My dog leaks!

Thread: My dog leaks!

DefaultMy dog leaks!

My BL just loves the water like most labs and until recently I swam her as much as I could. Seems that with alot of water exposure when we come in and she naps she tends to leak out the rear. Don't know if it can be termed peeing as I think she is so full of water that it is just flowing.

Does anyone else encounter this? And after reading Marley, do you salt water dogs injest alot of the stuff and isn't it hard on the kidneys?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My dog leaks!

Lucy leaked urine when she was overtired and sleeping around 2 1/2 years of age. She had no idea she was leaking..
    I took her to the Vet thinking an infection..turns out it was weak bladder muscles often seen in spayed females..she was put on DES(hormone) for a short stint and she hasn't had the problem since.
    Perhaps this is the problem?

Funny you should mention this. We just had the same experience with Halle on the weekend. Lots of swimming that day, it happened twice and I think your right it seem more like water than urine. Hasn't happened again

Liz Halle and Maverick

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

liveelayne is offline Senior Member

Thor did that once. It was actually kinda gross! It may not be the same thing you were talking about...but I took him swimming one time and I think he ingested a lot of the water...and he would squat like he was going to do a number 2 and nothing but WATER shot out! Don't know if the salt water had anything to do with it.

I had a yellow that did that when she was about 2 yrs old. At first the vet (who I now longer see - butthead!) didn't believe me about the leaking when sleeping and questioned me in great detail. About a week after that appointment, she was sleeping on my lap and peed on my leg!!! At that point I was sure and they put her on a drug that helped a lot. Not a hormone, but I can't recall what is was. If I can find the record, I'll let you know.

It was worst when she was really tired, or very anxious, or very excited. She had terrible separation anxiety (a rescue, so not sure about the history) and would sometimes pee in her crate when I walked in the door. Poor baby.

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

We adopted a a female Lab that has spay induced incontinence. She is on Pronin50 3x daily. There are still times she leaks, mostly when she is asleep.

My Gracie was diagnosed with spay incontinence when she was about a year old. She was fine when she was awake and active, but she leaked in her sleep. It is under control now with meds.

Thank you for this thread! Cassie sometimes leaks in her sleep and I thought maybe it was a UTI, but she had no other UTI symptoms. I bet it's spay incontinence and I'll it checked next visit to the vet. I learn so much here - I love this forum!