Leg humping?

Thread: Leg humping?

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

DefaultLeg humping?

Kody is 5 years old now, and he has taken to mounting kids that he meets. When he was younger he would do this to adults that he didn't know, mostly men, and it seemed to be his way of establishing dominance. After a lot of correction and reinforcement we pretty much broke that trait until about a year ago. I've noticed more and more that when he meets kids on our walks, he will attempt to mount their leg. He is in no way aggressive towards them or excited, but I don't understand why he is doing this.

I always correct him when it happens, but he doesn't do it with us or anyone he knows, so it is hard to create training situations. He does still try it occasionally with my neighbor so I may see if he'll help me out. He loves Kody and I'm sure will help us work with him. Any suggestions on why he is doing this or how to deal with it are appreciated.

Jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rexduke Guest

DefaultRe: Leg humping?

Duke only humps small children too, so hopefully someone will read this and give us both an answer!! (Duke is also fixed)

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Humping is a way that dogs express their dominance over another person or dog. You should not allow your dog to do this to any person - adult or child. You need to give him a sharp correction EVERY TIME he tries this with anybody. Until he realizes that this is not acceptable he should be on leash any time he is around other people, so that you can make a timely correction if needed. Stop this behavior now - he's telling you that he is the boss.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

Thank you Labsrme. I thought it was probably an "I'm the boss" type thing. I am going to work on staging some opportunities for him to do it with my neighbor, so we can work on this more consistently.

Rexduke, Kody is fixed as well so I really ruled out it being a sexual thing. Hopefully with some consistent strong correction Kody and Duke will stop this.

rexduke Guest

I haven't tried keeping him on leach, I'll do that...Thank you.