Titers

Thread: Titers

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultTiters

I just talked to my vet. Simon is due for shots in August, and Angus in October.

We are going to titer this time. Angus seems to have such a hard time with vaccinations every year, so it's especially him I'm concerned about, but I think I'll do it with Simon too.

They said they will charge $86 for the titer and, if for some reason he does not show sufficient immunity, he can come back in and pay for the shot only a month or so later. ;D

I am very pleased about this. I didn't know if it was their policy to charge for another office visit for the return vaccination, but apparently he can just come in and have the shot. IF he needs it. I am betting he will not.

Does anyone else titer? What are your experiences?

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Titers

I dunno, but good for you for going the titer way. I asked our vet about it when it came time for Yeller's shots, and the rabies titer alone here in my neck of the woods is like $300!!! Needless to say I passed on that option, but lucky for me, my vet doesn't like vaccinating every year anyways, and gave us a pass. But, if I get busted by the city for not having an up to date rabies tag, that's a whole different story. I have no solid back up and would have to get one.

Let me know how his titer turned out, I'm very curious actually.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Yup, we titer ;D Tucker had an allergic reaction to his distemper vaccination and we've been titering ever since. As a matter of fact, they just called me back on Monday with results and said we are A-OK this year!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well, I don't know but I think the rabies titer may be more. I remember asking about it once and seems like it was ridiculously expensive. But, that's not even an option to skip because it is required annually here, no ifs ands or buts. They would have to have rabies to attend classes or be boarded. But our club and boarding facility will accept titers. The $86 will test antibodies for Corona, Distemper, Parvo and Lepto. Then, if they show decreased immunity to one of those, they can split out Parvo, Corona or Lepto. If we were unlucky enough to show decreased immunity to distemper, we'd be SOL because that one only comes in a combo. I might have to start making phone calls in that case to see if anyone else can split it out.

Connie and "The Boys":

Amy, do you know if he reacted to distemper specifically, or was it a combo vaccine? Asking because I think a lot of animals react to Lepto.

How long has it been since he had the vaccine? I am just wondering how long immunity can last...?

Connie and "The Boys":

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I don't remember Connie. It was during his puppy shots, I think he had his distemper separate from everything else but I'm not positive. His face swelled up They've been titering ever since and he just turned 5

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

What is titer'ing??

Amy, WOW, you are kidding?? So he hasn't had a vaccination in five years?!?

I think that just proves the whole argument about over-vaccinating!

Vanis, titering is a test to see if they are producing antibodies to specific diseases that they are routinely vaccinated for. The theory being, if they are showing an immunity to the disease, what is the point of vaccinating them? Many people believe that it stresses their immune systems unnecessarily, and that annual vaccines are not necessary.

Some dogs more than others seem to have problems with vaccinations. I've been through puppy shots and then the yearly booster once with Angus, and the result was the same each time. I remember I was so worried about him with his puppy shots I spent the entire day sitting on the hard kitchen floor with him in my lap. It was so, so sad. He quite obviously felt horrible. I thought it was a fluke, but it did plant a seed of concern. Then we got his annual boosters again last year, and it was the same story. He became very listless and looked like he felt horrible. Not just for a day, but for quite a while. Long enough that I had him back in a month later getting blood tests. I vowed then and there not to do that to him again.

I didn't notice anything odd with Simon's shots last year, but I think I will titer him too just because I am of the strong belief that the less interference with the body's natural processes, the better.

Connie and "The Boys":