advise please.

Thread: advise please.

Defaultadvise please.

Hi all..

I am fostering the golden retriever pup that i found last week on the side of the road. *Casey (my setter) just barked at the pup a lot and that was it.. *Growled too if he came too close. *Coal on the other hand is really acting bad. * He is trying to "hump" the pup all the time. * Or takes his big paw and knocks him over. *Nips at him a lot on the neck and back. *Hasnt really bitten him but just nips him enough that his hair is wet.
    This morning though Casey started in on the act and Coal and Casey were ganging up on the pup. *again no bitting just the nipping and putting their paws on his back knocking him over.

The pup is 5 months approx and 30 lbs. *My guys are 75lbs and 95lbs. *Just afraid that hes going to get hurt... *

I make my guys come to and sit down or lay down but it doesnt last long and they are back at it again. *

What can i do? *Coal is crate trained and Casey (who was my sisters dog) isnt. *

I let them outside this morning and set up the storage room so only the pup can get in. *the other guys have their dog houses if they need them. *I watched them this morning outside and they dont do all this crap. *Its just when they are in the house and around me... * *

oh and the pup stands up for himself when he has enough. *he bites the crap out of them with those puppy teeth.

I have never had this problem before. *All three dogs are male...

any advise would be great. * Tomorrow it will be a week since hes been here and I agreed to foster him until augst 10th but now wondering if its a bad idea all around. *

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rexduke Guest

DefaultRe: advise please.

Sounds like normal play to me, like you said the pup lets them know when he's had enough. Some of the bitty face sesions i've heard about have drawn blood, so yours sounds pretty tame. Remember he is a pup, your dogs are teaching him. Letting him know the who the leader is.

You are doing a great service fostering that pup, Cheers too you!!

So should i just let it go? Once Coal (my lab) gets started he just keeps on and on... granted sometimes the pup starts it but Coal just gets really upset and starts panting a lot... Casey used to just sit there and bark at them but now hes getting into it to... The first day we went outside together they let him know really quick he wasnt going out the door before them.

Also any hints on how to get the pup to let me know he has to go outside. Hes only had a few accidents in the house but each time its right there where i am at... I dont let him roam the house. block off one room at a time... and I take them out every hour to hour and half to go potty and at night he sleeps in the crate and only wakes me up at about 1-2 to go potty and then sleeps till 6-6:30.

The pup lays down a lot... whenever he decides to get up theres a chance that Coal will start picking on him again.

thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rexduke Guest

If you think the bitty face is getting out of control, stop it. Let Coal Know it's not OK to hurt the pup, send him to his crate or in a sit/stay for as long as it takes to clam him.

A lot of people on here use a bell on the door nob for potty breaks, the puppers catch on really fast( humans too ). Just give it a tap the first few times you take him out for a potty break. Duke just used to hit the door handle with his nose and let out a little cry when he needed to go. now (he is 19 months) he does the pasing in front of the door, or sits there staring at the door until someone notices him.* lol

Can you teach Coal to be gentle, like when taking treats from your hand? If you are afraid during these bitty sesions they will get worse cause your dog can sense your fear and will react to it thinking he is protecting you. It does sound like he is just letting him know the pecking order, Coal, Casey then the pup.

Casey sounds like your boy... I let them have run of the house and he will go and lay by the back door in the middle of night guess he thinks i can read his mind and know he has to go potty... but he will just lay there and wait on me... sometimes he will whine really loud if he really has to go but otherwise he just lays there... knows i will get up eventually...

Casey is actually the boss of the house between him and Coal. I always thought it was kinda funny that Coal would be scared of Casey considering their weight difference... but he lets Casey take bones from him eat out of his bowl if i am not watching. But Coal also is the food hog and will eat his bowl really quick and go looking at Casey's so Casey really had to get that way to let him know its not ok to eat his food too..

thanks for the advise... will give the bell a try... and will try the crate for Coal... The crate may be one problem between them. Since the foster was unexpected the only crate i had big enough for the pup is Coal's. Granted Coal never sleeps in it anymore or even goes in it for that matter but its still his and I dont think he likes the pup in it... but thats another problem ;D

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I use the bell with Brigetta (almost 6 months). Everytime I would take her out I would touch her nose to the bell and say "potty" then take her out to go and bring her right back in. Soon she would touch her nose to he bell on her own to let me know. Good luck!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence