we picked up a dog from a couple that we know, she looks like a chocolate lab, she just wandered up and they couldn't keep her.* Beautiful brown eyes, brown coat.* Anyway!!!* I don't know what vaccinations, if any she has had.* Would it be harmful to have her vaccinated again if she has already been vaccinated?* She is so precious,* I am glad we were able to take her and keep her from the pound, but really don't know where to start with her. :-\* The hair on the tip of her tail is missing also, don't know what that might be either.* I am planning on taking her to the vet Thursday evening.* Just looking for advice.
I don't know the answer to your vaccine question but just wanted to say how sweet it is of you to take her in. There are TONS of people on here that will be able to give you good advice, so welcome you have come to the right place.
I beleive most rescues go ahead and vaccinate them again if they are unsure of their vaccination history so I would say go ahead and do it. The vet should be able to give you a better idea of her overall condidtion and if her tail is an issue. Thanks for taking her in hopefully she'll be a great addition to your family.
Your vet may want to vaccinate again just incase she never was. You should take her regardless just to get her a check up. The hair loss on the tip of her tail could be some kind of mange (treatable) I don't believe that vaccinating again will harm the dog but your vet should be able to decide that for you! Good luck
When we first got Copper we didnt know if she had had any or not also. We were going out of town for a week and needed to get everyones boosters. They went ahead and did Coppers also. I ended up staying home with the dogs because one of them had a reaction to one of the shots and we wanted to be able to watch over her.
I know the vet can draw titers but I don't know how expensive that would be.
I would check with your vet. You have to post some pictures of your new girl.
I was going to suggest titers too. I don't know where you are, but we used to do them in So. Cal for our dogs and they only ran about $40 per dog. Since you are keeping the dog, I would do the titers, and then go from there on health issues. You'll probably want a whole health screen done including a heartworm test too.
Just wondering, did you try to find the dogs owners, report him/her to a local shelter? I would be devistated if someone found Duke and just kept him.
I would let the vet deside if she needed to be vaccinated.
I didn't think about contacting the shelter, they live out in the middle of nowhere, so it seems as though she was just set out, but* I'll do that and see if anyone has reported her missing.* Thanks everyone for all the advice.* What is titers?*
It is so nice of you to do all of this. Please post pictures as soon as you can. We didn't know if Brigetta had any shots either so they went ahead and gave her all of her shots and dewormed her. Good luck!
Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence