Just Labradors banner

Pet Peeves...........

3K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  Jan 
#1 ·
.....you have regarding your fur babies.....

I was thinking today as I watched the cat do one of the things I find annoying that I should start a thread to get people to tell their funny or serious stories of what their fur babies do to drive them insane.  I wouldn't be human if I said that nothing my animals did ever annoyed me so I thought I would share the more annoying habits that could be cute in some ways but in others they just make me shake my head or grit my teeth.

Let's start with the first culprit, shall we.  1 year old russian blue and white cat goes by the name Colonel, aliases, well maybe we shouldn't post what I call him when he's annoying shall we. ;D

This just bothers me, not sure why but is there ever a reason why things bother you.  Colonel has this horrible habit of running into the bathroom just after you have used it and looking into the toilet.  There is just something that he needs to see.  It fascinates him I guess that we don't use a litter box or our litter box makes things disappear.  It never fails, he is waiting at the door, he shoots in as soon as it is open, rests his front paws on toilet and looks into it.  Then "the" Colonel will walk out of the bathroom, tail straight up looking like he just gave you the old army cot check and it just met with his approval.  A couple of times he has been locked in the bathroom by mistake and this raises all kinds of heck.  He even got in there a few times when my SU was going pee and decided ot jump up in inspection mode as SU was peeing...........boy did the old Colonel catch trouble for that.   ::)

The second culprit is a 6 month old yellow lab named Indi, alias: cutie, sweetie.  Her biggest annoying habit is how she will shoot up to me after I step from the bathroom after having a shower and then try to lick every missed drop of water off my legs.  Drives me buggy.  I can empty her water bowl, fill it up with fresh water, throw in ice cubes (Indi's particular favourite) and even leave the toilet seat up ;) lol but every time she comes running up to lap water from my leg.  It makes me want another shower when she is done.

The last culprit is a 3 year old black lab named Petey, alias, Pete, Stinky Pete.  His biggest habit is when he drops onto his back just as you are walking past him and kicks his feet up into the air and starts butt tucking around the floor in a circle, upside down.  This usually sends me, and the kids flying if they are near him.  It also send Indi into a fit of yeah we're playing which adds to the mess.  It is really cute when he does it where no one is walking but every once in a while he feels the need to do the stop, drop and flop routine just as you are walking past him.

Lobo my oldest pet, he'll be 9 this september, is a brown tiger striped cat and he doesn't have any annoying habits, that I will admit to anyway.  He's my little prince, always there to be a teddy bear when you sleep and just spends his day quietly sleeping on the back of the couch.  I guess if you don't move much you don't get into anything.  LOL

So I thought I would share to get other people sharing.............

So come on..........I know they have some annoying little habit which drives you up the wall...........just admit it and feel better. ;) ;D

See less See more
#3 ·
Well, we have 5 cats, and 1 dog, and so far the pup has been pretty good, but she's only a year, so there's still time :)

The cats, on the other hand.....

Lately, it has been a 4:00 am wake up call, our half siamese has been meowing at the top of her lungs in our room for the past couple of weeks, so, since my partner can sleep through everything, and I wake up at every little noise, I wake up and kick her out (not literaly) and close the door behind her. She then meows at the door for a little while.

Then there is Jonesy, I love this cat, but his new habit is too jump on the bed at 4 or so and meow in our faces looking for petting, so, if the other cat hasn't already woken me up with her daily wake up call,he does, and it's out the door he goes.

Eddie, great cat, only peeve is her running into the bathroom everytime you open the door, meowing, looking for you to turn on the faucet so she can get a drink. Not a huge deal, until recently she hides in the shelves we have in there, they go far back into the wall, so you can't get her. She's spent a couple of hours in there, needless to say, but she keeps going back for more.

The other 2 cats are the oldest, and pretty much keep to themselves, and have no annoying habits that I can think of.

Lola, the only problem with her is jumping on new people, she is SLOWLY getting better. I brought her to work today, and let her run down the hall, like I always do when we come to work together. She ALWAYS waits for me at the door around the corner. Until today, there were people at the end of the hall, well if there's people, they must love labs. And if they love labs, they must love for them to jump on their 3 piece suits they are wearing. After running down the hall to get her, I was faced with some not so nice looks and a couple of pissed people. I apologized as much as I could, I'll never let her go down the hall again.

That's the gang, wouldn't trade them in for anything :)

#4 ·
ummm 7 month old yellow male lab...He likes to lay on his back and use my arm as a chew toy MOST ANNOYING thing EVER. It's the only time he does it too (while laying on his back that is).

Second thing he does is...Sample the mulch every time he goes outside and then proceeds to lick you and leave dirt and slobber all over you. I can't for the life of me figure out why he finds big hunks of Mulch so appetizing ::)

One last thing...The squat and pooh right in the middle of the street...It's so embarassing! I think I am the only one with a pup that poops on asphalt!

He's so weird...but he's awesome all the same ;D

#5 ·
Well we only have Maggie and her most annoying thing is not leaving me to use the restroom in peace. She has to come with you and if sneak away real fast she will hunt you down and sit at the door scratching and whining until you open it. And then she has to look in the toilet when you are done :)

#6 ·
My old (17 years old) cat who has started to not want his food as much, but everytime I so much as walk towards the kitchen, comes running out from wherver he is and meows incessantly for treats...

My other cat who wakes me up way too early in the a.m. by getitng in and rubbing on my face and purring loudly...

And Carter, who also waits for me to finish using the bathroom so he can come in and drink from the freshly flushed toilet.  Problem is my bathroom is so small we both can't fit in it...if he is trying to get in, I can't get out!  Company has a hard time understanding this one, too, LOL!

I love them all, though!

#7 ·
I don't have too much to complain about with only one pet BUT....it is really annoying when your just about to fall asleep and Haley who aligns herselfs in the prime spot on the bed between my husband and I hauls off and kicks you in the back to get more room! And it's no little tap, tap kick either. It's like a minature jackass kicking you in the back! The only other thing and it really is funny since the hubby is the snorer is when he snores she wakes up and sits right beside him nose to nose and lays a kiss on him from cheek to cheek. That is not the way he wants to wake up out of a deep sleep but its always good for a laugh.

#8 ·
Cute thread!

CoCo's annoying habit is lighting-quick grabbing something in reach... shoes, laundry, hats, etc... then bouncing around trying to get you to chase her... And she is QUICK!

I mean, what do you do? If I ignore her she'll go in the corner and chew it to pieces, getting up to run away if you go near her.... If I try to chase her (which I won't normally do, but admit to trying when its something valuable or fragile she has) she's running away, under tables, through chairs, around things, so I can't get her... I try NO! LEAVE IT! But that doesn't usually work. What I'm trying now is to pick up something else she wants more and entice her to drop the thing she stole... but I'm worried I am bribing her and it won't teach her a lesson. I can't get mad at her when I do catch up with her, because then she'll never want me to again!

Eak!

I think some intense DROP IT! lessons are in order!

#9 ·
CoCosMom said:
Cute thread!

CoCo's annoying habit is lighting-quick grabbing something in reach... shoes, laundry, hats, etc... then bouncing around trying to get you to chase her...  And she is QUICK!

I mean, what do you do?  If I ignore her she'll go in the corner and chew it to pieces, getting up to run away if you go near her.... If I try to chase her (which I won't normally do, but admit to trying when its something valuable or fragile she has) she's running away, under tables, through chairs, around things, so I can't get her...  I try NO! LEAVE IT!  But that doesn't usually work.  What I'm trying now is to pick up something else she wants more and entice her to drop the thing she stole... but I'm worried I am bribing her and it won't teach her a lesson.  I can't get mad at her when I do catch up with her, because then she'll never want me to again!

Eak!

I think some intense DROP IT!  lessons are in order!
I have this same issue with Brigetta. Once while I was in the kitchen with her she grabbed a knife out of the sink...I freaked out! The only thing I could do was grab her treats and then she let go. I knew if I even stepped towards her she would run and want me to chase her. If she has paper or something relatively harmless I do the "drop it" and she has gotten better. I can't walk away from her because she will eat whatever it is she has. If she ever has something dangerous I go for the treats, but I also worry if this is really teaching her or will she keep doing it because she knows it will lead to a treat?

#10 ·
Ender: Whining excessively out of excitement in the car when he KNOWS we are close to the park, doggy day care, the vet, the lake... pretty much anywhere he's been where he's had fun. Drives us BATTY and yes... it is WORSE than the high-pitched puppy bark.

The other thing I HATE is when he steps on my bare foot... OUCH!

#11 ·
Brigettas Mom said:
CoCosMom said:
Cute thread!

CoCo's annoying habit is lighting-quick grabbing something in reach... shoes, laundry, hats, etc... then bouncing around trying to get you to chase her...  And she is QUICK!

I mean, what do you do?  If I ignore her she'll go in the corner and chew it to pieces, getting up to run away if you go near her.... If I try to chase her (which I won't normally do, but admit to trying when its something valuable or fragile she has) she's running away, under tables, through chairs, around things, so I can't get her...  I try NO! LEAVE IT!  But that doesn't usually work.  What I'm trying now is to pick up something else she wants more and entice her to drop the thing she stole... but I'm worried I am bribing her and it won't teach her a lesson.  I can't get mad at her when I do catch up with her, because then she'll never want me to again!

Eak!

I think some intense DROP IT!  lessons are in order!
I have this same issue with Brigetta. Once while I was in the kitchen with her she grabbed a knife out of the sink...I freaked out! The only thing I could do was grab her treats and then she let go. I knew if I even stepped towards her she would run and want me to chase her. If she has paper or something relatively harmless I do the "drop it" and she has gotten better. I can't walk away from her because she will eat whatever it is she has. If she ever has something dangerous  I go for the treats, but I also worry if this is really teaching her or will she keep doing it because she knows it will lead to a treat?
hah! I am glad I am not the only one facing this issue. Unless it's something very bad for Buck to have or something valuable I usually try to coax him over to me and try to do an exchange of sorts. Shoes are the only things right now that he will drop on command without anything in exchange. We are working are way up to more covetted stolen objects like um mulch, random plastic pieces that only he manages to find and kitchen towels...well the list goes on.. ::)

#12 ·
Ender's Mom said:
Ender: Whining excessively out of excitement in the car when he KNOWS we are close to the park, doggy day care, the vet, the lake... pretty much anywhere he's been where he's had fun. Drives us BATTY and yes... it is WORSE than the high-pitched puppy bark.

The other thing I HATE is when he steps on my bare foot... OUCH!
Kimba pulls this as well and the park is very close to our place and he knows where we are going, so I just do not understand. And when I get home from a run and he follows me EVERYWHERE trying to lick the sweat off any body part he can reach!! ughhhh

[attachment deleted by admin]

G
#13 ·
Bless my dog's little (sometimes rotten) heart. I love her so....but....

She too has to "clean" me when I come out of the shower. EWWW We have a routine. She tries to lick my legs and I jump back in and tell her to sit. Then I give her a leave it, and make her go back out the door. My bathroom is too small for both of us anyway, though she tries to be in there every second I am. Seems to work so far, though if I am exceptionally sleepy she will sneak in and get one leg before I'm paying attention.

If I'm sitting on the couch with the window open and the neighbors come home (she LOVES Aunt Laura and Uncle Brandon!) she will climb over me to try to get into the window sill to see them and say hello - she tries to fit her entire 59 lb body into the window frame and sit on the sill. They can be totally ignoring her but she'll try anyway. And be taking my head off in the process.

Stepping/standing on my feet/legs/any other body part with total disregard for my yelping in pain! This is getting better as she's been in my house longer.

Acting like a total flippin spaz when my friend Dianne and her Lab Bailey are around. Dianne continually calls Billie a lunatic, when Billie actually does have manners, they just escape her when Bailey is around. I am convinced that Billie + Bailey = Double Trouble, but Dianne blames my dog for being a bad influence. :(

#14 ·
7year old calico cat Skylar, (AKA Punky) will scream at me every morning starting hours before its time to get up, so that i will go to her room and touch her food dish. It can be completely full of food but if i dont go in the room and touch her dish she will NEVER shut up.

3 Month old McKenzie AKA (baby Jade) our chocolate baby let see how many can we list?!? LOL She LOVES bathtime. So much that she likes to join me when its MY bathtime. I have to keep her in her crate when i take a bath otherwise I'm in for it. Then theres chasing my 2year old cat Zander AKA (Bubby) who I admit will antagonize McKenzie whenever possible.

Other than that we're one big happy family! ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

#15 ·
I was just wondering this morning if Reba was the only dog that licks their person after a shower. I call Reba my 'knee licker pot sticker'. This does not annoy me much any more. Actually she quit doing this for quite a while and started again this summer.

My biggest peeve is that Reba thinks I have to accompany her into the yard when she poops. My husband is home all day, he has the dogs out several times during the day, and Reba waits until I come home and walk thru the yard with her. Just because she thinks that I can't go in the bathroom without her, doesn't mean I have to go to her bathroom with her. This causes me much concern if I have to be gone for more than usual.

#17 ·
My main pet peeve with Miss Cassie is that she eats poop! I'm always on the lookout for poop on our walks, but sometimes I just don't see it. I get soooooo angry whenever she does it; it aggravates me no end! I also get annoyed when she runs around the back of the townhomes across the driveway from me and then doesn't come when I call. That's the only time she gets "deaf", and then when she does come back (when SHE feels like it) she looks at me like "See, Mom, I come back to you - eventually!". Tail wagging furiously and a happy grin on her face. Love her to bits!

G
#18 ·
I have to say Tater licks me like crazy, I hate it. So gross, I dont want to be licked all the times. And I dont like the whinning either. HE does that same thing in the car when we go anywhere. But other then that, he is the greatest.

#19 ·
Pet peeves...pet peeves *thinks for a moment* ok...

The culprit: Abby, Age: 5, Annoying habits: I swear to you she has an obsessive compulsive disorder with anything that involves a ball. ESPECIALLY tennis balls!!! She will bark, whine, paw you and lick at you which brings me to my next annoying habit...licking. I'm not talking affecionate "i love you" licking. She licks chairs, the carpet, doors anything she can reach with her tounge. drives me insane!!!!! She also does the whining in the car thing uggggh!!!

Culprti 2: Molly; Age: 7months Annoying habits: Stealing things and making a game out of it no matter how hard you try to ignore her. Oh and the 5am wake up call

#20 ·
The only thing that comes to mind with Maxi is that when she finds a dead worm on the driveway or in the court, she'll very carefully pick it up and reposition it to her liking, and then proceed to collapse her front legs and do the 'rubbin' my ears on something delicious' thing.
Other than that she's absolutely perfect! :laugh:

#21 ·
I hate it when I'm in a rush and take Rocky for a quick potty break and once he's done decides he doesn't want to come back inside and calapses his legs and lays on his side like dead weight on the grass. If I tell him to get up and come inside, he just looks at me as if to say "you talking to me?" If I pull on his leash, he will literally let me drag him along the grass rather than get up (this will probably be easier on snow). Anyway, other than that, he does have a few other "puppy" habits that aggravate, like the grab an object and chase me game, but generally not to bad.

#22 ·
Ditto about the grab-and-chase game, especially with newspapers. Given a few unobserved minutes, Corby can completely shred the morning paper. He's good at "drop it" but that too becomes a game... grab something, run away, mommy rattles the treat can, come back & drop it. And on the weekend, Corby found a large dead fish, and proceeded to carry that around. Gross :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.