Exercise Pens - Lots of Questions

Thread: Exercise Pens - Lots of Questions

InkoPup is offline Senior Member

DefaultExercise Pens - Lots of Questions

Ok, so I hate to sound doofy, but how long do you leave your dog in an ex pen? Are they OK for a 3-4 session while I am away from home?

I could build a real kennel/dog run, but the ex pen option is attractive b/c it can be moved to accomodate for changing seasons (sun and shade).

How do others use ex pens?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Exercise Pens - Lots of Questions

We've never used ours outside... they aren't very stable unless you anchor them. We use bungee cords to attach the open door of the pen to the open door of the crate, which is heavy enough to anchor it.

In my neighbourhood I wouldn't leave CoCo outside while we are out... we live in the 'burbs and people cut through our lawn and there are other dogs around... I just wouldn't risk it. Even when we have the yard fenced in we'll only put her out there when we are home.
    ~Jo & CoCo

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

definitely with CoCosmom on this one. I would NEVER leave my dog outside alone, even in a fenced in yard.
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Sorry - I didn't answer your question!

I used the same rule of thumb as with a crate... 1 hour per month of age plus one... but I hate to go beyond 5 hrs without a break even though CoCo is 6.5 months now. In September there will be a few days where she'll be crated for 7-8 hrs though.

If its only a few hours, you can leave them crated inside. Don't worry about putting your dog outside, as its very risky. If you live somewhere that an actual dog run with shelter is possible and is safe and well enclosed, that would be much better than an ex-pen because the pens are not all that stable and a dog could jump out too.
    ~Jo & CoCo

Dani is offline Senior Member

i've never owned an x-pen for my pup. It was either out with me or in his crate...I don't see a safe middle ground there with them...they do knock over easy.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

InkoPup is offline Senior Member

Hmmmm.... I'm really torn on this one. Our first pup had a crate and an outdoor locking kennel with a top panel, and we lived in a really small town where I could go home for lunch and even my 15 minute breaks (I could see my house from work).

This time, we're in a totally different situation. I need at least 30 minutes of round trip transit time to go home and I have a job that does not guarantee lunch or a break - sometimes weird stuff happens and I have to deal with it. Luckily, he's been coming to work with me and will do so until he's about 5.5 months... unless someone complains and then he is banished.

So anyway, we have a lovely backyard, full fenced, with lock options, but also full of lovely perennials that are not good for a pup to chew on - lilies, iris, tulips, you name a bad one, we've got it. He loves to lie out in the grass under the trees and just hates it when he has to come and get in his crate on a pretty day.

So, I was remembering the kennel, which the first dog just loved. She would hang out in there, sitting on her dog house, watching the world go by... literally. One day I was home sick and had her inside with me when I heard these little voices:
    "hey, where's skyler? she's gone!"
    "oh no, do you think she escaped?"
    "this is bad, maybe we should leave them a note."

It was little kids who walked home from school and visited her everyday... very cute!

Anyway, I guess it might just be the crate for 10 hours a day, with a break at a some point.