Your Opinion on my Options, Please ... (boarding or petsitter)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Opinion on my Options, Please ... (boarding or petsitter)

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultYour Opinion on my Options, Please ... (boarding or petsitter)

Please give me your opinions (before I lose any more sleep! )

At the end of the month we'll be going to my in-laws for 4 days. They are non-dog people. I have kennel reservations for Sami -- she would get personal attention, but no playtime w/ other dogs. Instead of the kennel, I could have my petsitter come and let Sami out 4x a day (or more if I choose). The petsitter would handle meals and would take Sami on a walk at each 30 minute visit. Keep in mind that since Sami is just 12 months old, she doesn't have full run of the house when I'm not home ... so, I would have to leave her in an x-pen attached to her crate, but realistically she'd probably have about that same amount of room at the kennel.

Anyone have thoughts about this one way or another ... I'm just sick about having to leave her. (Oh, and I would prefer to leave her in a doggie day care boarding facility, but being unaltered rules that out.)

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Your Opinion on my Options, Please ... (boarding or petsitter)

Do you have any friends that would be willing to help out. Alternate a few times a day with feeding and letting her out. When we go away we have 3 of our friends stop by every few hours and they call us before they leave to let us know everything is ok! That is an option but either way Leaving her home she would probably be more comforatable with a sitting service than being somewhere that she is not familiar with! Good Luck

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Just a slight aside.. I won't take an petsitting assignment where other people (friends or family) will be involved. There are liability isssues, but more importantly, the once or twice this has happened, there was conflict between my instructions, which I follow to the letter, and what the 'non-professional' wanted to do.

Of the choices you listed, I'd go with the petsitter or, if you can find someone, a homeboarding situation.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    Just a slight aside.. I won't take an petsitting assignment where other people (friends or family) will be involved. There are liability isssues, but more importantly, the once or twice this has happened, there was conflict between my instructions, which I follow to the letter, and what the 'non-professional' wanted to do.

Of the choices you listed, I'd go with the petsitter or, if you can find someone, a homeboarding situation.

I understand & appreciate that ... and it's why I'm prepared to pay extra for additional visits / time from the petsitter. Sami is familiar w/ the petsitter and is quite happy with her. But it's a lot of time alone, something that she is totally not accustomed to. I have been looking for an "in-their-house" petsitter (homeboarding), but so far without success.

If those are your only options I would go with the pet sitter she knows and home.

She won't get that much attention in a kennel. I would be sure and leave the pet sitter lots of frozen kongs.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I would go with the kennels but that's just me. Leaving them alone at night in particular would make me very nervous. Mine are perfectly happy to be left alone for long periods but at least I know I am always coming back to them and not a pet sitter. Kennelling isn't great (even though I have never done it) but I can't imagine it will hurt the dog for just a couple of days.

I would definitely continue your search for an "in-the-house" pet sitter as this is what we use with great success. The woman we take our dogs to lets them have run of her dog-proof house/yard and they have many acres of private open field and woods for the dogs to run and play. My dogs never want to leave when we collect them!

I would go with the Kennel espically if your labbie is not used to being left alone for long periods of time you would have peace of mind that they would take care of anything that could go wrong... hard choice good luck...in a perfect world you could get rid of those in-laws...everyone should love dogs...hehehehehe

I've always had several animals and usually have a pet nanny come in. My nanny spends a half hour or more with the critters. My young lab also does not have run of the house so he's in his crate 4 to 5 hours at a time, longer for overnight. The nanny has also taken him to her house (for the days we are gone) where there are a couple of other dogs for him to socialize with.

Just stand in an average kennel for 15 minutes...is this the normal noise and activity level that your dog is used to? Some boarding places are great, they socialize the dogs daily, play with them, etc. You have to check them out. I still prefer an animal nanny.

[attachment deleted by admin]

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

That's a tough one! Being along 22hrs a day, with 4 x 30 min breaks, in a known environment... Or being in an unknown environment with constant noise and unknown people/animals, and limited personal time.

Do you know how much personal time Sami would get in the kennel? Is there time when she would get to play with other dogs or go out in a dog run? With the pet sitter, how vigerous is the exercise during her break? Could you ask for retrieving to tire Sami out a bit more than a leashed walk?

Really, today CoCo only had 1.5hrs out this morning before work, maybe 30-60 minutes at lunch when her aunty (my SIL) takes her out, then not even an hour when I get home before I have to go out again for a few hours, and then maybe an hour when I get home before bed... so its not THAT much different. She'll be in her crate the rest of the time.
    ~Jo & CoCo

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Can't speak to pet-sitters, as we've never used one. Wes gets kennelled when we travel -- which is rarely more than 1x or 2x per year. He adores it -- swimming, romping, plenty of playbuds -- and the staff loves him to pieces (they line up when we leave, each one giving a kiss goodbye!). It's so bad that when he gets home, he treats us like, "Hmmph! Only YOU again. Where are my adoring fans??"

I guess a lot of it has to do w/your individual kennel......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast