Question about buying another lab
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about buying another lab

DefaultQuestion about buying another lab

The lab that I currently have is 13 weeks old. There is someone that wants to get rid of there 13 week old. I only have fence to put them in. 10x10x6. Is this to small for the both of them? They will eventually be breed so I thought I could get some help on this. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question about buying another lab

~Lindsay

Dani is offline Senior Member

Welcome.

You are going to get a ton of answers on this...so I am going to warn you up front that you may feel attacked...and it's not meant to be personal...but since we are passionate here about labrador retrievers and maintaining the integrity of the breed I am going to hope that you listen to what we have to say with an open mind.

Labs are terribly overbred in the United States. All too often folks think they are a gateway to money making. If you are breeding because people have stated that they would like a puppy out of your dog or you think your dog is the best or that you want your kids to witness the miracle of life. Stop, get your dog neutered and enjoy him as a pet.

If you have been showing your dog or competing with him in trials and he has attained some titles which implies that he is more than a couch potato, then I think you would have more merit in looking into breeding than to just say "he's from championship lines or hunting lines" which usually say that the CH or FC are about 4 generations back which have no direct bearing on the ability of your dog.

To Breed or Not to Breed
    This question plagues people every single day. Let me tell you, there are many reasons why people decide to breed their dogs and there are millions of reasons why people should not breed.

Reasons that people give as reasons to breed:

My dog is awesome. I want to have his legacy live on.
    My children would benefit from seeing the miracle of birth.
    I want to make money off of my dog.
    They are AKC registered and come from championship lines.
    I didn't plan on breeding but she accidently got pregnant.
    My dog is beautiful, others have told me they want a dog just like it.

None of these reasons make the persons or dogs involved reputable or necessarily "breeding stock". These reasons for breeding usually result in what are known as Back Yard Breeders and produce dogs for the sake of producing dogs and not for the betterment of the Labrador breed.

Did you know that there are OVER 125,000 Labrador Retrievers registered with the American Kennel Club annually? This is but one registering entity in the world! Add to this number the other registering bodies, mix in the "oops" litters that never get registered, the registerable dogs that don't get registered, all of the strays and all of the labs stuck in shelters or rescues right now and the true Labrador Retriever has become lost in translation.

If you need a reason not to breed your Lab, I would highly suggest looking at the Petfinder™ website to see how many available labs there are out there in the United States alone. Unfortunately, many of these homeless labs never make it out of these shelters alive.

If you still are interested in breeding:
    Are you a reputable breeder or just a backyard breeder? Find out the difference between the two here (http://st15.startlogic.com/%7Ejustonel/breeder.html)

Now ponder this. Youd should breed ONLY under the following conditions:

You are active in dog clubs, competitions and of further IMPROVING the Labrador breed.
    Your dog is mature enough (2 years or older).
    Your dog is themselves titled proving that they are a capable working dog as the breed standard outlines and not just from "champion bloodlines".
    Your dog is free from genetic and physical defects and has all OFA clearances and eye certifcations of favorable scores completed and on record.
    Your dog is of sound temperment.

A registered dog is not an indicator of QUALITY!
    Most dogs, even purebreds, should not be bred. Many dogs, though wonderful pets, have defects of structure, personality or health that should not be perpetuated. Breeding animals should be proven free of these defects before starting on a reproductive career. If you do not know what these defects are that we are talking about, you should not be breeding. Breeding should only be done with the goal of improvement - an honest attempt to create puppies better than their parents. Ignorance is no excuse - once you have created a life, you can't take it back, even if blind, crippled or a canine psychopath!

Furthermore, if you are keeping your baby outside and don't know the difference between breed and bred, then you should reconsider breeding. It's not for the novice. If this is your first lab and you haven't gotten this one trained and are already considering a second one and breeding, you need to stop and pass on this dog.

Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Great post, Dani.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Thanks for the advise. I do not feel like I'm being attached. We I look at Shadow he just looks like he wants/needs another Lab to play with. I may concider getting him fixed and then getting another one so he'll have someone to play with all the time. Thanks guys!

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

*chanting*
    Get him fixed!
    Get him fixed!

Having 2 labs that young will be a handful!!! I wouldn't do it. We got Frankie when Tucker was 4 and it's working out perfectly. Tucker didn't get over his puppy stage until 3, which is the norm for a lab.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Two puppies at the same time is a very bad idea. If your current pup is lacking attention, you'll just end up with two that lack attention. Find some people that have dogs of similar age and set up some play dates and enroll in an obedience class to stimulate your pup mentally. Once your dog is right where you want them training wise, then add another dog...usually this is at least a year.

As far as the breeding, there is no way that you can know a 13 week old baby will grow up to be breeding quality so it's kind of a moot point right now. Dani gave you wonderful advice though

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I agree, don't take that second puppy. It's best to add more dogs when the first one is older and trained. If you think the pup is bored, then you should probably pay more attention to it.

And as far as breeding goes, you got good advice, don't do it. There are strict breeding guidelines....

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Just want to repeat what everyone else has said...Do NOT get the second puppy! Not yet anyways.
    One is a challenge enough to properly raise. Find the second puppy a good home and set up play dates with his new owners so your puppy and the other puppy can play and grow up together. Breeding is not for everyone. It's a huge investment of time and money and effort and a big big responsibility to do it right. It's not for everyone or just anyone. Get your puppy fixed when the time comes.

Definitely listen to EVERYTHING Dani wrote.

I don't mean to sound mean or anything.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Thanks for all the input. Nothing anyone has said was taking the wrong way!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast