foster not a big eater any suggestions?

Thread: foster not a big eater any suggestions?

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

Defaultfoster not a big eater any suggestions?

Dakota the resident foster does not eat very well, he walk by take a few bites and thats it. He takes treats well and drinks well. He has gone potty since being here. I'm trying to encourage him to eat. I have to sit with him so he eats. One thing I can tell the family who shows interest in adopting him there is no food agression what so ever. He is very thin he is tall and so skinny 43 pounds about a year old. I swear my thigh is bigger than his back end. When I first saw him yesterday he reminded me of the dog on the SImpsons because he is so skinny. Poor Zoey looks like a tank next to him. I guess I will give him some time to adjust all though he walked in like he ownwd the place loves everybody even the Kitty cats. He walked up to the old cat and Warren just looked at him like these stripes do not run. Dakota went down into a play bow Warren just looked at him. Oreo the other Kitty plays with all the dogs and has to be whereever they are. That cat thinks he is a dog in fact i just call him cog. Everyone looks well adjusted maybe more time in the eating catergory is needed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: foster not a big eater any suggestions?

I'd give him time to adjust to your home. If he still doesn't show much interest in eating try mixing in some treats (canned baby food, veggies, cottage cheese, etc.). Good luck.

Dani is offline Senior Member

He will adjust. He won't starve himself. Try moistening his food with a little tepid water. Give him 15 minutes to eat, even if you have to sit right there with him. Then watever he doesn't eat, gets picked up and that is what he get's served for his next meal.

The thing with most rescues is that they have been without a routine or regimine for so long that they just need to understand house rules and routine. He'll pick it up if you are diligent.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

Thanks Dani

That is basicly what I did I put him in my room and his bowl next to the computer desk. All three eat if different areas. Zoey wolfs her food in 2 seconds and eats in the living room. Brodie eats in the Kitchen he takes his sweet time eating and prefers company and Dakota was with me. I left the food down for him for 15 min and then picked up his and Brodies. There dishes are now on the fridge out of Zoeys reach. I may offer Dakota more of it in few hours. My two eat twice a day. I like that fact you pointed out he may not have a routine I had not considered that.

Rebecca

Dani is offline Senior Member

Nope, don't give him it again in a few hours. Give his bowl when it's the next meal time. Do NOT add to it. He won't starve, trust me.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003