Hot Temps...any advice??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot Temps...any advice??

SirFergus is offline Senior Member

DefaultHot Temps...any advice??

We are suppose to have record breaking temperatures here this weekend and into next week. Usually the hottest it gets here is around 28C(which I think is around 82F) but they are calling for temps in the high 30's (which would be high 90's -100F)!! They are issuing a pet advisory, I guess since we aren't use to those temps they want us to be aware of how it will affect our pets. Is there anything that I can do the help Fergus keep cool & comfortable?? I know there are a lot of people who deal with these kind of temps regularly, so if you have any do's & don'ts to pass along we'd really appreciate it!

Sarah & Fergus
    British Columbia
    Canada

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KristinB is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hot Temps...any advice??

Here's a link from the ASPCA on hot weather tips:

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...hotweathertips

It has been 95-97 F here in Atlanta this week, pretty unbearable. I still take the dogs for a walk, but very short ones, in the early morning or late evening. They really slow down in the heat, I'm starting to notice it more as they age (they are 7 and 8). I also provide extra water, as they drink more in the heat and keep the AC on for them during the day.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

We have pretty warm weather all year round.
    I take Zoe on walks only in the early a.m. (5:30-ish). She stays indoors in air/con.
    No walks or playtime when the sun it out; only in the house.

Once the yard is shaded, we play for about 15 minutes or so. More if she has play pals over.

Kiddie pool for labs who enjoy it. Also beach for Zoe.

If you don't have air con, perhaps a fan. Watch for panting.

Hope this helps a bit.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

claire is offline Senior Member

don't leave them in the car if the car is not running with AC on
    short periods of play outside during the day
    I wouldn't suggest a long walk
    in the evening - perhaps take shorter walks
    my 2 tend to play more in the morning or after dinner

altho it says its 90 right now but feels like 110 here
    shayna was just sunning herself on the back deck LOL
    make sure they have plenty of water

I think mainly the advisory would be for those who keep their pets outside 24/7 without any shade/shelter - being a house dog if you have AC - they'll be fine

hope y'all stay cool!
    [img width=450]http://www.spiderman-3-trailer.com/spiderman_1.jpg[/img]<br /><br />acme pet

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

When our heat and humidity is staggering, as it is now, I just try to keep them happy indoors. If we spend any amount of time outdoors, it's limited to walking around in their (large) yard, letting them run a few laps. NO retrieve sessions. They think they want to play hard, so you have to outthink them. One of my black boys got pretty sick from the heat a few weeks ago (he's fine now) and that's how I learned my lesson.

Fergus will survive a little period of inactivity. If he's is where you are I'll bet he'll be happy as a clam.

Seamus and Flynn

izzy is offline Senior Member

For my dad's dogs before I convinced him they needed to come in the house he bought them a huge fan. Not just the kind you get at Walmart but the kind you see in a barn or a shop the kind that looks like it was in part of a 55 gallon barrel. It was a very powerfull fan and blew the air over the dogs and they loved it. When it got in the dead heat of the summer we added the misting systems onto the fan that dropped the temp around the fan 10-15 degrees. I also treated the dogs to ice water which they loved to chew on the ice. I made chicken broth ice 'pupcicles' for them and I made him get them a kiddie pool so they could go cool down when they wanted too. I told him to keep it in the shade as best as possible and change the water 2-4 times a days so the water would stay cool.
    With all that the dogs did fine and never had a problem.
    IZZY<br />&quot;The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind.&quot; ~ Theodorus Gaza

KristinB is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paddysmom
    When our heat and humidity is staggering, as it is now, I just try to keep them happy indoors.* If we spend any amount of time outdoors, it's limited to walking around in their (large) yard, letting them run a few laps.* NO retrieve sessions.* They think they want to play hard, so you have to outthink them.* One of my black boys got pretty sick from the heat a few weeks ago (he's fine now) and that's how I learned my lesson.

Fergus will survive a little period of inactivity.* If he's is where you are I'll bet he'll be happy as a clam.

Agreed, they do not always know their own limits. You have to monitor (and sometimes stop) their exercise much closer in the heat.

Mooselady is offline Senior Member

We are in the same boat here. Our normal temperatures are in the low 80's this time of year. Today the high is to forcasted for 100-105! I have filled the wading pool for the dogs. Mostly though I am keeping them indoors and encouraging them to not play hard (yeah, right). I froze some chicken broth in cubes and am giving them those along with ice cubes for fun and fluid. Lots of water available too. If you can keep them inside I would, even with AC fans will help. Good luck in the heat!
    <br /><br /><br />&quot;Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole.&quot;&nbsp; Roger Caras

BudGirl8 Guest

Doggie pools (though mine won't lay in hers - we'll be teaching her how to do that even if it takes me laying in it with her until she gets it). We turn the sprinkler on in the yard and she LOVES to run through that and "eat" the water and chase it. My dad suggested soaking her chew toys (ropes, soft toys) in water and freezing them. If nothing else it'll cool their mouths I guess. Kind of like a teething ring for babies. Dunno if it would help cool them off.

If I get the least bit concerned about hydration, I take her food and soak it in water, make it sopping wet so she almost has to drink it. That way I know she's getting a good bit of water too.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Stay in the pool. That's what we do all summer long. Our heat index in July is typically over 100 - 105. We keep wet in the pool and hibernate in the house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast