Tater has Ear Mites

Thread: Tater has Ear Mites

Tater Guest

DefaultTater has Ear Mites

My baby boy has ear mites, going home at lunch to take care of them. I feel bad for him, he keeps shaking his head and scratching them. He was shaking his ears so hard this morning he fell over and hit the wall in the bathroom with me.

How do dogs get ear mites? Was something I need wrong?

If you have any advice on this please give me some, I want to know how to keep it from happening again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Tater has Ear Mites

Awww. Poor baby. Not sure how they get them, but there is over-the-counter meds for it or take him to a vet for treatment, but don't hesitate because vigorous head shaking like that can give him an ear hematoma.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Poor baby Frankie had them when he was a pup and he had to have 3 treatments at the vet to get rid of them. You should take him in, he's probably miserable.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oh poor baby. Hope he gets well soon. That's gotta be uncomfortable.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Has he already been to the vet to diagnose them? Ear mites aren't nearly as common in dogs as they are in cats... very uncommon, actually. Usually dogs end up with a variety of yeast/bacterial infections that cause a very similar-looking black-brown debris in there.

Either way, the two different problems are treated completely differently... poor guy must be miserable. As someone who has had chronic ear problems myself (since childhood), I really feel for dogs and cats with ear infections...and can't imagine what it must feel like to have things crawling around in there, too! Ugh!

I hope Tater is feeling better soon!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Tater Guest

No there is no comfirmation of ear mites. I didnt really see anything black int here. But there is something wrong wtih his ears. NOw I ave him a bath on monday or tuesday. So maybe some water got in there. Not sure, but I am very careful abotu water in his ears. He did spend the weekend with my parents who have three cates and they sometimes have ear mites. Could he have gotten them from them? I am going to see what I can do to treat them, he already have a vet appointment next saturday for a check up. Codys mom has some stuff the VET gave her to give bama when his ears get like this. So we will see. we have give tater the ear stuff before when he went swimming in the lake just to keep them clean. I am very protective over my dog, Cody thinks I am crazy but I love him.

Ahhh, poor Tater! I know Trooper had them when he was a puppy too, when we first got him, and was treated for it.
    I hope he feels better!

georgie is offline Senior Member

Poor Tatar. Will he let you clean his ear with a warm cloth? I clean my girls ears & when i notice head shaking & get a white washcloth & wet it with warm water & I clean their ears. If I see alot of brown gunk...it's off to the vet for ear drops.
    Our last lab got a huge hematoma from shaking her head after swimming.

I hope he feels better soon.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Poor Tater! Hope he feels better soon!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence