Your Take on Zoe's Behavior
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Take on Zoe's Behavior

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultYour Take on Zoe's Behavior

Zoe is highly socialized. She has shown no aggression toward other dogs. We have all sorts of doggie visitors at home, and when introducing a new dog to her, it is done in our yard, with no problem at all.

At the beach, she sees dogs ...small chihuahuas to large great danes and nearly every size, breed and color inbetween. She pays them very little attention. New dogs may get sniffed, but she comes right back to me. She's usually in the water looking for rocks, fish or crabs, : or walking with me on the sand. People and dogs pass....and nothing, little or no reaction.

However, there is one dog...looks like a rottie mix...sweet girl. This has happened twice. If Zoe is in the water, quickly swims to shore, runs up to this dog, hackles up and snarls, as if she's ready to attack. The rottie just stands there, or sits there. I call Zoe to me, and she'll come back.

The 3rd time, she ran up, didn't snarl, and the owner quickly gave her a treat.

I don't know what to make of this strange behavior. Neither does the Rottie's owner. Lucikly he's been friendly to me.

We did have 2 rotties in our neighborhood that were trained to be "dog attackers" but I don't think Zoe has ever seen them.

Thoughts?
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Your Take on Zoe's Behavior

LIke Zoe Nellie has never met a dog she didn't like but there is one dog in my neighborhood, a collie, that she absolutely hates. The collie is very shy and fear aggressive so I keep Nellie as far away as possible.
    I guess like humans dogs just dislike some other dogs.

oh, and I'd like to add that she does to to doggie daycare and has no problem there. Sometimes there are up to 26 dogs! She just lays around and observes.
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hmmm.....

Has anything ever happened between the rottie and Zoes? A dog that seems to be doing "nothing" can, in fact, be staring down (quite rudely) another dog. We have one of those in the neighbourhood. Just sits on his lawn and quietly stares down passing dogs, who all have to bark back at it.

*scratches head*

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    Hmmm.....

Has anything ever happened between the rottie and Zoes? A dog that seems to be doing "nothing" can, in fact, be staring down (quite rudely) another dog. We have one of those in the neighbourhood. Just sits on his lawn and quietly stares down passing dogs, who all have to bark back at it.

*scratches head*

ha, very well could be. This rottie dog either just sits or stands around w/her owner, and watches the world go by. LOL The other dogs are running around like crazy monkeys chasing balls, swimming, barking...
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

A dog that seems to be doing "nothing" can, in fact, be staring down (quite rudely) another dog.
    Oh BOY!* Nice observaton, Felicia.* (I think Felicia posted that).* It is exactly what Flynn can do to Paddy to set him off like I've never seen before.* It's just a seemingly innocent stare... a posturing that to us is imperceptable... but in the dog world it means CHALLENGE!

Or Zoe just doesn't like the cut of his jib.* *

Seamus and Flynn

Watch the rottie next time, Linda, and see if that's what's happening. It's unusual for a very well socialized, well behaved dog as Zoe to suddenly go bezerker like that. The stare-down is a HUGE challenge.

Ours comes from this tiny poodle frou frou mix thing that stares down all dogs who go by, and otherwise normal and well behaved dogs go nuts.

I couldn't figure out why Henery would raise his furs and MeanBark at this dog until I started watching it. Now I'll put myself between Hen and this dog, and get him to "watch me" as we walk wide out on the street when we pass this house. As long as Henry doesn't make eye contact with the dog, he's fine.

Or, like Nance said, maybe Zoe just doesn't like this particular dog?

Felicia, so do you think the rottie is challenging Zoe (like inviting her to fight)?* When Zoe goes up to her, the rottie does absolutely nothing.* no bark, no growl, she doesn't even stand up.*

Anyways, hope we see them tomorrow.* I will watch and see.* Maybe she doesn't like the 2 brown spots above her eyes.* LOL* Most dogs she's seen do not have 'dem brown spots on black fur.* LOL
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

When Zoe goes up to her, the rottie does absolutely nothing. no bark, no growl, she doesn't even stand up.
    Linda, that is very common "challenge" posturing. Only the dogs are in tune to it.

Didn't you ever walk into a conference room full of people and just sense that one guy or girl there is poised to challenge? A glint in the eye, a more than ordinary calmness, a standoffishness... polite to the group, but YOU sense he/she is going to be trouble?

It's a visceral thing, I guess.

Seamus and Flynn

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

I think Felicia might be onto something! Rotties are notorious "starers." They can cause trouble even when they don't mean to because of their bulgy eyes and intimidating body postures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast