Day # 2 fostering not good

Thread: Day # 2 fostering not good

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

DefaultDay # 2 fostering not good

Today started great then got ugly. Brodie decided today was not going to go as well as yesterday. I thik he is stressed by the new/foster dog. Dakota is hyper and Brodie hates when the two labs play bitey face and will attack them. Brodie has developed an alter ego who I'm calling Fang. Going after the dogs and having a 3 dog scuffle is bad enough. Brodie grabbed the cat and shook it terrier style. The cat is unharmed. I'm lucky enough Brodie sees me as the alpha because me yelling NO loudley breaks it up in seconds even though it feels longer.

So what I have learned today is exitement riles Brodieto the point of nasty dog. I want to make this work very badly. I put Dakota on a leash and Kept him to me. He had plenty or room to move around but was forced to calm down which he did very well. Of course everybody was outside walks, swimming and bitey face. Brodie does noy mind the hyper activity outside. So bitey face will be done outside. I'm worried about work tomorrow and having the 3 fight while my 16 yr old neice is home. I think the two Zoey and Dakota should be seperate from Brodie. That way they can play with Fang making an apperance. If there is no rough housing Brodie could care less if Dakots is in the house. Although why he grabbed the cat is disturbing but the labs were sniffing the cat. Then the tiff between terrier and cat.

Anyone who can offer advise or a smarter way to handle the situation PLEASE feel free to add any advise

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Day # 2 fostering not good

I didn't read your original post so can only reply based on what this post says;
    (1) If Brodie is smaller than the other dogs, he might have gone after the cat since he is bigger than the cat.
    (2) I would crate the foster dog when you or another adult are not there to supervise (I have fostered dogs as well) and let the others be as they normally would.
    (3) During supervised time and outdoors if possible, let them "check" each other out followed by a game of fetch and plenty of supervised free play.
    (4) Give lots of special attention to Brodie and your other dogs.
    (5) Can you keep the cat in a separate room while you're not home?

Fostering is not easy but has amazing rewards.
    Good luck!!

Dani is offline Senior Member

You should really crate your foster while you are working. He has not earned freedom and should not be treated as such. It sounds like you have check Brodie...and while, yes he is your permanent dog, his behavior is unacceptable IMO. Then you need to spend time with each of the dogs individually loving on them without the others present.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

I woke up this morning and walked the gang. Brodie has an ear infection, shaking his head and hold his ear back. Brodie has ears like Bat Man so I can see it is not right. He has never had any ear trould in the 8 yrs I have had him, so maybe thats why he was the dog from hell yesterday. The vet opens at 9 am thats where we will be.

You definately need to crate the new dog for awhile until the pecking order has been established whether one has an infection or not.