I stumbled upon an effective command!

Thread: I stumbled upon an effective command!

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultI stumbled upon an effective command!

With so many dogs it can get pretty noisy when the mailman comes to the porch or someone they don't approve of walks in front of the house. They ALL go nuts.

I used to react by bellowing "That's enough!" Dad would add to the din by bellowing "Quiet!" It just added to the noise. Without thinking, one day I called out my "That's enough!" with a "SHHHH!" attached to the end. Right. Like they're gonna know what "shhhh" means.

Well after months of doing that, guess what? I just say "SHHHHH!" and the racket STOPS. Admittedly, sometimes it only lasts three or four seconds, but I usually only have to "shhhh!" twice and they stop for good.

So now instead of increasing the noise level by bellowing, I just add the sound of a leaky radiator. Much easier on the ears.

Seamus and Flynn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I stumbled upon an effective command!

Maybe it's because they never heard "SHHH " before. I found that if I give a new command, they stop and think " what??? That may mean serious consequences if we don't obey." It's kind of fear of the unknown. If mine are barking out of control, I usually say "Be Quiet!" or "No Bark" which they ignore. But if I say "Put a lid on it" or "Give it a rest" or anything out of the ordinary, they stop.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

I'll need to try that w/my Ms. Barker.
    Sometimes at 4:30 a.m. out in the yard, it can be quite annoying; however if she's barking at a cat, she'll probably put on her deaf ears. :
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Buddy knows quiet most of the time. I let him bark when anyone comes to the door. I want people to know I have a vicious dog at my house.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Taffys Mom is offline Senior Member

Leaky radiator! HA!

Glad it works for you. No such luck here. Taffy also does the barking in the middle of the night like Zoe if she needs to go out and a --- gasp --- leaf blows by :. She loves to run the perimeter of the fence making a racket. Maybe she is letting anyone on the other sides know she means business? Nothing has worked to shut her up!