Advice for next time?

Thread: Advice for next time?

Taffys Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultAdvice for next time?

As I mentioned, my sister's dog stayed with us a few days this week. I will be having Mystic here again for a weekend mid-August and again the last weekend in August when sis takes my niece to college. Those will both be weekends and I will be home, so we can probably avoid the pooping in the house. And my sister has always kept Taffy for me (before getting Mystic and since) so I absolutely have to do this for her.

I'd like to try to make this easier on Taffy. She really was NOT happy about having Mystic in her house, with her toys (even tho she had her own), her yard, her people, her carpet, etc. She looked so forlorn the whole time. When Taffy stays at her house, she is not like this (and she still is the alpha one even at Mystic's house). But she really did the happy dance when Mystic left the other day.

Is there anything we can do different next time to make this less distasteful for her? Will she just get used to it and accept it? TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Advice for next time?

Our chocolate lab Bo would display the same behavior when another dog came into our home for any extended period of time. I honestly believe he grew to cherish being an only dog having his toys, food and especially his mom and dad ALL to himself. We took in a wounded puppy my husband found and Bo was so put out by this puppy. He was never mean but made it known he was not happy about sharing his home. It was a couple of weeks before we could get the little guy fixed up and found him a new home. Over that short period of time he did adjust but he just wasn't himself. What I am trying to say is your dog may never enjoy the company of another dog but any advice I would give is to show your dog it's still the alpha by feeding it first, treats first and give it individual time. Others may chime in with better advice but I found this helpful in our situation. Good luck!

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Sorry, Denise, but I'm *giggling* just a tiny bit here.

Over the years we would occasionally keep Trenton's dog (Speedy) while the family vacationed. Paddy was very cool toward Speedy staying with us, but polite enough. The happy dance when Speedy was returned home was enough to put Snoopy to shame. "MY house! MINE! All mine again!" Triple spins and wig-wags enough to split himself in two.

Maybe since Taffy has been through the ropes with Mystic at her house once, the second time may be a bit smoother sailing. You know all the right things to do: Taffy goes first, Taffy gets first, Taffy receives higher than usual praise, Taffy gets personal time without Mystic in sight.

She knows Mystic, so let her know that you like Mystic (even if you don't while at your house). Show Taffy that Mystic is welcome... that you LIKE having Mystic in your home.

Or, sit back and watch world war three begin and a pouty Taffy hang-dogging around.

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

I know how you must feel. Buddy has ignored me more than usual the past 10 days with Choco staying here. I really don't think he likes dog company in HIS house. I imagine he will be thrilled when Choco leaves tomorrow.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Denise, no advice. Nance said all the right things.

I remember we had some house guests once who showed up with a dog. A teeny-tiny dog. Unannounced. So, poor Crash was relegated to the back yard for a few days. We were afraid he was so big he could've hurt the tiny dog just by being Crash.

I will never forget the hang-dog looks all weekend. Looking in the French doors like, "What is THIS?" :'(

I think he was, like someone said above, very used to being the only child, and he did not care for sharing his attention either.

I think there's a good shot it will be easier next time. And it will be a shorter period too, right?

Can you do some extra-special things with Taffy while Mystic is there? Extra-special treats? Activities?

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Taffys Mom is offline Senior Member

She knows Mystic, so let her know that you like Mystic (even if you don't while at your house). Show Taffy that Mystic is welcome... that you LIKE having Mystic in your home.
    Oh but I do like Mystic - even at my house. I hope I haven't give the impression that I didn't! She is a real sweetie. And she kept me amused! She would put her chin on the bed and just look at you with those eyes! And she plays ball by herself - which was really cute - and she would sit on the landing and have her front paws on the step below and it was the funniest position! I may have complained about the hair and the poop - but it was nice having 2 dogs.

We did show Taffy we liked her too. Which is maybe why Taf was put out? But we always gave excess lovings on Taf too. And we did what you've all suggested. We did feed Taf first and give her treats first, etc. Hopefully, next time will be easier on her and by the 3rd time...she may just put out the welcome mat!