HELP!! puppy-safe way to get rid of wasps nest??

Thread: HELP!! puppy-safe way to get rid of wasps nest??

DefaultHELP!! puppy-safe way to get rid of wasps nest??

Some bees/wasps made a nest inside a hole Dakota dug...I think that may be the culprit of her facial swelling issue and need to get rid of it... I know I can't put chemical stuff in there though... my husband wants to fill it up with dirt and suffocate them... is this sufficient? or is there a better way or something puppy-safe from the kitchen we can pour in their first?

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: HELP!! puppy-safe way to get rid of wasps nest??

Do you actually see a wasp nest there in the hole, or is it the kind of bee that burrows in the ground? If the latter, I don't think covering with dirt will help. I don't know how to get rid of them without insecticide, but if you actually see them, spraying with sticky hair spray will kill them. In any event, why not put a temporary fence around it so Dakota doesn't go there.

lablover is offline Senior Member

The only thing I can think of is using powdered Seven. Yes, it is a very mild insecticide. Some people even use it as a flea powder. If use it you should sprinkle a little bit of the powder in the hole at dusk. Bees/yellow jackets become inactive at night.

Good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WD-40 also kills wasps just as effectively as wasp spray, but I have only seen it used when they wasps were building nests in a truck. I don't know how effective it would be spraying it in the ground. I really doubt that covering the wasp hole with dirt would be effective.

Just pondering here, how about flooding the hole? Moth balls? (probably not safe for the pup though). Personally, if you are convinced that there is a ground bee nest there, I'd use wasp spray, wait for the wasps/bees to die and then removed the dirt that came in contact with the spray.

Call an exterminator - they can use permethrin - which kills bees with a fairly low dosage - blow it into the nest to kill em and then cover hole. You'll want to make sure that no more digging takes place for quite a while there though. I was told once that bee's nesting in the ground are the hardest to get rid of.

hmm, ok... my husband dumped a bunch of dirt in the hole last night... there have a been a few buzzing around it today so not sure if they will just get tired of looking for their home and elave- or if this will elimate the problem at all...

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

What about dumping a bucket of hot water down the hole????