Larry the Cattle Dog
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Larry the Cattle Dog

DefaultLarry the Cattle Dog

Wow, I had quite an interesting morning.

Before work in the mornings, I normally get up, shower, and get ready for work before letting Larry out of his kennel. Then he goes out for his morning potty break, then back inside for breakfast. Well, Larry decided he didn't wanna follow the normal routine this morning.

We live out in the country, and my cousins have a cow pasture that adjoins our backyard. Larry has never showed tremendous interest in the cows, so I have start letting him off leash more and more. He has done very well with this and I thought his recall was starting to become pretty solid. Apparently I was incorrect in thinking this.

Well, this morning when we went out for his morning potty break, he decided he wanted to know what it was like to be a cattle dog, so off he goes to the pasture. I called, turned and ran to get him to chase me, but it was all to no avail. Before I knew it, he had all 20 or so calves grouped together at the back of the pasture and had them running from one side of the pasture to the other.

So I jump in the car, hurry to the far end of the pasture, and jump out to catch him. After about 10 minutes of running around and ignoring me, he finally decides he has had enough, stops chasing the cows, and trots proudly back to the house, still ignoring me. :

When I finally got back to the house, he was at the back door, wet from head to toe from the morning dew, panting like crazy, and looking at me like he had done no wrong. Meanwhile, my freshly ironed khakis were covered in dew, dirt, and possibly cow manure.

Needless to say I was not a very happy with the fur-kid this morning. > Now I can't help but laugh about it. He was having the time of his life, and was actually doing a damn good job of herding the calves.

Looks like it's back to being on the leash full-time again, though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Larry the Cattle Dog

That is too funny...love the siggy pic!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Now you can add" cattle rustler" to the wanted ad, and up the reward.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Naughty boy! Sometimes they just get something stuck in their heads and no matter what the consequences are they do it anyway. Been there time and time again

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

Baaaaaaad Larry. olice:

You are very fortunate that he did not 'put them through the fence'. >

Maybe put a hot wire (smooth electrified - not barbed) on that fence line between your yard and the calf pasture. Put it low enough where he will 'hit' it and learn to avoid the pasture.

Either that or offer to pay your cousin's hiked up liability insurance.

This is not cutesy fun and games; loose cattle in a neighborhood can cause a lot of damage, especially if they get out on the roadway and cause an accident. olice:
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

Maybe you should put him in front of a mirror for a week or so, showing him he's a lab...otherwise, he may start thinking he's a border collie.

Head 'em up, move 'em out, Lar!

Is it possible for anyone here to make a simple post and not be criticized?

Quote Originally Posted by talleyJudy
    You are very fortunate that he did not 'put them through the fence'. >
    I understand, and am very grateful that he didn't.*

Maybe put a hot wire (smooth electrified - not barbed) on that fence line between your yard and the calf pasture.* Put it low enough where he will 'hit' it and learn to avoid the pasture.
    There is an existing hot wire around the pasture now, that he has 'hit' more than once.* This morning was the rare occasion that he slipped under it without bumping it.

This is not cutesy fun and games; loose cattle in a neighborhood can cause a lot of damage, especially if they get out on the roadway and cause an accident.
    Never once did I say this was cute or acceptable behavior.* I was and still am very upset that he did it, but I chose to laugh at the results, as Larry or none of the cows were hurt and the cows did not run through the fence.* And even if they did, as I said before, I live in the country.* Luckily, there are no major highways around, only dirt roads that require people to drive slow, so an accident would be highly unlikely.

I appreciate your concern, but please know the situation before you decide to criticize.* I am not a child and do not appreciate being talked down to.

Quote Originally Posted by Djc1249
    Maybe you should put him in front of a mirror for a week or so, showing him he's a lab...otherwise, he may start thinking he's a border collie.* *
    I might have to try that one*

After I found out he wasn't hurt, I must admit I'm pretty amused. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Djc1249
    Head 'em up, move 'em out, Lar!
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom
    Now you can add" cattle rustler" to the wanted ad, and up the reward.
    I second the motion. Get on it, boy.

Would have loved to have seen that!!!!!!!! Sorry I am laughing here, way to go Larry I bet he was just bustin' to do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast