Tell me if I am doing this right or if I there is something I am missing.

Thread: Tell me if I am doing this right or if I there is something I am missing.

DefaultTell me if I am doing this right or if I there is something I am missing.

Dory has decided recently that she would rather go potty inside than outside. She will go outside with the other dogs walk around then after coming in about 10-15 minutes later she will poop in my kitchen. It has been dry until just recently and now wet with a lot of rain but at this point I don't care if she potties on the patio just go potty OUTSIDE!! I also just raked that back yard thinking that maybe I had missed cleaning stuff while scooping hoping this would help.
    I had this problem when I first brought her home as well. I thought we beat it. But apparently we are having a relaspe for some reason. I didn't get her as a young puppy but as a 6 month old.

This is what I am doing. Check and see if I am doing it right.
    I take all dogs out to go potty.
    If she pottys with everyone no worries she can come in and be with everyone else.
    If she doesn't go potty she goes into a crate and gets a chance to go potty every hour until she does go potty then she can be out to play with everyone else.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Tell me if I am doing this right or if I there is something I am missing.

I am no expert, but it sounds exactly like what you are supposed to do as far as what I have read and heard. When she does her thing, then she gets free roam. SHe should catch on! How often is she being fed? I find that Kimba has a very regular poop schedule bc he gets fed the same thing at the same time every day. I can predict the poops to the minute....
    you may want to cross post on the training advice page as well bc that deals with more issues like this and also search the forum for potty traning...there is tons of good info here!

DefaultRe: Tell me if I am doing this right or if I there is something I am missing.

Hmm, I'd probably just try scolding a little bit when she goes inside and take her out more frequently for a while and see if that helps but it sounds like your doing things right.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rexduke Guest

Be sure that the spot where she poops in the kitchen is very clean afterward, maybe she is pooping there cause the smell is still present.??

8)

I had that problem with one of my dogs as a puppy. Sounds like you are doing the right thing. I would literally make her stay outside until she went. As soon as she did I would tell her good girl and let her back in. Now she is at the point that everytime i let her out to play, before she comes back in, she squats and tries to go one last time! Keep working on it. She should come around soon as long as you are doing what you are doing. She will realize she is missing out on play time and hopefully catch on. Keep us informed! Good luck

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Maybe the spot in the kitchen still has the potty scent. You and I can't smell it but she still might be able to.

Also, is it possible that she doesn't like going potty at the same time as the others in the same area?
    Maybe taking her out at a different time and to a different area might help?

What you are doing though is right...

<3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3