I finally know what it's like to clip the nail too short

Thread: I finally know what it's like to clip the nail too short

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultI finally know what it's like to clip the nail too short

Poor Sky - I felt so bad. I was clipping nails last night and she jumped just at the wrong time. I checked her and she seemed fine so I thought I was okay. About 10 mins. later she comes walking into the kitchen with a nice blood trail across the carpet. I quickly got out my quick stop and applied it and then went about cleaning everything up. Unfortunately she managed to lick everything off and the bleeding starting right up again. Wow, they sure can bleed. I finally got some gauze and wrapped her foot up so she'd leave it alone. I wish I had a picture - she really put on the sad face as sje limped to bed. But at least she left it alone thru the night and it isn't bleeding anymore.

Gosh, I really don't know if I'll be able to do this again. I just may have to try a dremel tool, but I'm worried she'd freak out with that too!
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I finally know what it's like to clip the nail too short

Sorry ....

Did it to Zoe on her first home toenail trim ever, and since then, I've been taking her to the vet to have them done.

Yes, they certainly bleed a lot! (for what seems like such a little cut)
    It eventually stopped, but then started bleeding again the next day at the beach.
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

BuddyHsMom is offline Senior Member

How often do you need to trim the nails? We have never done Buddy's (he's 5 mo.) and I don't know that I would want to do it myself? How do you tell when they are too long?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyHsMom
    How often do you need to trim the nails?* We have never done Buddy's (he's 5 mo.) and I don't know that I would want to do it myself?* How do you tell when they are too long?
    I get them clipped when I hear her clicking on our tile.
    Zoe actually gets them "filed down" to some degree by walking on concrete. I take her in about every 6 weeks.
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

georgie is offline Senior Member

I have done that too & always feel bad. I am nervous & just cut the very tip off for awhile. Don't be nervous. It happens. The quick stops helps & they are fine.
    I hate seeing the nail bleeding too.

We do Larry's toenails once a week with a Dremel tool. It's a small handheld sander that works really well for filing down doggie nails.

My mom does this with both Tess & Emma (her girls). It's great because you can actually see how close you're getting with black toenails, so it's very rare that you nick them past their quick (unless you're not paying attention).

The downside is that it takes longer (usually 15 mins or so with Larry, but Mom does both of her girls in about 15). The upside is that you don't have to pay a groomer or your vet to do it, and you can keep nice, neat looking nails.

darkchocngold is offline Member

Clipping dog nails had always been one of my least favorite dog chores. When we got Maddie I once again had BLACK nails to trim, which are the hardest. She also wanted nothing to do with having me touch her nails and I had no desire to haul her to a groomer and pay for the work.
    For weeks we "practiced" just messing with the feet - then treat. We moved on to clip one nail and turn on the Dremel tool and treat.
    I now trim Maddie and Shelby's nails with the Dremel once a week. I would say a ten minute job. No more clicking nails on the hardwood floor or scratching up the deck - well, change that to LESS scratching up the deck!
    <br />Shelby and Maddie<br />Springfield, MO

Allie is offline Senior Member

I haven't had a bleeder on one of my dogs, but we clipped our MIL's chocolate lab Cocoa's nails when she was here, and damn did I hit a bleeder...she didn't seem to be in pain, but I was HORRIFIED. It bled and bled and bled and bled....we finally had to wrap up her foot in a sock and secure it with gauze. It was awful. I hate Teddy's and Emily's black nails so they are probably not cut as close as they could be.
    Allie, Teddy (6), Emily (7), and Ivy (4)