...I am SOO Disappointed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ...I am SOO Disappointed

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Default...I am SOO Disappointed

Buck was doing SOOOOOOOOO well with being housebroken...then I don't know what just happened.

I was cooking and stuff and he was getting bored I could tell. He was just laying near my feet sighing and stuff. Then he got up and wandered off and I just got this gutt feeling so I quietly followed him and CAUGHT HIM PEEING AROUND THE CORNER EXACTLY 2 FEET FROM THE FRONT DOOR WHERE THE BELL HANGS!!!! I ran up and SCREAMED at him at the top of my lungs! NOOOOOOOOOO STOP ! GO OUTSIDE GO OUTSIDE NOW! and grabbed him by the collar and threw him outside. Then I wipped up the mess and peeked through the curtain to see him and he was sitting right near the front door with a horribly sad look on his face. I think he realised he did something wrong. Normally if I let him outside he runs off to play but not this time. He sat there staring at the door for 10 mins before I let him in. He came in with his head hanging low and I told him to go to his crate and he did. He is now sitting in there with a very sad look on his face. Someone won't be getting his special snack that he always gets after we are finished with dinner.
    I am very very very disappointed in him* I still give him small treats for peeing and pooping outside. There is no way he doesn't understand that peeing outside is good. I know he knows!

Any ideas on why he did this? Do you think he did it for attention? Or is he still going through the " I am testing you" phase?

It just occurred to me...when we got back from our walk about an hour before the incident the sprinklers went off in our yard. Buck really does not like sprinklers. He is afraid of them. Well we got into our yard and he peed right after his walk and then the sprinklers turn on and he ran to the front door to get in. I wonder if that's what caused him to get to the front door but not actually go out. Maybe he was afraid to go out but had to go really bad...He drank a ton of water after our walk cuz it's hot outside...who knows what he was really thinking...But I think he realises what I am upset about.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: ...I am SOO Disappointed (also posted in Training Tips and Puppy advice)

Don't take this the wrong way ... but I think you are over-reacting. Yeah, it was wrong, and who knows why he did it. But Buck is young and hey, dogs don't always make great decisions. ;D Really it's like potty training a child -- it's not like they learn it and then never have an accident. It's a few step forwards and then oops, a step back. Sami was housebroken for months when she just up and pooped on my floor one day. Who knows why ... but it was a one time occurrence and she's never done it since.

Just relax about it this time ... BUT if it happens again and again, well then I'd be concerned.

DefaultRe: ...I am SOO Disappointed (also posted in Training Tips and Puppy advice)

Oh! He probably didn't want to get his little feetsees wet. He's still a pup He will come around Give him some time. At least he knows when he does something wrong. Better than him standing outside laughing at you. At least you know he felt bad!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

My first thought was that he was looking for attention from you. But after reading your last paragraph it sounds like the sprinklers may have had an effect on him. If he is not fond of the sprinklers, it would be like you correcting him for peeing in the yard. It would be like having someone sneak up and scare you while you were using the bathroom. Can you schedule the sprinklers to come on at a time when he would be less likely to be out there?

georgie is offline Senior Member

Accidents happen. He is young. I really don't think dogs do that intentionaly. Could it be he walked to the door while you were cooking & you missed his signal he needed to go out? I did that with Abby, she had been sitting at the door & I was busy...I looked a little later & there was a wet spot where she had peed. I had her out not long before she did that. So who knows why.

** You see I always side with the dog first."

yeah I am going to reschedule the sprinklers...I totally forgot they were going to be going off at that time. Normally I make sure he isn't around when it happens :
    I know I may have over reacted a bit about this...but *sigh* we were doing sooo well. He doesn't have accidents often...this was like the 6th time since he was 8 weeks old. He's 7 months old now. So last night just totally threw me off!

It could be possible that I didn't hear him ring the bell....must keep closer eye I guess.

I am just trying to figure out what happened...so I can fix the problem...if there is one...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep274
    My first thought was that he was looking for attention from you. But after reading your last paragraph it sounds like the sprinklers may have had an effect on him. If he is not fond of the sprinklers, it would be like you correcting him for peeing in the yard. It would be like having someone sneak up and scare you while you were using the bathroom. Can you schedule the sprinklers to come on at a time when he would be less likely to be out there?
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure dogs never do this for attention and I am pretty sure he is not trying to test you. He is a baby, you are going to have accidents happen. It took a long long time for kimba to be 100% solid on the whole potty thing. Even up to 10 months he had accidents for whatever reason (not often but he was 10 months last time he just went on the floor). I would just be sure to let him out more often and watch closer when you have come home from a walk bc they tend to drink so much and have to go pretty soon thereafter.
    Good luck and don't get frustrated! Dogs catch on at all different paces.
    I do want to comment that I believe you should be going out with Bucky when you catch him so you can praise him when he continues outside. If you just put him out there, he is NOT going to make the connection (for all we know he is thinking, ok dad/mom sees me pee and then I have to go sit outside bc I did something wrong so I guess I should never ever let my dad/mom see me pee EVER). I would recommend going out with him and then praising the hell out of him when he finishes outside! Like he won the damn lottery if you have to and repeat your potty phrase "GOOD BOY BUCKY! POTTY OUTSIDE!! GOOD BOY!!!!!"
    Also, not giving him his special treat in my opinion is incorrect. There is no way he can remember what he did one hour ago and link that to why he does not get his usual treat let alone if it was 5 minutes ago (sorry did not know the time frame you were talkikng about). Dogs do not think like humans.

Quote Originally Posted by kimbabear
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep274
    My first thought was that he was looking for attention from you. But after reading your last paragraph it sounds like the sprinklers may have had an effect on him.* If he is not fond of the sprinklers, it would be like you correcting him for peeing in the yard.* It would be like having someone sneak up and scare you while you were using the bathroom.* Can you schedule the sprinklers to come on at a time when he would be less likely to be out there?
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure dogs never do this for attention and I am pretty sure he is not trying to test you. He is a baby, you are going to have accidents happen. It took a long long time for kimba to be 100% solid on the whole potty thing. Even up to 10 months he had accidents for whatever reason (not often but he was 10 months last time he just went on the floor). I would just be sure to let him out more often and watch closer when you have come home from a walk bc they tend to drink so much and have to go pretty soon thereafter.
    Good luck and don't get frustrated! Dogs catch on at all different paces.*
    I do want to comment that I believe you should be going out with Bucky when you catch him so you can praise him when he continues outside. If you just put him out there, he is NOT going to make the connection (for all we know he is thinking, ok dad/mom sees me pee and then I have to go sit outside bc I did something wrong so I guess I should never ever let my dad/mom see me pee EVER).* I would recommend going out with him and then praising the hell out of him when he finishes outside! Like he won the damn lottery if you have to and repeat your potty phrase "GOOD BOY BUCKY! POTTY OUTSIDE!! GOOD BOY!!!!!"
    Also, not giving him his special treat in my opinion is incorrect. There is no way he can remember what he did one hour ago and link that to why he does not get his usual treat let alone if it was 5 minutes ago (sorry did not know the time frame you were talkikng about). Dogs do not think like humans.

When I wrote the post it was soon after the incident and I was just frazzled and he did end up getting his snack cuz we ate dinner much later and like you said by then he wouldn't be making the connection. Yeah it was a mistake on my part to not go out with him. I have in the past but this time I was just too shocked (I know not a good excuse). However, I took him out to pee about an hour later and praised the heck out of him when he went outside. Thing is I have not stopped praising him and popping an occassional treat for doing his business outside since the day he came home back in february. I always go outside with him when he has to do his business just so I can keep reminding him that he is doing a great job
    He's gotten so big sometimes I just forget that despite that he is still a puppy and has a ways to go before he knows exactly what to do without mistakes :P

Gotta keep reminding myself...Need to relax need to relax need to relax...hehe

DefaultRe: ...I am SOO Disappointed

It is tough sometimes to remember how young they are specially when they do get bigger. :

***Breathe..relax..(repeat as needed)**

DefaultRe: ...I am SOO Disappointed

ya, he is just a baby still on the inside. Sounds like you are doing everything right, just stick with it! Sometime Kimba would be distracted with a toy to the point that it was almost like he forgot his bladder was full (one track mind) and then the minute he walked from the toy the pee would just dribble out uncontrollably....poor guy, but some pups don't develop reallly solid muscles to hold their bladders up to 9-12 months of age....
    i just like to confirm he is NORMAL (Bucky) bc when this was happening with Kimba and EVERYONE else's dog was trained in 5 days/month/whatever we went as far as believing he might have kidney problems and such bc there were intermittent accidents (thank gosh we did not pay to run all those tests). In the end, he just needed some time, now he won't ask to go for 5-8 hours when we are hanging out at home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast