Question about CNM. (muscle disease)

Thread: Question about CNM. (muscle disease)

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion about CNM. (muscle disease)

My breeder said she had her labs tested for a muscle disease that is showing up in labs. I forget the name of it. I see now where breeders are putting CNM clear & I wonder if that is what my breeder was talking about.

I know you smart people will know the answer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Question about CNM. (muscle disease)

CNM is central Neural myopathy. Here is a link that explains it best. http://www.labradorcnm.com It is a recessive muscular disorder (i.e both parents have to carry the gene). My little Mischa has it and only time will tell what degree she will have to live with.
    Hope that helps

Thanks Mischasmom. That was what my breeder said. She said they are stating to do DNA testing for it. I guess you can be a carrier & not have it but if both parents carry the gene then they can pass it on to their litters.

Mischa is beautiful.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WigWag Guest

This is only found in field Labradors and up until now they have had a big problem with it because a few of their top stud dogs were carriers and people bred to them anyway either because they didn't know or because they did know but were willing to take the risk since those dogs were producing field champions.

labby is offline Senior Member

It is a recessive gene (like PRA) so both parents must carry it for it to cause an affected dog. Many people with carriers are overreacting (like we did when we first had our PRA gene test) and are taking the carriers out of the breeding programs. You can still breed carriers, but you MUST breed them to normals, then test the puppies. We learned this with our PRA gene test as many people were washing out their carriers.

EVERY field bred dog should be tested for this BEFORE they are bred. There is no excuse not to.

Laura

Yes, that is what my breeder said. She has a young male she just had tested. She said she would not breed him to a female who was not tested.
    Yes, there have been problems with some top field labs, that is what she had told me when we got Abby.
    Because these labs were champions, so many were bred. So now people are looking for lines that do not have any of these pedigrees.
    The best thing is to ask if the parents were tested & clear. I said I wasn't worried since my girls are always spayed & then my breeder started telling me about it & why you would not want to breed two carriers.
    Again...this site is so informative. The more knowledge the better.
    Thanks.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by georgie
    So now people are looking for lines that do not have any of these pedigrees.
    Good luck to them.

Laura