Cesar Millan?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cesar Millan?

DefaultCesar Millan?

I was just curious how you all feel about his philosophy and training methods with dogs. I personally think he's incredible and am trying to stick to what I've learned from him about being the pack leader and the "rules, boundries, and limitations" he encourages. It's a little hard when dealing with a 9 wk old, but I figure it's better to start from day one then to try to fix a problem after they've been there a few weeks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Cesar Millan?

Puppies are just like little children in one respect - it's much easier to teach them when they are young then to try and change all the rules when they get older! Good luck. Welcome to the adventures of your life.

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

You'll probably find a mix of opinions here, some people like him and some don't. I think he talks alot of sense regarding setting rules and boundaries and being the pack leader. I think I've learned alot from watching him. Some of these things, I had already known about from other sources but it didn't click until I saw it.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Cesar makes a lot of really good points in his book, Cesar's Way. There are a few things I don't necessarily agree with, but for the most part, his information is very, very helpful.

Okay regarding the post just above..that freaked me out! My pup is called ranger too! And of course our user names are similar...I thought "I don't remember posting that...and who are those dogs???"*

About Cesar - I too already did a lot of what he said in regards to pack leader. But I think he is the bomb. I like to draw information from all trainers/people. Because there is no one way that always works. However, I have used his techniques on corrections and not only my dogs - but strange dogs as well. The dogs listen!

It makes sense - exercise, discipline and then affection. ESPECIALLY for lab owners. I know my pup doesn't listen to me as well if he hasn't been exercised and in a calm state of mind.

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

Okay regarding the post just above..that freaked me out! My pup is called ranger too! And of course our user names are similar...I thought "I don't remember posting that...and who are those dogs???"

Hey, I don't have a chocolate lab? By the way, I love your dog's name.

(Vanis - sorry about the post hijack)

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

WigWag Guest

I think he is terrific. His methods are not "magic" or "amazing" though in my opinion since he simply explains dog behavior and how to express yourself to a dog. Too many people think of their dogs as people and I always say that I think a dog would NOT take that as a compliment. People are always surprised that I say that I treat my dogs like dogs and not like humans because they think somehow that I love them less because of this when that is on the contrary. I love and spoil my dogs but I give them what dogs want and need and love.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by WigWag
    I think he is terrific.* His methods are not "magic" or "amazing" though in my opinion since he simply explains dog behavior and how to express yourself to a dog.* Too many people think of their dogs as people and I always say that I think a dog would NOT take that as a compliment.* People are always surprised that I say that I treat my dogs like dogs and not like humans because they think somehow that I love them less because of this when that is on the contrary.* I love and spoil my dogs but I give them what dogs want and need and love.*
    I like his philosophy and I think what you stated about them not being humans and having different needs is critical to having a good relationship with your dog. Admittedly if I had not been doing my research I would probably have fallen prey to this same thinking. If you recognize your Lab is a dog, and realize it needs and communicates different than we humans do, seems to me you love your dog more because you take the time to understand and behave accordingly.

I think what he teaches is good... and practical. It seems to work for more than just one person.

I think I'd like it better if he wasn't on 20 times a day filling up my TiVo :P

I just finished reading his new book a couple of weeks ago. I have only seen the show a few times and saw him on Oprah and was impressed. The walk part is definitely key and works well for us since we live in the city. I am trying to follow most of his stuff. It is pretty hard to withold affection sometimes when I know he is bugging me for it. Lately though he is going through another naughty streak and I wonder if he is challenging us now that we are trying to take over the pack. I think I need to get him a backpack to tire him out more on his walks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast