ID microchip?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ID microchip?

DefaultID microchip?

My hubby and I were discussing the idea of getting an ID chip put in Bailey. Pro's, con's etc. I was wondering what experiences have you had with them?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: ID microchip?

No cons...only pros. Get it for the safety of your dog. Doesn't hurt. Costs are minimal to the piece of mind if your dog gets out without tags on.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Nellie has the Avid chip. All LRR dogs are chipped. Since it is about the size of a grain of rice it has no effect on the dog and can not be felt. I have it tested once a year at the lab rescue picnic. Unfortunately my vet uses another brand and can't check to see if it is still working. I would recommend for all dogs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Yes, absolutely get one. It's a little extra insurance and, as Dani said, there is no down side.

Sometimes the local Humane Society or Animal Control will do them at a cut rate. I think the going rate at the vet's is about $30 -$45, depending on where you live.

The two most popular brands and AVID and HomeAgain. We have AVID, as we called and asked the Humane and Animal Control which brand they recommeded. They both work equally well and either can be read by the other's scanner, but the report we got was that AVID answered and forwarded calls more promptly. Another up side of AVID is the chip is also numbered and registered to the place who put it in, so if for some reason you couldn't be reached, the contact info would default back to whoever put it in (in our case, our vet). AVID is also used worldwide, and is the chip that zoos use to ID their animals.

Can you tell I'm a bit partial? :P Either way, though, it's a good investment in peace of mind.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

All of our dogs have always had one....it is just one more way for them to be identified....I know there has been some issue that all scanners do not read all chips etc...but it is still worth it. Our Bailey had one and when she was adopted from us, all we did was e mail the company and they changed the contact information from us to the new owner, just like that. Get one!

The main thing that I worry about is that vets in our area will not have the scanners to check for the chip. Just wonder how common the scanners are... or does it just come down to us calling each vet in the area to inquire?

most vets should have scanners since most sell them. I believe the scanners themselves are given to vets and shelters for free. I say go for it. There is no downside to having one put in (except the initial cost) and at worst you'll never have to rely on it because your lab never gets lost (which is ok by me ;D )

BUT, even if you do get a micro chip, continue to keep your dogs tags on at all times. Like you said, a lot of people wouldn't know to take your dog to a vet or shelter to check for a microchip so they wouldn't have a way to ID him. Also, I'm very paranoid because the local shelters in my area have been very irresponsible and have been euthanzing/adopting out stray dogs that DID have the microchip. It seems workers were forgetting to scan for chips. Very sad and aviodable if the dogs would have had visible ID on them.

We have Home Again microchip in our pup with no problelms. It is good to know he can be indentified if need be.

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

As everyone else has said, all pros & no cons to getting your new pup micro-chipped.

Lexi came to me from Labs4Rescue already microchipped. She has a tag on her collar, in addition to her other tags (name, rabies, dog license), that shows her chip number and the phone number to call if she were to get loose.

You said your husband does not like the sound of the tags jingling on the collar, why not get a collar that has the tag on it. I've seen a few places where you can get collars with stuff embroidered into them or with metal tags on them.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

I got Buddy his about 2 years ago. No problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast