Simon's Recall

Thread: Simon's Recall

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultSimon's Recall

We took the boys to the old neighborhood yesterday, since we were going to a cookout last night, so they would be good and spent for a few hours :P

We had them both off leash. This was the first time since the collar incident a while back that they've been, and I had meant to take their breakaway collars for this occasion, but ran out and forgot them. They were doing all kinds of bitey-neck and it was making me so nervous, so the collars came off.

The old neighborhood has several big "fields" where houses used to be, and at the back of the properties there is some woods and a creek. About a half hour into our visit, the boys started loping off towards the woods. We don't allow going into the woods where we can't see them. So we started calling them back.

They were at the treeline when Angus turned around and came bolting back to me. ;D Good boy!

Simon, on the other hand, disappeared into the woods. >

Thank goodness there were two of us. I held Angus (with my arms, as we were a good piece away from his collar and leash), and Kevin went into the woods to find Simon. He was in there running back and forth in the creek.

I guess he was just hot and trying to cool off. But we can't have him not coming when we call. There is a neighborhood on the other side of the woods. And he didn't have on any ID. Man, it scared me to death.

We don't usually have that problem at the lake...they both always stay in the water or right at the water's edge.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Simon's Recall

Ruh-roh Simon!! You better come when you're called next time mister.

I can't wait for the day that Molly comes when called 100% and I don't have to "reel" her in lol
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Simon, you naughty boy. Buddy sometimes blows me off in our field. If we're away from home, he's 100% reliable on a recall. Guess he figures he might have to walk home if doesn't come.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Seamus is my only 100% lab. Always has been. Paddy has always been "selectively deaf" when in the field (playing fields) and Flynn... well, Flynn :

Seamus and Flynn

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

Nance called it right for my girl......She is "selectively deaf" 100% of the time. So I can't really trust her...she may come or maybe not.....depends on her moment.
    Bad Bad Bad...
    [IMG]/[/IMG]

Pattons Padre is offline Member

They aren't always popular, but a shock collar will do the trick.

Rommel was a 0%er, take him off leash and he couldn't care less what you have to say.

We put him on the collar and he turned in less than 2 weeks.* We still make him wear it when we go out, but we rarely have to actually put a charge to it.* A quick whistle or 'Rommel, come' and he'll peel off and head back.* He usually takes a broad turn around me when he gets back, but it gets him back where I need him to be.

Patton can get selective hearing, but he's usually pretty good.* At this point, Rommel is probably better than Patton on recall and it's all because of that collar.