? For those with wire crates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? For those with wire crates

Default? For those with wire crates

I know some of you have the large wire crates that you use to crate your pups when you are out of the house. Do you recommend a certain brand? I want something big enough for him to be comfortable in all day so I think we are gonna get one of those. I just read about dogs dying from the one black petmate one because it can push apart and they can get their head stuck in there and choke yikes! I know you are all about safety also so you will have good advice for me on which ones are safe . Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: ? For those with wire crates

We have a SAVIC, I do not know if they sell them in US. It works great for Kimba, he was crate trained from day 1 and he is still crated at 14 months old when we are not home.

[attachment deleted by admin]

ipopy Guest

We used a Midwest Wire crate - the largest size they had. They come with a divider so you can section of part of the crate for when the dog is very young. Never had any problems with it.

~ss

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Well, I have always heard that the Kennel-Aire crates are the very safest. They have a small mesh - 1". With such a small mesh there is no chance that a dog could get his mouth or any other body part caught in the wire. You can order them from Drs. Foster and Smith. They are a bit more expensive than other crates, but I think they are worth the extra investment. I know of people who have 20 year old Kennel-Aire crates that are still in great shape.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I'm also going to be looking for another wire crate soon...so I don't have one that I reccomend. I do have experience with some types that I wouldn't reccomend though just because Brigetta is pretty strong and has tried to get out of her crate on her own when she has heard maintenance people inside working. I don't have a problem with the brand, just the style. I have a Midwest folding wire crate right now for Brigetta. When it's time for a larger crate I won't get the folding type again because she can push it apart (if she's trying to) I've had to secure all of the sides, just in case. I also have the Midwest drop pin wire crate for my little dog. This type can't be pushed apart and works great for a smaller dog or one who is not an "escape artist", however it might not be heavy enough for a large dog. Good luck!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

I don't know the brand of the one we got, but I will tell you it has the side entry as well as a front entry and I really like that feature. I got it at Petsmart. It was the more expensive one they had if I remember correctly. Lucy is really calm and never tries to get out so I can't attest to its strength.

Good luck!

Kristy
    and Lucy

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

the crate I have is made by Life Stages it sounds like the one Kristy described. I do not know the size other than big we got it at petsmart. I thought the price was good too, Brodie's cage is smaller and I paid the same price 8 yrs ago. I like the way the life stages is built it folds and not as many pieces as the ones that come totally apart.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

We used a Midwest Wire crate - the largest size they had.* They come with a divider so you can section of part of the crate for when the dog is very young.* Never had any problems with it.
    Us too. It seems very sturdy. Ours also has the side and front entrance.

We never even used our divider, because we wanted him to have a little more space to move around in too.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Dani is offline Senior Member

Mid West
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

mid west with a divider Beau is three and he still loves his crate even though he has the run of the house now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast