Fetching v. Non-Fetching Labs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fetching v. Non-Fetching Labs

Dawn is offline Senior Member

DefaultFetching v. Non-Fetching Labs

Wondering how many of your labs like to fetch. I would have assumed the desire to fetch to be one of a lab's main traits, but Mocha never had any interest whatsoever in it. Kind of interestingly, few of the dogs from her breeder tend to care about fetching. I guess you'd call her a bench lab, but I don't know whether or not that has anything to do with it. Whereas Bodie would fetch all day if you let him. You can just see the drive for it in his eyes. Any thoughts about this? I'm curious, as we are thinking of getting a new pup from Mocha's breeder, but then again, we really enjoy a dog that likes to play, and I'm afraid that the new pup wouldn't.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MYJAKE is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Fetching v. Non-Fetching Labs

It is fun having two. I get to see the opposite of everything. Jake will fetch all day long if you let him. On the other hand, Brody will not fetchor run after anything, but you can throw the ball to him all day long and he will catch it. I have classified Brody as a Labrador catcher, instead of retriever.
    I have a feeling that this will depend completely on the dogs personality and not if they come from the same litter. Maybe somebody has two from the same breeder and can tell you if the personalities are totally opposite...
    Gary - Owned by Jake and Brody in Georgia

My Presley (the black) loves fetch, if she could actually find someone to play with her! She pesters you all day and all night if she had her way! I try not playing fetch with her due to both back leg repairs for ACL.

My yellow Jake doesn't even know what a ball is for lol.. His verson of a ball,stick,bumper,whatever else is for chewing up!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

Lucy has no interest in fetching on land..she will go a few rounds if treats are involved but that's it. She will retrieve in the water much longer but still she loses interest. Not her thing. I have no idea why she isn't into it.
    My Cairn at 14 weeks will retrieve more than Lucy...go figure.

georgie is offline Senior Member

My two are not from the same breeder. Molly does not have the desire/drive to fetch like Abby. But a man in our club has Molly's sister & she has more of a desire to fetch. Then our breeder of Abby said one of Abby's littermates had a hard time learning to swim & was not comfortable in the water yet.
    So I guess they all have their own personalities.

I still believe in seeing or knowing the parents. Abby's lines are all master hunters & have a strong desire to fetch & are great markers.

But I know for what Molly may not have in desire/drive she makes up in heart. She got her started title in NAHRA & I am training her now for the next level. We are just having fun.

WigWag Guest

All my dogs are bench/show bred and all are good retrievers and enjoy a round of fetch. Scout has the least amount of desire and it took her until she was about 2 years old to build up to retrieving for about 10 - 15 minutes. When "in the mood" she will go and go and go, however she is not very persistent in the field through thick cover and on long water retrieves. Cuffy comes next and enjoys retrieving toss after toss, however other things may distract him like other dogs or the chance to poke around a shore or new field. Clint and Wigeon are the "pests" and want you to kick, toss, throw, or chuck anything and everything as long as possible. They will retrieve anything not nailed down and do so probably until they passed out.

Henery will fetch until:
    a) your arm falls off
    b) he drops over in exhaustion

Seriously. He is one ball-driven lab. ;D

Hannah would fetch anything that she could physically pick up.

Labz4Me is offline Senior Member

Henery will fetch until:
    a) your arm falls off
    b) he drops over in exhaustion
    Henery must be Abby's soul mate. She will retrieve/catch a ball all day.

Jack doesn't retrieve at all....but he will catch a ball as along as it's thrown straight up in the air. He can jump very high from a standing position. If you throw a ball straight at him from a distance, it usually hits him in the head.* : That's my boy!

Pat from S.E. Pa
    Abby - CGC
    Jack - OCP (official couch potato)

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn
    I guess you'd call her a bench lab, but I don't know whether or not that has anything to do with it
    Nope that has nothing to do with being called a "bench Lab". That's just an unoffical term used to distinguish hunting labs from show labs. Bench coming from the dog show term of "Benched Shows".

Different dogs, different personalities, different breeding. If your dogs breeder paid no attention to keeping drive in her animals, it's easily to end up with labs with little to no drive. Each of my 3 retrieve differently. Hudler barely, but more so if none of the other dogs are around. Maddy lives for it. Grace is super competetive so she'll do it to compete, but not on her own. And if you put them in a real fun situation like retrieving bumpers in a lake or river, they all act like HIGH DRIVE retrievers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast