blew up to the size of a basketball and was as hard as a rock...

Luckily (ironically) we had bought one of his sister's a book called Healthy Hounds-- (and had given it to her a day prior to this episode-- fate?) -- I yelled the words stomach and hard to her and she found something called BLOAT and sure enough the symptoms matched it perfectly... in the book, it mentioned that you had minutes to spare...

We were at the ER vet within 5 minutes (luckily she lived 2 turns away from the Vet Hospital)... he had a 3.5 hour surgery... and we were able to take him home 2 days later (Tuesday). We saw him Monday at the hospital and we were able to get him to eat and took him for a short walk to go to the bathroom. We had to go back 4 hours later so that he would eat again... He wouldn't eat for them at the hospital.... we didn't want to do another protien infusion so we would have done anything to get him to eat. He has over 32 staples in his belly and a pain patch stapled to his back... it is a sad sad sight... but we are hopeful he will make a full recovery...
    "

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bloat, continuing stories

Good for you for educating people on bloat!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Thank you for posting your site. I'm so concerned about Bloat with Brigetta ever since I've learned about it. She eats her food so fast! I've been putting a kong in the middle of her bowl to slow her down and try to make sure she doesn't eat too soon before or after playing.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom
    If the Kong does not slow her down then another suggestion you migth try is to purchase a shot length of very large stainless steel chain and place it in the bowl. She will then have to pick and lick the food out.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dukesdad
    Brigettas Mom
    If the Kong does not slow her down then another* suggestion you migth try is to purchase a shot length of very large stainless steel chain and place it in the bowl. She will then have to pick and lick the food out.*
    Thanks! That's a really good idea...I would have never thought of it.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

yup , Cali's always in a race to eat her food. She use to barf a few times after wards until we put two tennis balls in her bowl to slow her down. Worked good until about 3 weeks ago when my two yr old son misplaced a ball out of her dish he thought was a toy for him. well one tennis ball isnt' enough, she got sick just last week. I couldn't find another tennis ball so now she has a tennis ball and a HUGE soft ball in her dish. that really works.

What about floating kibble in water? I've heard that helps fast eaters. I've been puting about a 1/2 inch of water in Stoops' bowl everytime I feed him -- just a habit.

bibber is offline Senior Member

Thanks for posting all that information.* I had found your site before, when I was researching bloat.* Sam eats so fast that I was very worried every time he ate.* I recently bought him this bowl, and it has slowed him down a lot.* He used to eat 2 cups of food in 30 seconds, and now it takes him over 4 minutes.

This is the link where I bought it:
    http://www.brake-fast.net/

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

I think its great you have turned your grief into something so positive