need advice on new family member
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need advice on new family member

JoeinTexas is offline Senior Member

Defaultneed advice on new family member

My wife and I recently rescued a chocolate lab from the local animal shelter, she had been dropped off and the shelter didn't know anything about her. We have had her for one week today and she is really coming around now to showing energy and trust towards us which she didn't do until a couple of days ago. We have taken her to our vet and he says she is about 3 years old and in good health, she did not have any tags so we had her vaccinated just to be safe, she is scheduled to be spayed Thursday. Is there a certain brand of food most here recommend? How much exercise will she need? Any suggestions or tips on how to make and keep her happy and healthy? Our last pet was a cocker which we had for 13 years, boy talk about different personalities! this little girl can almost talk and she now seems to have unlimited energy and love, which for the first four days we had her she was very listless and almost uncaring, maybe she just needed time to adjust to us also. Any advice would be appreciated.....by all three of us.

Joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: need advice on new family member

Congrats to you all. The vet might recommend something. Alot of folks here fed Purina One I believe.

Janna and Boomer is offline Senior Member

We feed Boomer Iams, and are very happy with it.* Some people would disagree, but I really think you can feed your dog just about any food and they'll be fine.* It's up to you how you feel about certain additives, dyes, and filler (and how much you want to spend!)

Exercise, I know some people would also disagree with this being enough exercise, but I go for a 1 mile walk with Boomer every morning, 5-6 days a week.* Once a week we go to the beach where he gets to run free for awhile, and swim.* I think a lot of it depends on how much exercise your lab is "asking" for.* You WILL be able to tell if they're not getting enough!

Congrats on your new family member!* You will LOVE having a lab.* Post some pics!* *;D

Edited because I forgot to say a bunch of stuff!*

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BradsDarla is offline Senior Member

Congrats on the new addition. Your life has just taken a new direction for sure. There will be alot of info on past posts but I would like to ad, give your new addition time to adjust. He/She will be under alot of stress learning the do and don't of the household and be patient. Labs are smart but if you or the family are giving mixed signals then things get difficult. Agree on the same set of rules and stick to them. If given an inch they will take a mile and they WILL test you.

Allie is offline Senior Member

Congrats and welcome! She will most likely need a lot of exercise, walking, fetching (if she likes to fetch), swimming. A tired lab is a happy lab. It will take some time to adjust, but it will be worth it! If you aren't familiar with it, I highly recommend looking into crate training as well.

The best food is the food that suits your dog and fits your budget. You can tell a food's quality by looking at how many of the first few ingredients are actual named meat products (chicken meal, fish meal, beef meal, etc). One that has corn or wheat products in the first few ingredients is generally not a very high quality food. Purina ONE or ProPlan are great and not too hard on the budget (and I've personally had success with these foods).
    Allie, Teddy (6), Emily (7), and Ivy (4)

bebedechocolate is offline Junior Member

congrats on your chocolate pup! how great of you to get a dog from the shelter. as for food, if you want a good quiality food that wont break your budget, I agree that Purina One or Proplan are popular. Nutro is also supposed to be really good and not too expensive. I use Authority (Petsmart brand) and ith as really good ingredients and is cheaper than Purina One, ProPlan, and Nutro.

mercedez is offline Senior Member

Yeah, seems like your was just a little nervous about her surroundings. It does take time for an older dog to adjust to a new lifestyle and home. Just show her alot of love and affection and she will do the same for you. Good luck to you and I am looking forward to seeing some pics of your new family member.
    Laura<br />

imported_azlab is offline Senior Member

Welcome and congratulations on the new family member.

I agree with the others feed what is best for your pup.* If you have a Costco membership a lot of people here feed Kirlands Lamb and Rice.* Cinnamon did great on it but it tooks 4 or 5 months for her to eat a bag as she is a self regulator and rarely eats more than a 1 1/2 per day so I switched to California Natural which I get at the stock shop.* Kirkland is about $17 or $18 for a large bag.* They don't make it in a smaller size.

I do think though if you feed a premium food that isn't full of fillers (both of the above fall in that category) you end up spending less in the long run as you feed less.*

My one piece of advice is if she is a lab who is ball crazy buy a chuck-it and save your arm.* It will make the repeat throws a lot easier.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...t=chuck+it&N=2
    Karon<br /><br />

georgie is offline Senior Member

Welcome. You will have so much fun with your new girl. All labs are different & what food may work for one may not work for another. I use Pro Plan & my labs do well. But you have to see how your girl does.
    These labs are so much fun. Doing things with them makes a big difference. One word of advice "A tired lab is a good lab."

Enjoy!!

JoeinTexas is offline Senior Member

Thank you all for the great advice on food and exercise. I will try to figure out how to post a picture...not too good on the computer. She is really a great looking dog, we named her Molly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast