Ellie has yeast ear infection due to swimming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ellie has yeast ear infection due to swimming

Ellies Mom is offline Member

DefaultEllie has yeast ear infection due to swimming

We've had Ellie, our 2 year old lab for about 3 weeks now. She saw our vet for the first time today. I'd noticed she was rubbing one ear with her paw a couple of nights ago and thought "oh oh". She has been swimming up a storm in our pool, and it looks like she has the doggie equivalent of swimmer's ears.

I did not look in Ellie's ears, but the vet cleaned out dark brown icky yeast drainage from both ears and gave us Otomax ear drops to instill 2 times a day, for 5 to 7 days. The problem is, I don't think we will be able to keep Ellie out of the pool. Our yard is fenced in but not the pool. Our vet says he has the same problem with his labs. We'll do our best to contain her but it is difficult. He also said she may have to continue on the drops for the season.

I asked if there was anything that can be instilled as a preventative after swimming. (Like the isopropyl alchol-based stuff you use for human kids after swimming.) Vet said no. What is everyone else doing to keep your labs ears healthy? Alice
    [img]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Ellie has yeast ear infection due to swimming

Moby our (cm) has the same issues. We are now trying to limit his pool use to just weekends. It is also very difficult for us to keep him out of the because he goes to the gate and cries. Our vet gave us some solution to rinse his ears with after every swim but right now he has a double ear infection. good luck and let me know if you find something that works!

Hi Alice!

Our vets gave us a solution (4-5 drops in each ear) to use in Henery's ears after swimming, or every 1-2 weeks (for maintenance). It's a 2%Burrow's/1%hydrocortisone solution... from what I understand, the Burrows dries out the ears and the hydrocortisone takes down any inflammation/itchiness/redness.

It was a constant battle with Henery's ears for the longest time until we figured out it was a yeast infection (the vets swabbed his ears, then grew the gunk on a petri dish) and got the yeast under control. Now we use the Burrows as a weekly maintenance, and again after he swims.

Hope this helps! ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lebets
    Moby our (cm) has the same issues.
    Sorry, hope Moby feels better also. The Burrows/hydrocortisone solution Henrysmom posted sounds promising. Thanks for the tips so far. I hope to find a place to get a preventative med we can instill to not go through this all summer. Thanks guys. Alice :
    [img]

Dani is offline Senior Member

Hmm...I thought yeast was due to environment and food...not wetness. Rider has been swimming non stop since the pool has been opened and we've not had issues. But the toweling off is his favorite thing. We deep clean the ears too with the towl.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Dani, Henry's was definitely due to diet, as he's not lucky enough to have his own pool!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Hmm...I thought yeast was due to environment and food...not wetness.
    Dani, you're probably right. I don't know what the condition of Ellie's ears were before we got her and I did not note there may be a problem until a couple of days ago. I thought it was due to all of the swimming shes been doing, and the vet seemed to concur. He did not definitively say the infection was caused by swimming, but he did say swimming could make it hard to resolve the infection. Maybe due to the medication washing out of the ears when swimming? We are still learning, and we have not dilligently dried out Ellie's ears everytime she gone into the pool. But then she is now jumping in periodically throughout the day everyday whenever she is out in the yard. The pool is built in, at the back end of our yard and is not fenced in. Sheeze. Alice
    [img]

Cinnamon had major yeast infections as a puppy.* They started after I changed her food so even though the vet said he didn't think it was the cause I changed it again (after the 4th round of treatment).* *I also started her on Zymox that my cousin who is a vet back east sent us I had to wait until the other ear drops she was on was completed.* *You can buy it on-line without a script just google Zymox.* Here is an article about it I don't know if the company planted it or what but it seems to work on Cinnamon and a lot of Jan's patients.
    http://animalpetdoctor.homestead.com/Zymox.html

So I don't know if it was the change of food, the month long new meds or the Zymox.*

Cinnamon does have a pool and swims almost daily.* If I get her when she is wet I use a blow dryer on low and dry out her ears. But then she was already use to being vacuumed from the time she was a puppy.* I also put Zymox in her ears twice a week during swimming season and for 2 or 3 days if I see any gunk other than dirt or they smell funky. I check her ears like others here do poop. They get smelled each evening when I go to bed. I am never going through yeast infections like that again if I can help it. Every time I left the vets office it was over $100 so a $14 bottle of Zymox that keeps the problem from occuring is well worth it to me. And much more important than the money was she was hurting when her ears bothered her.

Quote Originally Posted by azlab
    Cinnamon had major yeast infections as a puppy.* They started after I changed her food so even though the vet said he didn't think it was the cause I changed it again (after the 4th round of treatment).* *I also started her on Zymox that my cousin who is a vet back east sent us I had to wait until the other ear drops she was on was completed.* *You can buy it on-line without a script just google Zymox.*
    Thanks much Azlab, great article and info I have ordered Zymox and it is on it's way! ;D* I ordered from: http://discountpetsdrugs.stores.yahoo.net/index.html.* Ellie came up here to the Northeast from Tennessee.* Maybe the change and our very wet summer is part of the problem.* Also I started out the 1st week feeding her Canidae chicken kibble, with about 1/3 Canidae canned food.* I have been trying to change her over gradually.* She is now eating about 1/2 Candidae and 1/2 Holistic Blend chicken kibble.* (I am trying to get her fully over to Holistic Blend kibble once the Canidae is gone), and she has about 1/3 Newman's Own canned food with the kibble either Chicken with Brown Rice or Turkey with Brown Rice.* So if the meds and keeping her ears as dry as possible do not work, I'll have to look into whether to change the diet completely.* Alice
    [img]

My Lab has had ear infections about 2 times a year...and she has no pool.....she was our first dog with ears that just hang down...we learned a good lesson when I flipped her ears and found them red and yucky....for some reason they didn't smell, and she did not shake her head like a lot of dogs do when they have one....she was in pain, and did not let me know...these Labs our tough...at least Katie is...I felt rotten of course, as it took a long time after before I could check her ears without her cringing...So, flip those ears often! and the strange thing about Katie, this last year when we almost lost her...and we were getting her over valley fever, and getting her red blood cell count back up, she has not had one ear infection...I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the predisone she is on, I plan on asking the vet next time we are in the office...
    Debbie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast